P-40N interior color

D.B. Andrus

Looking for the color under cockpit glass to rear of seat for a late P-40N. Interior Green, Curtiss Green or OD?

Thanks,

D.B.

Here is a color shot from the Jack Canary collection, San Diego ASM, that clearly shows the area under the canopy was painted in camouflage colors, in this case OD. 

P-40 N S/N 42-22863

CurtissP-40NCanary.jpg

Ha ha- yes- I mean, what colour is that spinner for instance?

I'd say faded blue. It seems that the lighter blue visible behind the star and bar disk may be a former star and bar, thoroughly faded. The spinner may be the same color.

This aircraft is very weathered and dirty, and some markings have been obviously been repainted quite recently as the white 86 on the tail over the serial, and the star and bar which are pretty clean.

Edited by Zero77

So check out the star & bar on the fuselage!  No outline around the bars, and the outline around the disk is LIGHTER blue than the disk!!  

This kind of thing is what makes decal artists and historical researchers pull their hair out by the roots :)

Here is another P-40 N from the Canary collection that sports the lighter blue edging on the star and bar disc.

11009126_907745645933440_360410019514432

hmm.  "Paleface"?

Did find the following:

440621 SMITH, THOMAS O P-40N 43-22863 SHWANGLIU, CHINA

440621 P-40N 43-22863 60FS 33FG 14 LAC 3 Smith, Thomas O CHI Shwangliu 
landing accident 3

21 Jun 44 43-22863 Curtiss P-40N-20-CU Warhawk Smith, Thomas O 60FS 33FG 14AF Damaged landing, Shwangliu, China

Also found this while searching- in regards to "Lulu Belle", thought it was interesting.  Looks like a blue border to me, but hard to tell

Curtiss%20P-40N%2080th%20FG%2085th%20FS%

Edited by EmperorKai