Bazooka dimensions

t.valdez

What is the outside diameter (OD) for bazooka tubes to scratch build? I know they came with the P-51B and K models (Trumpeter, Dragon, Tamiya) but I don't have these to measure. I will source the tubes from one of the local LHS once I have an idea of the OD.

The inside diameter of the M1A1 Bazooka used in WW2 was just a smidgen over 2.36 inches because that was the diameter of the rocket itself.

I have hefted those things and the steel was not all that thick, maybe 1/16 of an inch thick.

There is only a limited choice in brass, aluminum and plastic tubing on the market and in the better LHS (Local Hobby Shop). So I woiuld just measure the inside diameter of the tubes available and choose the closest one available.

If you intend to turn your own tubes on a precision engine lathe then maybe you need to examine one up close.

A close estimation of the Outside Diameter of the tube would be 2 1/2 inch. In 1/32 scale that would be 0.0796875" or 5/64 inch.  

Pretty tiny isn't it?

Do you think they may have used the 5 inch HVAR rockets on the planes? Or maybe the model companies just cheated and used a larger diameter that looked good?

It looks funny, being that small a diameter in 1/32 scale, So if anyone can find an error in my math please tell me and us, where I went wrong. Maybe the wall thickness of the WW2 tube was thicker than 1/16 inch?

Next time I'm at the tank museum in Danbury CT I'll ask to measure a bazooka, if they have one. Do not confuse the post WW2 M20 3.5" diameter bazooka rocket with the WW2 version.

By the way, most of my info came from Wikipedia, on the internet.

Stephen

Those planes were not carrying infantry bazookas, but a larger tube-launched bombardment rocket, something like 4.5 inch. (duh, just now noticed the pdf ref above)

I do that kind of stuff all the time. Incidentally, the pdf referenced above, is public domain stuff, as far as I'm aware.

Those planes were not carrying infantry bazookas, but a larger tube-launched bombardment rocket, something like 4.5 inch. (duh, just now noticed the pdf ref above)

That is why they look so much bigger than the 2.36" infantry bazooka.