F-4C wild Weasel back in bussines 01/02

mark31

Hello after recieving this set i put a few things on hold and start this on.

The kit.

The F-4C/D from tamiya.

DSC_1016_zps5o49m9tq.jpg

The conversion kit from GT resin.

11880801_961076897276376_1100909735_n_zp

DSC_1018_zpsylqmcrzl.jpg

DSC_1019_zpsyvzmdabf.jpg

DSC_1020_zpsxkglgpfh.jpg

DSC_1022_zpsjw2378rn.jpg

DSC_1023_zpsxlikztac.jpg

DSC_1024_zpslhloe9pj.jpg

some reference.

DSC_1017_zpskluwidgl.jpg

The only things i just need are the intakes(underway) and some eduard bits.

Progress will be slow so i hope you have patience.

Mark

Edited by mark31

Just a question about the raised pannels on the feuselage.

Do the all have to go before i remove to many.

Thanks Mark

You mean the BDR panels Mark?   IIRC, they should most all be removed. If I also recall correctly, there is one section (also raised?) on the side/top of the fuselage that I think is some kind of door/vent, and needs panel lines scribed, but NOT raised................a lot of folks are actually using the raised parts themselves as a scribing template, and scribing the panel lines before removing the raised parts.......................then after sanding the raised part off, your left with a nicely scribed access/door/panel.

You mean the BDR panels Mark? IIRC, they should most all be removed. If I also recall correctly, there is one section (also raised?) on the side/top of the fuselage that I think is some kind of door/vent, and needs panel lines scribed, but NOT raised................a lot of folks are actually using the raised parts themselves as a scribing template, and scribing the panel lines before removing the raised parts.......................then after sanding the raised part off, your left with a nicely scribed access/door/panel.

Brian, I you're referring to the Ram Air Turbine doors. They're on the left side of the fuselage towards the rear end.

I sanded off almost all of the BDR panels on my build and the ones I left were because I felt it would be too difficult to re-scribe them (for me).

Carl

You mean the BDR panels Mark? IIRC, they should most all be removed. If I also recall correctly, there is one section (also raised?) on the side/top of the fuselage that I think is some kind of door/vent, and needs panel lines scribed, but NOT raised................a lot of folks are actually using the raised parts themselves as a scribing template, and scribing the panel lines before removing the raised parts.......................then after sanding the raised part off, your left with a nicely scribed access/door/panel.

Brian, I you're referring to the Ram Air Turbine doors. They're on the left side of the fuselage towards the rear end.

I sanded off almost all of the BDR panels on my build and the ones I left were because I felt it would be too difficult to re-scribe them (for me).

Carl

Just a question about the raised pannels on the feuselage.

Do the all have to go before i remove to many.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark.  Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing your progress.   The so-called "BDR" (Battle Damage Repair) raised panels are actually regular panels that were often removed and re-sealed with some sort of caulk, which sometimes left them slightly raised.  Tamiya went crazy with the amount of this relief, which is why many believe they are patches of some kind.  They're not.  They are just regular panels that need to be sanded down, but also retained.  The best way to do this is to scribe a deep groove around them, then sand them down.  I have a fairly lengthy build thread on an F-4E I made a few years ago that might be helpful, with a link concerning the raised panels here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=224033&st=38

I'm not sure if the F-4C has the "RAT" (RAM Air Turbine) door on it or not, but I deleted mine because the F-4E doesn't have one.  Otherwise, almost all of the panel line edits I made should apply to your project.

Cheers,

Chuck

Mark, nice to see you building a Weasel. Can you show a close up pic of the cockpit and ejection seat details? Looking forward to your build. ;)

Pics are comming

Hi Mark.  Good luck with the project and I look forward to seeing your progress.   The so-called "BDR" (Battle Damage Repair) raised panels are actually regular panels that were often removed and re-sealed with some sort of caulk, which sometimes left them slightly raised.  Tamiya went crazy with the amount of this relief, which is why many believe they are patches of some kind.  They're not.  They are just regular panels that need to be sanded down, but also retained.  The best way to do this is to scribe a deep groove around them, then sand them down.  I have a fairly lengthy build thread on an F-4E I made a few years ago that might be helpful, with a link concerning the raised panels here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=224033&st=38

I'm not sure if the F-4C has the "RAT" (RAM Air Turbine) door on it or not, but I deleted mine because the F-4E doesn't have one.  Otherwise, almost all of the panel line edits I made should apply to your project.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks for the link will look tru your build.

Here a detail pic of the seat and pit.

1_zpsdns0jtwk.jpg

2_zpshiy5v6ze.jpg

Thanks about the pannels.

This are the ones.

3_zpsgeduxf9c.jpg

The one with the crosses that im sure of so now i know the rest has to go.

4_zpsa57niwa1.jpg

Thank you all Mark