[W] MiG-23MLD Flogger-K - Trumpeter 1:32.

Gelerth

Hi,

Few days ago I finished my sixth model in 1:32 and as it was A-10 it also was a fourth plane is US markings that's why I decided to go to the east and choose one of the former USSR planes. I have Su-27 but I'm not ready to it yet, also Su-25 was not a good choose as I just finish CAS plane. So the choice was simple: MiG-23MLD.

In quite a big box half of sprues is for armament - various missiles, bombs, gun pods, fuel tanks etc but MLD was an ultimate fighter so mostly air to air missiles were carried.

Plane have 7 mounting points but only 4 are available as the central one and left and right ones are reserved for fuel tanks.

I decide to mount 2 R-24R (1 per pylon) missiles and 4 R-60 (2 per pylon) in configuration as below:

001.jpg

After gluing I had to sand it a little bit, rescribe some lines, paint with primer and sand a little more:

001.jpg

In the meantime I ordered a Aires detail set (2196)

http://www.aires.cz/get/image.php?object=product-photo&id=2287

And also a Pitot tube from Master, Air Scoops and Chute brake from Quickboost.

Still I'm not sure about painting as Trumpeter is offering two quite interesting schemes, but in the meantime I found on the wiki interesting photo:

Monument_Mig-23.jpg

Camo like Su-27 and idea for a base. 

Waiting for resin parts I'm trying to glue and prepare as many parts as I can:

001.jpg

Love the flogger, will be watching with interest

Thank you.

Great idea for a display base. This will look superb.

Quite cool. I have to think how to build it and attach plane to it.

I received pack of resin parts.
IMG_2776.JPG

At the begining I try to fit the main wheel wells as the attachment is a little bit different then kits parts - they are open at the top while resin have all the sides full.
To properly attach some plastic blocks have to be removed from one of the part supporting wings.
IMG_2777.JPG

Next I tried to fit exhaust. It is larger in diameter then kits one, so a lot of plastic have to removed from the rear halves of hull:
IMG_2779.JPG

This is how it fits:
IMG_2778.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG

Unfortunately exhaust is a little bit smaller then end of the hull:
IMG_2783.JPG

Those parts will be fitted in the engine:
IMG_2781.JPG

More to come soon - I glued a lot of parts but some of them have to reshaped or cut to properly fit resin parts.

Today I tried to visualize the monument and the plane on the base:

MiG-23.jpg

Angle of the plane is not too big as the base with plane should not exceed 25cm in height.

Then I had to destroy some more parts to fit resin:
IMG_2785.JPG

And I sand smooth the air intake, but probably it won't be seen after mounting:
001.jpg

I paint wheel wells (without wash yet):
001.jpg

And a color check for cockpit:
001.jpg

That's an amazing start. The resin engine looks very beautiful and your paint job on the wheel bays is outstanding.

I'll be following this one for sure !

Thank you very much.

Awesome! I'm thinking of doing a 23 right away here!

Don't think about it. 

Do it as soon as you can.

In the meantime I finished cockpit and ejection seat:

IMG_2791.JPG
IMG_2792.JPG
001.jpg
IMG_2793.JPG

I decided that I won't install electronic bays as  plane on monuments usually do not have such hatch opened so I glued frotn fuselage parts with cockpit and front gear bay. It's not perfect but it's better that I expected as halves do not fit only in ole place:
IMG_2796.JPG

Anyway this place will be covered with canopy, so I do not mess with it not to break to much. I only had to cut canopyy a little in one spot and glue some HIPS in another:
IMG_2797.JPG

I glued also the main gear bays:
001.jpg
001.jpg

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out how to build a strong and light monument, I started with some 4mm thick plaster blocks:
IMG_2805.JPG
001.jpg

I will carve a bricks on them later.

I glued front windscreen (it covered with maskol)...:
IMG_2808.JPG

... and ejection seat:
001.jpg

Now I'm waiting to vaporate rest of CA glue (otherwise it might damage canopy shield) so on photo it is only temporary to see how it fits:
IMG_2813.JPG

Then I finally put together a wing moving mechanism - I had to modify it a little bit as it was too loose and wing were moving freely without control:

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

Then with regret I glued airbrake elements as again monument planes cannot have such parts open:

IMG_2810.JPG

And dry fit on all main components:

001.jpg

I'm still thinking how to do an option to open/close tail to reveal engine - I started from the kits parts - then I will try to add some wiring:

IMG_2815.JPG

To fit with resin parts of engine, kits one have to cut almost in half:

IMG_2814.JPG

Dry fit of plastic and resin parts:

001.jpg

So far that's it... More to come soon...