Trumpeter 1/32 Bf109K-4 review out yet??

hworth18

I have noticed this kit is now available. Has anyone reviewed it yet? There was a blurb about it on Britmodeller and that's all I have found so far. I am interested in picking one up if the reviews are acceptable since these will be way cheaper than the Hasegawa version.

Hello,

You can look up the review of their G-10 same kit with one extra sprue with the landing gear doors and tail wheel doors specific for the K.

Cheers

Boris

Sort depends on what you want/willing to live with. I have the G-10 and was just looking at it for accuracy issues. For the most part, the general outline isn't awful, but some elements are long or short, but a casual eyeball won't notice. The two parts which jump out are the cockpit area and the engine cowl. While the exact location and proportion of features in and around the cockpit provide plenty of fodder for the micrometer crowd, the obvious eyecatcher is that the windscreen half of the canopy is very wrong in shape (proportionally too high for length) and lackes the massive framing for a late war machine with thick armor glass. The engine is kind of punk, undersize and poorly spaced exhasut ports, so why show it, but if you did, the opening part of the cowl has ity's own major problem by not having the lower aft corner with the exhaust deflector be part of it. That is an odd WTF kind of goof, common with the earlier 1/24 kit. If the 'K kit has only some add-on parts along with the stock 'G-10, then there will be a bunch of rescribing and other  detail work you will also need to do to make it a proper 'K. If you are not too fussy about such stuff, the kit does build up okay.

Just saw the new post, don't know what you mean by "the G-10 was a mish-mash of parts?" Maybe the real thing (though a fair part of the run was all new rather than recycled/parted together)  but the kit is it's own stand alone, and while I cannot vouch for the 'K kit, it would not surprise me if it was, as claimed, just the 'G-10 with some extra 'K specific details added.

Edited by stevegallacci

Hello,

Well if the G-10 was a mish mash of parts then the K is too i looked at the parts on Trumps site and to me it looked as the same kit with one extra sprue.

Cheers

Boris

In short ... no review available.

The Stuka G-2 was released months ago and I'm still finding it on very few retail webpages ... no real review for that either.

It will take a while before we get one for the K-4, I think!

Rog :)

Just peeked at the Trumpeter site, and it does appear that the kit is just the 'G-10 with 'K gear doors. The fuselage seems to be the unalterd 'G-10 and did not appear to have the 'K cockpit details (?? an odd lapse, as the rigth side is designed for an alternate insert, perhaps I missed a detail on another sprue?)

Like I said above, the kit, overall, is no prize for absolute accuracy, and the 'K version will seem to need work to make it even an inaccurate 'K. Another "feature" is that the rivtl and panel line detail is, to my taste, a bit heavy-handed. But, it will build up with little problem and would look, sort of - kind of, like a '109K.

Unfortunately we don't receive review samples from any of the big Asian manufacturers, though we will occasionally purchase some ourselves. So unless a member who owns the kit is able to put together a review for us, most Trumpeter kits don't get reviewed here.

Kev

Unfortunately we don't receive review samples from any of the big Asian manufacturers, though we will occasionally purchase some ourselves. So unless a member who owns the kit is able to put together a review for us, most Trumpeter kits don't get reviewed here.

Kev

Thanks Kev, I wasn't sure if i would find a review here or just on the web in general.

What i meant by my comment that the G-10 was just a mish-mash of parts is that the G-10 itself was a stopgap plane between the G-6 and the K model. Many of the G-10's were built from spare parts and pretty much whatever extra was laying around with a new powerplant slapped on the nose.. This is evidenced by the different wing bulge/ canopy configurations and the wild variety of different paintschemes and painted parts that didn't match.

Edited by hworth18

Thanks Kev, I wasn't sure if i would find a review here or just on the web in general.

No Trumpeter 109's reviewed here, except for the 1:24 K-4. A shame, as I had at one time, four other Trumpeter 109's, but was not reviewing anything back then (not that I do all that many now).

My ultimate ambition is for us to have a review of every LSP kit ever released, as far as is practicable. It's not an especially realistic goal, but we certainly have a lot of glaring holes I'd like to see filled.

Kev

I can put together a proper reveiw of the 'G-10, and if I can find the 'K go on from there. But the short form would be not super accurate (noteably the forward fuselage and cockpit area), somewhat heavy rivets and panel lines, fairly simple build. I have most of the other Trumpeter '109s in both 1/32 and 1/24 as well and have the data to do them up.