Marmaduke

Yes, it's another Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair!

Hello all! As promised I finally have made a little progress on this big bird. Hope you guys like it.

First up is the engine. All wired up and ready for final touch ups.

20160224_220257.jpg20160224_220334.jpg

Next up is the machine guns...I know the tubing I used is a little large but it's the smallest I could find and it's still better than nothing. Tamiya really did drop the ball on this detail.

20160224_185247.jpg

Lastly is a pic with the wings mocked up on the fuselage...everything is looking good and coming together nicely. If you look to the right in this pic you can see my old Tamiya 1/48 Corsair that I did shortly after getting back into the hobby. I'm using it as inspiration. Thanks for looking and happy modeling.

20160224_220222.jpg

Love the engine.

I won't damn Tamiya for omitting the gun barrels, since many photos show Corsairs with fabric doped over the gunports.

Instead, i will damn them for the photoetched seat belts from hell. However, i forgive them.

-d-

Thanks Kev. Thanks Dave. I have to agree with you on the photo etched seatbelts...I would almost prefer their trimmed masking sticker with etched buckles version. HGW seatbelts have me sold though. They can be frustrating especially in 1/48 but they are well worth it.

Hey gang...back with another update. Got a fair amount of work done over the last few days. I removed the wheels from their pour blocks and cleaned them up. These Barracuda wheels are very nice. They're gonna look great painted up. Then I finished the landing gear and gear doors in preparation for paint. Next I assembled all the flaps which went together perfectly. After they were done I mounted them along with the outer wings to the wing root. Finally, after avoiding it, I worked on the exhaust. First I painted them Testors steel, the one in the small square bottle.Then I used Tamiya and Mig pigments to finish them up. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for looking. 20160306_161806.jpg

20160306_131046.jpg

20160306_131008.jpg

20160306_130714.jpg

20160306_163725.jpg

Mock up of the engine and exhaust

20160306_163802.jpg

20160306_164219.jpg

...and then mocked up with the rest of the plane. This thing is huge!

Huge yes, and a little ponderous. I suggest putting some tape on the wingtips and ailerons and the tip of the vertical fin to avoid bashing things off. The antenna post is especially vulnerable.

-d-

First I'd like to thank everyone for the nice comments and tips, I love to hear them. Unfortunately only a small update this time. Got the propeller painted and assembled. I like to paint the yellow first, then I tape that off and do the black. As always, thanks for looking!

20160306_131140.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm back again with another update. I've run into my first disappointment with this build. While attaching the cowl flaps and cowl pieces I ran into a hefty gap. This gap is most likely my fault due to perhaps not cleaning up the Vector flaps enough. Some of the attachment points were pretty boogered up and I thought I had done a sufficient job but apparently not. I'm sure that this gap problem would not have occurred if I had used the kit supplied parts for the flaps. Anyhow...it's too late now and it did kind of discourage me on this build but it also taught me what not to do on my next Corsair build! Yes, there will be another...the Corsair is my favorite aircraft! After I got over my disappointment, I painted the bottom of the aircraft in light gray followed by Navy blue gray on top...both were Model Master enamel. After that cured, I sprayed a couple coats of Pledge floor polish with Future shine and continued to apply some Barracuda's amazing decals. Using the Micro Set/Sol combination these decals settled right down over some raised detail on the wings. The only problem with the decals is that they are slightly transparent which is really noticeable on the fuselage under the star. Enough of my rambling...let's see some pictures!20160323_145527.jpg

20160323_135141.jpg

20160325_044154.jpg

That's all for now. Until next time, happy modeling and thanks for looking.

Marmaduke...

Did this get completed. And og course the stupid Photosucket has deprived ME of your beautiful workmanship that others got to see..

Hope you got it done. If so is it in RFI?

Thanks. :)

Edited by MARU5137

Hey Maru, I did actually complete this fine bird some time ago but never got around to posting the finished product in the RFI forum. Now with the photobucket problem I don't know how to go about posting pictures. Do you have any suggestions?