Largest Aftermarket Radial Engine

aircooled_nut

I was wondering who does the largest scale radial engine, I'm trying to track one down in at least 1:24 scale? I know the Airfix Zero has one, but a little expensive for just the engine. Does anyone do aftermarket resin casts?

Cheers

Phil. 

:post1:

The largest aftermarket radial engine that I'm aware of is the Williams Brothers 1/8 scale kit:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXWAF7&P=8

Also, you might be referring to the Trumpeter Zero (and Rufe) in 1/24, not Airfix.

HTH,

D

Thanks for that...yes sorry Trumpeter. :)

Thanks also for the add to the forums too!

I sure wish Vector would up scale his magnificent engines to a stand-alone scale like 1/12 or something.  Imagine a gigantic Vector R2800 on a stand with all the bells and whistles?  I'd buy one in a New York minute!

I completely agree....except I would vote for a 1/6 scale 4360!  The coolest engine ever made!

I currently have a master connecting rod for a 4360 in my man cave...sort of a religious object for me.

Edited by Bryan

IIRC, Williams did a 1/8 Wright Whirlwind (Spirit of St Louis' one) and a 1/12 P&W R-1340 Wasp. Revell did a 1/12 Wright R-1820, and possibly (not too sure) a Twin Wasp. All can be found on eBay from time to time.

Check also HPH. They do 1/18 in-lines, but not sure about radials.

Hubert

I bought two Trump Bearcats just for the engines for a CL215 project. Ended up using thecrest of the kits for a What If group build project, so they havent been wasted!

a CL215 project eh?......what are you upto Tim? :hmmm: :hmmm:

I bought two Trump Bearcats just for the engines for a CL215 project. Ended up using thecrest of the kits for a What If group build project, so they havent been wasted!

I see a CL-215 in my future as well Tim ;)

Derek

Fell in love with the CL215 a long time ago, but seeing one for real in the air museum in Madrid was enough to get me gathering data and materials, but goodness only knows when I will start it. As usual I have several projects on the go already!

Likewise Tim - what did it for me (and I was hoping very much here), was seeing two of them in action recently on my Zakynthos holiday (and they were my favourite types, CL215's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Gw_t6oRLLgo

Derek

Tim,

Reminds me of the past. I was on holiday in Rhodes, must have been late '80's with my then wife, (you know the one, name not to be mentioned) and Vasko Barbic and his lovely wife Carole. The whole centre of the island was in flames. The water bombers came into Lindos main harbour to restock as the water there is always calm. What a sight, the smoke billowing and the bombers doing their job. The town was evacuated and we all slept on the beach! In the coach back to the airport the telegraph poles on one side of the road were all burnt, that's how far the fire got.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby