OK - I'm building a tanky thing...

Iain

I actually just finished working on a tank for a friend of mine on another forum.

It also kind of ties in to the 21st Century thread posted elsewhere. The other forum (Small Scale HQ) is centered around collecting pre-built armor and aircraft, with a large part of it having been 21C's Ultimate Soldier/32X/Motorworks/etc. When the company folded and supplies dried up, some of us took to building the few 1/32 kits out there which was mostly the old Monogram kits. I sold mine after I migrated to 1/35, and one fellow who bought a couple still needed a piece so he sent me a kit to build for him.

Monogram 1/32 Jagdpanzer IV L/70(V). In keeping with the spirit of the 21C line it is a bit toy-like, as they feature the rolling rubberband suspension as seen on the early Tamiya kits and a moveable gun. I added little wire loops to the schurzen to make them removable. Only took a couple of weekends, mostly because roadwheels are tedious and paint has to dry between layers. Tried to keep the weathering to about the level the 21C vehicles had so everything would match relatively well. Probably no secret there is zero aftermarket stuff to spruce these kits up, so they are what they are.

And in between stabs at the tank I worked on Revell's He-162 kit, which due to a tragic turn of events in the cockpit AFTER the fuselage was cemented and puttied up, meant she went from being a gear-down shelf display to a ceiling hanger. Guess I'll be doing another later on.  <_<

So why am I saying all this? Just a convoluted way of saying it's okay to build tank models, plane guy. And it should be a fun change of pace for you, allowing you to try some techniques to see how they work in another area like masking and weathering. Part of why I built it was to try out some new masking techniques before I try one of Hasegawa's Japanese planes.

Oh, yeah, the tank:

WP_20150723_001_zpswjzf117a.jpg

First attempt at Splittertarnmuster uniform camo, using the Vallejo colors which seemed a bit bright to me. Vehicle is attached to the 2nd SS Pz Div "Das Reich" in Normandy 1944 to match the other two armor pieces I sold prior. Also these are my third batch of figures painted in 30 years so still a bit crude.

Edited by CATCplSlade

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

This was the only other tank I've built since being a child - a little dusty:

IMG_5092.jpg

Progress so far on the Matilda - doesn't look a lot - but took a while to get here...

Think I've identified most of the changes required to build 'Griffin' so will be making a start on some of the mods this evening.

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

Have fun! :)

Iain

Nice work on the Matilda Iain, always had a soft spot for that type.

Your Mk IV Male tank appears to have a secondary armament of giant spliffs..! Was this a little known British innovation to smoke the Germans out of their trenches...?

Matt

Please don't hold it against me - but I could do with the therapy at the moment.

Please do not adjust your sets - normality (whatever that might be) will be restored shortly!

Message ends.

Iain

Great stuff Iain :speak_cool: (it is always nice to make a tank and I like Malta as much as you do, so good choice).

I feel the need some much needed 'therapy' coming on soon as well, so watch this space!

Derek

• 1 month later...

Some more progress on my 'therapy' build...

Studying the photo of Griffin and comments on other fora, it appears it represents an earlier version that that kitted by Tamiya - without the exposed rivets on the hull and track covers.

In the photos you'll see I've carefully removed those on the r/h side of the hull and side-skirts - l/h side still to be done.

The area below the drivers vision port has had material removed and re-profiled using a dental burr.

The front edges of the upper track guards have had the moulded cut-outs filled with styrene sheet.

IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

Bronco tracks assembled and able to fully articulate - very fiddly and 142 pieces per side.

Also - the slots in the rear of the hull for mounting the external fuel tank have been filled with styrene sheet and dressed flat as 'Griffin' didn't have the tank, or associated bracketry, fitted.

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

That's all for now folks,

Have FUN!

Iain

• 5 months later...

Well,l there is that kit, although in 1/72 scale of the Russian flying tank. You can get that and be both a tanker and a flyer.

But I love that camouflage scheme.

I must use it somewhere, on something. :hmmm:

Golly this forum really gets my juices flowing.

It would be great on an armored train.

Or an armored outhouse (the ones the Generals use).

Enjoy,

Stephen