Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc .

Tango1

Hello All!

I wanted to share my latest with you, here is my Revell/Momogram 1/32 Hurricane Mk.IIc. I have wanted a Hurricane in 1/32 for a long time but never came across one for a "good price".

Eventually I saw this kit on an auction site and despite the vendor stating that a "few" parts had been glued together I thought I would bid a low price on it and see what happened.....

What arrived on my workbench was as described, plus all the flying surfaces had been removed. Badly.  :doh:  After some bad language.................  :blowup: 

and a cup of tea  :hmmm:  I thought "Nothing ventured-nothing gained." So I played the cards I'd been dealt and set to work!

This kit can easily be built OOB, but it screams for some more detail to be added! To this end, I re-scribed the airframe (not too well, but never mind!), modified the cannon barrels and the exhaust stubs. I purchased the Grey Matter resin cockpit which for me, was a real faff to put together as my right hand was not too well at the time. (its on the mend now!) It was very frustrating, but all of my red faced huffing and puffing gave way to a half decent office! 

With the cockpit out of the way, I made repairs to the moving surfaces and it was necessary to modify them slightly in order to get a good fit to the airframe. This is not museum quality work here, just good enough to please my own eye! 

Building was much easier after all that! Soon came the  painting and I used Mr. Hobby RAF Dark Earth/RAF Middle Stone for the upper surface with my own mix of Tamiya Azure Blue on the lower surface. The kit decals despite their age, did appear to be usable but I did not want to risk it so I bought an aftermarket sheet made by Techmod. The scheme I chose was that of Hurricane BP588 from 33 Sqn. RAF, based in Libya during November 1942. It was the mount of Squadron Leader S.C Norris.

Once all the markings were sealed, it was the fun bit-weathering! I used my own panel line wash and let it dry. Next step was to add some paint chipping with some Prismacolour pencils, first time I used this product, I need more practice but I like the results I ended up with. Last step was to spray my own mix of dust over the entire model to bring a uniform finish to the airframe.  The display base was my usual home-made fare. 

And there we have it, a 1/32 Hurricane built on a budget! Hope you like this one!

Until next time- Happy Modelling!  :piliot:

hu2c1_zpsoezz9ei3.jpg

hu2c2_zpselov8uvq.jpg

DSC_4349_zpsembgbp0l.jpg

DSC_4350_zpsmhlurp2u.jpg

DSC_4348_zps4tjeogla.jpg

DSC_4392_zpstam8fbik.jpg

Excellent trop scheme.

Many thanks Bill!

Love that!

Sincerely,

Mark

Cheers Mark! 

Beautiful through and through, very clean build and excellent weathering what's not to like. Congrats! David

Thank you David! Much appreciated! 

Darren. ..

This is ONE of the BESTEST Hawker Hurricane I have seen built. .

you did an outstanding and impressive job to say that it had been mutilated when you bought the kit.

STUNNING color. ..Sweet painting. ... and what I like too is the

simplicity of the base and SUPER photography. .

:wow: :wow: :clap2: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank you very much indeed!

there you go! well done 

Thanks!

Darren

Awesome Hurricane... Fit and finish is right on the money.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Many thanks Peter! 

I've built a couple examples of this old kit, but I never would have guessed that's what it was by looking at your model. Fantastic work!

John

Thanks John! Very kind of you- it took a bit of work but it was worth to me. 

That's a really terrific result, Darren! It looks tremendous. Like John, I've got a few of these in the stash, and I'm now much more inspired to tackle one. Great work! May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Thank you Kev! Much appreciated! These older kits can still give a builder some fun and turn out nice. Maybe we'll see a few more Hurricane's in future? 

It would be great to see this one published on the website-thank you! 

Bravo Darren, that is a STUNNING example of the old Revell Hurri-bus!  Especially considering you began with the old Revell kit which had been tortured by its previous owner.  Flawless finish and brilliant photography.  I would be proud to display this one in my display case!

My hat is off to you, you have really outdone yourself again.