1/32 F-15A Streak Eagle WIP.

danimalmagic

Next up is the UHF Blade/Antenna mounted on the canopy deck.
UHF%20Blade.jpg
I have replicated the same with some left over etch.
102_2808.jpg
102_2809.jpg
Job done and another one ticked off the list.
102_2891.jpg
The last real hurdle was the fitting of the forward fuselage, this did not line up that well and left an awkward gap. The gap itself does close up but then the gap between the intake and the side wall of the fuselage is not even on both sides and you could see in looked kinked.
102_2796.jpg
I have filled the gap with stock sheet to close up the majority of the gap.
102_2802.jpg
I need to still add a little more filler but essentially that issue is resolved.
102_2806.jpg
Another small item to change was the UHF/VHF Antenna on the spine behind the canopy, this is not required so I glued in the kit part then cut off flush and sanded back.
102_2811.jpg
Same thing again for the TACAN Antenna.
102_2819.jpg
Another item added to the list for removal is the small antenna on the front gear bay door, this also needs to go.
102_2824.jpg

Well it has took a lot of work to get this far but she is now ready for paint.
102_2814.jpg
102_2822.jpg
Before painting I have wiped over the whole aircraft with Isopropyl Alcohol, this removes unwanted greasy finger prints and helps eliminate any remaining dust, I also gently rub the surface with an old toothbrush and blow away any residue with the airbrush.
Base coat is Alclad Gloss Black, this is about as shinny as it gets, down side is it magnifies any flaws in the detail.
102_2832.jpg
Overall I was quite pleased and I only found a couple of issues that were easily resolved, next the base coat. I suspect different people will approach this in many different ways, for me I am going to start with an overall base coat of Alclad Duraliminium and work from there.
Before this is done the gloss black base is sealed with Future, I have learned from prior experience that this should eliminate any crazing. I don't know what causes the crazing but it is a real nightmare to fix as is goes through the paint and into the plastic and requires a lot of effort to remedy.
102_2859.jpg
102_2861.jpg
I am very pleased with the initial coats of Duraliminium, not a single issue with crazing which considering the size of the plane is a real result. The base coat was left to dry for a couple of days just to make sure, from there I could start the masking.
I have started with the largest single area and these are the panels around the top of the engine nacelles.
102_2867.jpg
These are quite a dark metallic shade, for some reason the Hasegawa kit calls for them to be matt black but to my eye that is not right.
Nacelle%20Panels..jpg
I tried Alclad Stainless Steel first but found Dark Aluminium to be a much better match. I have some tempering and weathering effects to add yet but I will come back to this later on for now I just want to get the patchwork done.
102_2893.jpg
I have also made a start on the vertical and horizontal stabilisers, I am using White Aluminium to represent the more polished surfaces.
102_2895.jpg

That is it for now, a very busy week to say the least, next week will be a continuation of the masking and the application of the various shades representing the composite materials used.
I have got a plan of how and what to do so bare with me and I will cover this next week.

Thanks for looking.

Danny.

www.modelmasteruk.com

Edited by danimalmagic

I have updated the list of modifications carried out so far.

