B-25H cockpit

gunpowder

From my last flight on Barbie III.  For takeoff, I sat down the in the gunners seat.  Dark, cramped and LOUD (there's loud, very loud and then R-2600 loud).  Only thing between the gunner and those 2 radials is aluminum skin.  I can only imagine what it must have been like with four 50 cal gun packs blasting away just on the exterior of that fuselage.  

I spent most of the flight up in the turret, and for landing, I was in the jump seat behind the pilot.

DSC_0100_800_zpsnmsnj0nm.jpg

DSC_0089_800_zpshr1ivzbm.jpg

DSC_0081_800_zpscbliiuec.jpg

DSC_0086_800_zpszdooqgnq.jpg

DSC_0064_800_zpslsbzcrps.jpg

I believe the breach block has been removed, so this is not a complete setup.

Kai

I used a DSLR for photos, and my iPhone for video.  I wasn't getting along with the camera equipment that day, and ultimately wanted to really soak in the experience, so unfortunately I didn't get much in the way of photos from the jump seat.

DSC_0065_800_zpscfnfhcxj.jpg

From the gunner's seat, looking forward and above the cannon, the flight deck is eye level.  Yes, that is someone's foot on the left.

DSC_0066_800_zpssdru8hlc.jpg

Standing up and looking up from the gunner's seat.  The jump seats were added for rides, but makes for cramped quarters for everyone involved.  If one were to turn to the left in this photo, the turret stem and mount would take up most of the space.  

I have a few more of the interior in general

DSC_0070_800_zpstvue6qdd.jpg

After landing, I did a walk around and then went back in to the back half of the plane.  Here, just aft of the bomb bay, looking forward towards the cockpit.  This space was packed with equipment during wartime.

DSC_0071_800_zpsut6ggrep.jpg

Same spot looking aft towards the rear gunners position.  I think it was shortly after this pic that they had to drag me off the plane kicking and screaming.

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Not sure if you noticed, but on the currently flying Barbie III, it has the gun packs on the right side only, but none on the left.  I've never seen where it was flown in this arrangement during the war.

Glad you like- this is one of my other hobbies- flying on restored aircraft.  

Kai

Nice video Maru!

Okay- here's a few stills from the crappy iPhone video.  I think there's a couple of shots of the interior in here that might be useful.

Turret%20area_800_zpsnbxnewru.jpg

Sitting in the right jump seat and looking back, the spindle for the turret and the lower portion of the forward bomb bay bulkhead.

exit_800_zpsynix56up.jpg

Looking down, below the turret spindle, is the hatch.  The gunner's feet rest on top the hatch, and the gunner's seat folds against the side.

Turret%20Stem_800_zpsjv63bnvp.jpg

Looking up into the turret.  The sight is in the middle.  The turret position is best for smaller folk as the framing does not leave much room as it is meant really for just the head and shoulders.  The arms go under the frame.

Turret%20View%202_800_zpsby2jcy1p.jpg

Not to put too fine a point on it, the turret is much smaller that one would think.  This is the view if the iPhone is placed on top the head.  Normally the view is lower, and the barrels themselves are obscured.  The M2 50 cal machine guns are basically ear muffs.  Seriously.

I spent quite a bit of time in the turret.  I tried to envision what it must have been like to be scanning the skies for bogeys with such limited view, much of which is distorted by the perspex.  To see left or right, the back of the head has to be nearly pressed against the back of the turret to see around the guns.  Cold air cold blows through cracks and joints, and even then the sulfur smell of spent gun powder must have been overwhelming.

Denver%203_800_zpscdb0uptg.jpg

Downtown Denver.

Jump%20Seat_800_zpssilzkdyt.jpg

Forward view from the jump seat.  I don't think the hula girl was standard issue, but check your references.

That's the last of it.  Hope this helps.  It was fun going through these pics again. 

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai