F-4E Phantom 57 th FIS decals

dogface1956

Not in 1/32 there have been some done by individuals as "very" limited. There was a member here who did them a number of years back but I can not recall his name.

Barry

57th_FIS_2_zpsykopefqv.jpg

57th_FIS_zpsa2cc2s48.jpg

Edited by Barry

Joe,

I successfully completed layered vector artwork for F-4E 66-300 as it appeared in 1978-79 with crew names, lances, knight's head on the tail etc but could not afford screen printing. The digital printing I had prototyped by Draw Decal proved to be too thick and hopeless at conforming to shapes.

If you or anyone else know of a digital printer decal maker who can handle two layers (white, then other colours + black on top) I will get half a dozen printed.

If that fails, there is the outside possibility I will pay for professional multi-layer screen printing by Fantasy Print Shop early next year.

Hope that helps,

Tony

Quirky Decals

I've always had a soft spot for 57 FIS and its aircraft: if you ever succeed in getting these printed, count me in for one please!

(Though what I really want to build are a dayglo-marked F-89 and F-102, kit makers please note ...)

You should check with Boa decal in the Czech Republic. They are cheap and good. And they do smaller batches. 

K

Thanks K. The artwork is mostly done in Corel CDX4 and just needs tweaking - depending on whether firms like Boa use digital or screen and whether the clear layer is solid underneath or individually printed on top.

I'll check them out, but remain open to other suggestions. I don't want to commit to more than 20 sets if possible.

Tony

Have you drawn the art with traps for silkscreen printing?  If not, BOA is going to charge you to do that, so it may not end up being that cheap.  He's very good, but it helps if you understand how to construct art that will print correctly without having to be tweaked.

I've had layered art screen printed Jennings and know how to tweak it, thankfully. For digital I will mostly trim through, and for screen create chokes and traps - overlaps - to avoid gaps. I do that myself, based on the printer's tolerances and a bit extra to be safe, and don't expect the printer to have to adjust the art at all (and might be highly miffed if they did !)

Converting FS 595 numbers to Pantone is the fun bit, whereas digital is easier (but less reliable) with CMYK.

I want to get the 57th FIS F-4E decals done as it's on my build list, and a few others' lists by all accounts.

I will investigate this in Nov-Dec. I still would prefer a *digital* printer of repute as the screen route uses five extra colours just for the ADCOM insignia, unless the A4 art is a combo of the Keflavik and Tyndall F-4 on one page - hmmmm. Maybe.

Tony

I've had layered art screen printed Jennings and know how to tweak it, thankfully. For digital I will mostly trim through, and for screen create chokes and traps - overlaps - to avoid gaps. I do that myself, based on the printer's tolerances and a bit extra to be safe, and don't expect the printer to have to adjust the art at all (and might be highly miffed if they did !)

Converting FS 595 numbers to Pantone is the fun bit, whereas digital is easier (but less reliable) with CMYK.

I want to get the 57th FIS F-4E decals done as it's on my build list, and a few others' lists by all accounts.

I will investigate this in Nov-Dec. I still would prefer a *digital* printer of repute as the screen route uses five extra colours just for the ADCOM insignia, unless the A4 art is a combo of the Keflavik and Tyndall F-4 on one page - hmmmm. Maybe.

Tony

Hi Tony glad you are still contemplating doing the 57th FIS decal sheets. I will keep an eye on this thread as I'm still wanting to do another one.

Dave