Nap time Academy 1/35 MH-60S

Wrlss911Pro

• 2 weeks later...

nice work , this is a tough kit, I shelfed mine about 25% completed, just so confusing with instructions, things not fitting, and set back after set back, congrats to those that can put this thing together and knock it out of the park.

Thanks for the kind words.

This is my second Academy H-60 kit. I think either the molds are getting worn or the chemistry of the plastic has changed, or even both, but I don't recall the fit being this bad on my DAP. Installing the cabin was really difficult, even with Oliver's excellent advice for mounting the deck and overhead. Also, you are correct in your assessment of the instructions. The words vague and confusing come to mind. Compared to the DAP kit, these are mere guidelines than informative instructions. Anyone experienced enough to try one of these kits knows how build it in an order that makes sense to them but clearer illustrations are really needed along with a better organization of what parts go with what build option and when.

This kit is by far the most daring I have ever been with a model. I have never done this much PE, detail sets and scratchbuilding, well, ever. All of this is before I get deeply into paint and weathering. I am learning more and trying more on this build than any kit I have built. Using washes is a great example. After I painted the main deck I used a wash for the first time and wow, what a difference! Using a combination of washes I got the smudged deck appearance that wanted. I have even gone back and reworked older kits to try things out with satisfying results.

This forum has been a fantastic resource and a wonderfully welcoming community as well. The encouragement and advice I have received has been great, even to the point that it saved the build thanks to a tip I got here (see the discussion on CA glue and freezing parts). I have proudly stolen more ideas and techniques that I have seen here than I can count. In all, it has reignited my love for kit building and given me something quiet to do when my son sleeps. It is also something I look forward to sharing with him one day. I only hope that he will enjoy it too.

Paul

Edited by Wrlss911Pro

I have an issue looming on the horizon for this kit and need some advice.  I was test fitting the canopy, and noticed that it is about an 1/8 inch off at either the top or the botttom, based on what is lined up correctly.  I am looking for ideas on how to approach this issue.  Has ayone seen this before?

I will post pictures tomorrow.  I am concerned that this may be a bridge too far with this kit, although I am so far along, I don't want to give up.

Thanks,

Paul

I have an issue looming on the horizon for this kit and need some advice.  I was test fitting the canopy, and noticed that it is about an 1/8 inch off at either the top or the botttom, based on what is lined up correctly.  I am looking for ideas on how to approach this issue.  Has ayone seen this before?

I will post pictures tomorrow.  I am concerned that this may be a bridge too far with this kit, although I am so far along, I don't want to give up.

Thanks,

Paul

I will look at mine tomorrow...I agree this kit is challenging....just dont give up.

Oliver

Thanks,

Paul

Here are the promised pictures.

I thinnk it may be doable, but any ideas would be appreciated.

50D8A482-C41D-4309-8BF7-FA8F625969F5_zps

With the top of the canopt lined up....

DD02FE62-AF8E-45D3-B0BF-57843DC7A16E_zps

Port side gap....

21F661A6-53C3-420B-8739-85E996FE5D22_zps

Starboard side issue..

1A4F294D-F2C8-4CD1-BEB1-1D0ACA597069_zps

Another angle.

Glue the bottom side first one at a time with drops of super glue(careful of CA fume with clear parts)

there should be enough play in the helo frame to match the bottom of the clear part. Top part should be last to glue. You might have to add a plastic strip piece at the top of the clear part to close gap between fuselage...maybe someone has a better way to fix this issue and I hope they share it with us cause that's a tricky fix..good luck.

Oliver

Glue the bottom side first one at a time with drops of super glue(careful of CA fume with clear parts)

there should be enough play in the helo frame to match the bottom of the clear part. Top part should be last to glue. You might have to add a plastic strip piece at the top of the clear part to close gap between fuselage...maybe someone has a better way to fix this issue and I hope they share it with us cause that's a tricky fix..good luck.

Oliver

That was my thought also when I was photographing this.

Thanks Oliver.

BR//Paul

And the answer is.........STEAM!

While trying Olivers solution with limited success, a comment from a visit to a now defonct local hobby shop popped into my head.  I was asking about bending som clear styrene rod, and was told to hold the rod over a boiling pot of water, that the diffuse heat of the steam would make the styrene soft enought to reshape.  I used the whistle of a steam kettle to get a more concentrated AND CONTROLLED application.

WARNING: STEAM HEAT, EVEN FROM A KETTLE WILL BURN YOU FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY JAKIE ROBINSON!!! USE EXTREME CAUTION IF USING THIS TECHNIQUE!!!!

Here is the dry fit results. I can work with this.

381324D1-D317-4E4C-A9D9-8F09994592D7_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed! Loving the progress so far.

Kev

Thanks Kev, Thanks Oliver.

No real updates this week.  Between work, some external personal issues and fighting bronchitis, no real work has been completed on the nap time MH-60S.

I did figure out that the whole nose is a bit cocked to the left leading to the poor fit of the canopy, so some steam work is on tap for tomorrow. If that does not work. I think some surgery to fore end will be in order. I think I can razor saw a line perpendicular to the center line and insert some styrene spacers along with some putty. A little sandpaper and some elbow grease and I should be good to go.

I am really disapointed with the fit on this kit.  I am hoping that I just got a bad one, but between the poor instructions and the fit, It is frustrating.  Thankfully I built the DAP before, so I am familiar with the basics.

Oh and I have been working on a support vehicle.  I did some major modifications and repairs last night. I am really proud of the weathering.

F60AB04F-4CA8-469E-B974-26E8D74C77B3_zps

Some needed repairs...

2D1B61A7-F00F-49AB-A661-38F0AB2A55E5_zps

Adding structural reinforcments for accuracy :wicked:

C64A50A6-3334-4509-9598-079F2BD29166_zps

Ready for the flight deck!

2B2E712E-F173-44C2-A33E-E50EB1A1DCF1_zps

My assistant. He is reponsible for the weathering on the support vehicle.  He really sank his teeth into it!

Seriously, this little dumptruck is just about my two year old son's favorite toy. His grandmother brought me the pieces last night after he overcame my last repair job. So instead of going to bed early to rest like I planned, I went to the basement and rebuilt it for him.

Totally worth it.

As long as I can repair this and his other toys, I will. The one observation I have, is that I would not have the skills to repair it without modeling. Since this is essentially scratchbuilding, it helps with my modeling. As a project manager, it helps me decompose tasks into steps, which is good practice for work. Not to forget the the stress management I get from building.

@Oliver, I understand that you are an art director for a career, do you get the same set of benefits, where one arena helps in the other?