1. Burners are fully feathered and we have this nicely covered with the GT resin set and kit parts. (info)
  2. The cockpit will utilise the Early F-15C Aires resin tub using an Aires ESCAPAC seat.
  3. The rear avionics bay has the TAC/TEWS/ECM boxes removed in the actual Streak Eagle, other specific parts for recording telemetry were added back in including video recording equipment but without reference material it's hard to know exactly.
  4. The Ejection seat needs to be changed to an Escapac IC-7 version without the canopy breakers, from the information I have the Escapac for the A-4 will be the best/nearest option.
  5. Airbrake, the one fitted on the Streak is much shorter and more rectangular, this is highlighted in the 1/48 Hasegawa kit and in other sources, brake fairing also needs to be checked, modify as required.
  6. Gun Port, this needs to be covered up as obviously the Streak had no armament, this is basically nothing more than a plate patch.
  7. Wheels, early F-15A wheels are required, I have ordered a set from Bruce at http://partsrparts.homestead.com/F15parts.html and I have also got a set coming from Sierra Hotel Products which are made for the Tamiya Kit.
  8. There is no HUD fitted to the Streak.(info)
  9. The Pitot tube will need to be modified as again the one fitted to the Streak is different, again that should not be an issue, copy the Hasegawa example.
  10. The arrestor hook is completely removed and the associated recess covered.
  11. Duraluminum nose cone
  12. Sealed gun bay vents for cooling air and gas ventilation
  13. Sealed round vent on the starboard side near the rear canopy rail
  14. Eliminate UHF/VHF radio antenna blade on upper fuselage spine
  15. Sealed forward Sparrow missile attachment point, close all openings
  16. Retain rear sparrow launch fairing, fill all holes. http://www.cybermode...ges/13304.shtml
  17. No pylons on wings or fuselage, fill holes.
  18. Outer wing flaps permanently up (actuators were eliminated to save weight)
  19. All formation and navigation lights sealed on wings (including low intensity panels on wingtips)
  20. Remove the starboard side lower aft avionics heat exchanger exhaust duct and intake door
  21. Reduce the thickness of kit parts for the low intensity navigation light panels fitted on the sides of aft fuselage. The slime lights were not used and were filled in but the frame outline still remains.
  22. Vertical stabs with EWWS (or similar) antenna housings on both tails (pre-record attempt with tail patch marking, info only, not required.
  23. Vertical stabs with small shortened mass balance's on both tails instead of EWWS housings fitted during record attempts, not decals on tails at this point.
  24. Coloured navigation lights on upper trailing edge of both tails sealed
  25. Eliminate taxi and landing lights from nose gear
  26. Forward nose gear door closed while on the ground (prior to record attempts, info only)
  27. Forward nose gear door open while on the ground (for record attempts)
  28. Forward main gear doors closed while on ground (prior to record attempts, info only)
  29. Forward main gear doors open while on the ground (for record attempts)
  30. Add "over the shoulder" video camera and mount next to the port side of the Ejection seat
  31. Add large white UHF blade antenna on rear canopy deck
  32. Fill Kit Chaff and Flare Dispensers
  33. Fill Holes for C/Line Pylon
  34. Access hatches on top of the engine humps, should be two only.
  35. Remove bulges on the vertical tails for the rudder actuators as they are late model configuration and too exaggerated.
  36. Remove the Stiffener panels on the horizontal stabs.
  37. Front landing gear below shock absorber need to be rounded not square.
  38. Port side tail spine ECM pod not required, both should be the pointed tails.
  39. Angle of main landing gear, stance is more pronounced angling outward, see link http://partsrparts.homestead.com/F15photos.html
  40. Reduce/remove the outer wing elevator actuator fairing top and bottom side, remove the small bumps as well.
  41. Remove small rectangular raised detail on the exterior of port intake port side.
  42. Fill two small holes above rear sparrow launch fairing, holes are for a strengthening/reinforcing plate not used on the Streak.
  43. Fill the hole for the TACAN antenna directly behind nose landing gear.
  44. Fill 2 small holes for the ECM antennae between the UHF Aerials.
  45. Remove the antenna from the nose gear door.
  46. Nose Gear wheel to be painted black, rear gear wheels are black as well with the small hub in the middle being white, anti-rotation markers on rear tyre.
  47. Front instrument panel displays/panels removed:- HUD Control panel, TEWs display,

Radar scope, Armament Control Panel, Standard G-Meter.

1. Port Console panels removed, All Navigation related panels, IFF and TEWs panels, Radar Panel.
  2. Starboard Console panels removed, All TEWS, Navigation , and Compass related panels

Points 46-48 will be virtually impossible to remove neatly, I have some good cockpit layout drawings so I know where they are, I suspect these will be best left alone.

Edited by danimalmagic

Great tip on the future overcoat. I was working on a large F-104 and the crazing killed that project. Do you spray or brush on the future?

Dan

Spray it on in a light mist, don't rush, do a few light coats.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Dang. Really wishing I had done something other than an F-15. Staggering work. :goodjob:

Harrison

Really excellent progress! It's looking really sharp and the paintwork is superb.

Thanks guys, lots of masking to go.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

Very impressive build Danny, if it turns out half as good as the Blackbird family it will be a world class build.  Always liked the Streak Eagle, never thought I would be fortunate enough to see one built in 1/32 scale.  Never heard of the Sierra Bravo wheels, where did you find those?  What are you using for markings for this one?

Wow!

Kev

Dan, that gloss black base coat is really impressive - super smooth and looks great. Loving the different panels as well.

Cheers

Jim

Very impressive build Danny, if it turns out half as good as the Blackbird family it will be a world class build.  Always liked the Streak Eagle, never thought I would be fortunate enough to see one built in 1/32 scale.  Never heard of the Sierra Bravo wheels, where did you find those?  What are you using for markings for this one?

Cheers Guys, you can find the wheels on the Sierra Hotel website, http://sierrahotelmodels.webs.com/32400, not sure if they are on sale yet, by happy chance Bruce grabbed a set for me, the decals are made by Microscale (32-56) and are specifically for the Streak Eagle, they are long out of production now, i had to scavenge around a bit to find them.

Thanks for looking.

Danny