Wingnuts Gotha

Jon. H

Hi everyone. This is my 1st post on this forum. I bought this model when it 1st came out and I must say that it is one of the best models for the money I have seen. If you compare the price of this kit compared to some of the latest WNW releases, you can see it is a bargain basement price. Snap one up before they are gone. That being said, I have been working on 1/32 ww2 planes for  yrs now and still do not have the skill set to do this(what will ultimately become a rare collectors) model, so I am really going to use this build as a guide to making mine a show stopper as well. Awesome work so for. Btw, when you are done with this can I have the box top? You see my dog thought I was inside the box and chewed it all up,long story. but if you don't need the top I could really use it. 

Guest Peterpools

John

Wonderful progress on the Gotha. I was very impressed with your excellent wood work and your paint work

Looking so good

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Kevin and Peterpools. Getting close to the rigging.

Perm895, thank you for following my build. I am new here as well and I do know there are a few other builds of the Gotha on here. Thanks for considering mine as a show stopper but you need to check out one that LSP's very own Clunkmeister built. It is a spectacular build of the Gotha and his figures really brought it to life.

Here is a link to his finished build. http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=58424&page=1

There is one more I have seen on here that looks fantastic as well and both were inspiration for my build.

I wish I could help you with the box, but I save them for the box art.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ernie, Ron and Andy.

About the wires, I am having a little trouble with that. Unknown to me, GasPatch turnbuckles do not like to be bent much. If I was smart I would had placed them near the correct angle during gluing.

I just stuck them in thinking I would just bend them over to the correct angle. I have had too many break on me trying to do just that. I am having to drill new holes which is a major pain with everything in the way now.

I did try putting a small amount of superglue where they broke, but I am using monofilament, they break the bond and every time I pull tension on the line. If I were using EZ line, probably would not be an issue.

I just placed it to the side as of now due to my frustration with the turnbuckles.

I will pick it back up once I have a clear head.

Thanks again.

Edited by Jon. H

Guest Clunkmeister

Jon, you'll notice a few on mine as well, even though I 'planned' for the angles when setting the turnbuckles. It's not the end of the world, we've all broken those Gaspatch turnbuckles by bending them. It happens.

Even the pros have that happen, it's a fact of life, especially when you're 'eyeballing' the angles. It looks awesome, my friend!

Guest Clunkmeister

That is a lot of rigging..... :o

Great work,

Cheers,   Ian

Ian, seriously, it's not bad. 6 bays plus center sections. It goes fast once you get going.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Clunkmeister

Cib,

If Jon hasn't seen your question yet, I'll answer it for you, as I just finished my build a couple of months back.

There is no way to leave the wings off for storage. The wing center section, including the engine nacelles and their associated struts all come together in the middle with the fuselage to give you a super strong structure.

It is a solid ONE PIECE model, but on the upside, the completed model really isn't that long, it's just wide. It takes up about as much space as a Tamiya F-4 Phantom, if that gives you any idea.

It's a great kit, and Jon is doing an awesome job with his.

Thanks for the prompt reply - I have the opportunity to acquire one with some great goodies (HGW detail set plus reference book) having gotten an AEG and an Heinkel He-111 recently in 1/32...I'm going to need a bigger cupboard for sure!