P-51 korean War question

Cicchino

I've asked this over on Hyperscale as well.

Can anyone point me to a clear picture or drawing, or even identify precisely what the tall aluminum colored box like device ion some Korean War P(F)-51s is. It appears to extend most of the way up the armor plate behind the headrest and seemingly only equips some aircraft. I'm assuming it's a type of radio gear, but it doesn't match the readily findable WWII types. I've googeled and regoogled, and have had some Hyperscalers point me to some info, but it doesn't seem to match pictures. Any help is appreciated

Second question regards finish of RAAF, SAAF, and ROKAF Mustangs. RAAF and SAAF aircraft apprear to be painted aluminum, while ROKAF look more like natural metal. - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Regards,

Cicchino

Can anyone point me to a clear picture or drawing, or even identify precisely what the tall aluminum colored box like device ion some Korean War P(F)-51s is. It appears to extend most of the way up the armor plate behind the headrest and seemingly only equips some aircraft. I'm assuming it's a type of radio gear, but it doesn't match the readily findable WWII types.

Here are some images that may be helpful in your search...

136289006-02bg5aqm-adsc_7314x.jpg

8546340862_2ac8bdbcf7_b.jpg

8546341312_7c85320594_b.jpg

AN_ARC-3.jpg

Receiver R-77A/ARC-3 pictured below...

Receiver%252520R-77A-ARC-3.jpg

Edited by RBrown