First D-Day C-47 to Cross French Coast is Found

W O W!!!

I JUST saw her!!!!!!  I had no idea what she was...............only that it was the "worst paint Id ever seen" on a flying C-47.   Her paint was thrashed, but she was parked front and center at OshKosh this past week for AirVenture 2015.   I have some pics somewhere..............

• 5 years later...

I hope no one minds me reviving this because I took care of that plane BEFORE it went to Basler for turbo conversion. I'll try to be brief while addressing some of the comments, particularly the Vietnam paint scheme as a gunship. The airplane had two data plates, the original C~47 one and the subsequent one as a DC~3C. The plane flew into retirement and was remade as an airshow circuit AC~47. The guns protruded out the left side but there were also ten first class airline seats forward of the guns for those historical rides. 

Around '10 the owners flew it back east to Basler for them to do a heavy check on the wings. While it was there Basler made them a tremendous offer for the plane which they accepted. I was disappointed but at least I still have the tow bar {No, it isn't for sale}. The mockup guns are still stored elsewhere. When the economy tanked the plane lost great value and was never converted to a BT. The rest is history. When I came across this topic I felt the need to give some background.

Another comment on here was about all the shiny planes out there. "Puff" ALWAYS had a long line because we let people tour the plane. I NEVER charged but still managed to fill a black painted coffee can with the notice; "Every drop in the bucket is another drop of oil". The owners gave me free reign because I knew the gun and I knew the mission.

I have great stories from Viet vets and WWII vets that could only be told around this plane. I met two stewardesses, one USAF one who flew MATS out of Charleston AFB in the '50s and another who flew Continental to/from Vietnam.

This is my first post here solely because of the topic though I also have a great interest in large scale models. I'll keep searching my innumerable external hard drives for some shots from that very fun time. IF the historical rides continue I encourage people here to get involved. You don't need to travel, you can always be a local volunteer as a sponsor, working retail or crowd control. It IS an unforgettable experience.