Nap time Academy 1/35 MH-60S

Wrlss911Pro

I would use a micro chisel first before introducing powered tools.remove most of it then sand flush..you can rebuild the torn out piece with thin styrene..this is what I would do, I am sure that some of the guys here might come with another trick to fix this issue as well.

I would use a micro chisel first before introducing powered tools.remove most of it then sand flush..you can rebuild the torn out piece with thin styrene..this is what I would do, I am sure that some of the guys here might come with another trick to fix this issue as well.

I am on board with the fix; using thin styrene stock will be my approach. I would like to rescue the wedge shaped floor conduit though, as that would make my life much easier. I will put some thought into using micro chisels, although, I have to admit, they scare me a little.

Edited by Wrlss911Pro

Assuming the bond between the resin and styrene was made with super glue, I would suggest placing it in the freezer for a few hours. You should be able to easily remove the resin part after removing it. (Freezing causes the water molecules trapped in the super glue bond to expand, thereby creating microfractures weakening the bond enough that simple torsion is often enough to break the bond.)

Assuming the bond between the resin and styrene was made with super glue, I would suggest placing it in the freezer for a few hours. You should be able to easily remove the resin part after removing it. (Freezing causes the water molecules trapped in the super glue bond to expand, thereby creating microfractures weakening the bond enough that simple torsion is often enough to break the bond.)

Baron- you sir, are a steely eyed missle man! Freezing the parts worked like a charm! Thank you for the tip! I was even able to rescue the conduit piece.

A little thin styrene and better dry fitting and we will be rocking! I am hoping to complete the fix this weekend. I will put up photos when it is done.

Thanks to everyone. This is why I like this community. Sharing the joy we get from building our kits.

Edited by Wrlss911Pro

Thanks Oliver, the only other thing I want to point out, has to do with the aftermarket parts.

When using the Cobra Company sidewalls, it is tempting to add material to the bottom of the parts, assuming you prepped correctly. DON'T!!! I have made this mistake twice now. On the other hand the Eduard brass for the overhead is too large an requires both careful installation and trimming.

Paul

Hi

I learned something about superglue in the freezer, great tip. 

Beautiful save on the side walls. looking good.

Oliver

One other thing I tried that worked beautifully, is to return the kit part to the freezer after I removed the errant pieces. When I pulled it out of the deep freeze, most of the unwanted CA scraped off. I had to do almost no sanding..

Here is a little more progress an the finally completed overhead. All the paint, weathering and PE is in. I have started on the gunner seats and a single gunner figure.

This willl be my las post for a bit due to some surgery. I was hoping ti get the fuselage all buttoned up before i went under the knife, then I realized I needed the gunner for the dio I have in mind.

a3ed1046-fa2c-49bb-85be-0a9b599fb8f8_zps

cb531cdc-33c3-4392-9ed9-d6358f1702c8_zps

fd5e3fad-5fe0-41b2-a975-aa6f42405173_zps

Edited by Wrlss911Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

It has been a while since my last post, but I have made a little progress. I had shoulder surgery a couple of weeks back and am just now getting back on the nap time MH-60S Knight Hawk.

While I was down, I realized I needed add the seats aft of the cockpit and the figures I am putting in the aircraft. So....here are the photos of where I am at the moment. All comments and criticisms are welcomed.

A few technical notes; I am primarily using acrylics to paint all the surfaces. Currently, I am trying to completely eliminate enamels from my paint stock.

To achieve the affect for the skin tones on the figures I am using oil paints over a flat white primer coat.  Here, I am trying somthing new for me by using Archer Fine Transfers to do the eyes. So far, I am pleased with the results.

For weathering I am using a combination of; pastels, Tamiya Weather Master sets and Testors Createx acrylic weathering washes. All new techniques for me. Finally I picked up fine art pencils in silver and brass shades. I am really pleased with the subtle details picked up using the pencils. For example, I used the silver pencil on the retaining straps on the fire extinguishers. A FAR better result than I could have achieved using paint.

Here is the door gunner, although I think I am going to re-do the seat supports to swap the figure from port to starboard.

FD1D390B-BBE9-4636-8AD2-FBB9FB72A66F_zps

This is the first batch of heads using oils and Archer eyeballs. (What an odd sentence to write!)

E6F133DA-47EE-44DA-8CDE-F904599E13B4_zps

The pilot from above The cockpit was detailed using the Eduard set.  I am pleased with the result.

1E778DA2-C65D-4801-AC79-C9EF9053AC12_zps

Finally, here is the pilot from the side. I reworked both hands to get a realistic "grasping" affect on the Cobra Company parts. The cyclic was scratchbuilt using brass rod and the collective was re-positioned with a new angle. I also completely re-positioned and re-worked the pilot's left arm with putty and a brass rod pin.

F349AEA1-378B-4769-9F1D-B719326AC1BF_zps

A final note on the figures. This kit is my first real foray into weathering and I am, for the first time really pleased with the look of the uniforms.  I have used different washes to create a varied look between folds and peaks in the clothing. The depth and layered look is something that I have always strived for, but eluded me.  Using washes has re-invigorated my enjoyment of doing figures. So much so, that I am revisiting older figure kits and applying the techniques that I have learned on this kit, including the ones picked up on this forum. Thanks everyone!

Paul

Hi All,

Big progress this weekend. The flight crew has been completed and installed as well putting in deck/cockpit and overhead.

For the first time ever, I am pleased with the outcome of a figures uniform. Using a wash made all the difference.

SNV12104_zps2spkt9cb.jpg

1AA163A1-82C4-4BE7-9B99-D8A59889694C_zps

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/pdfletcher/F885AB50-3543-42D5-A63B-38D5CE9563FD_zps9x7r9ftr.jpgF885AB50-3543-42D5-A63B-38D5CE9563FD_zps

BB0A7235-1639-4AD4-8827-AE582F29FB47_zps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I wanted to check in with my latest progress.

It is slow due to recovery from my surgery and, well, life.  I have the buttoned up the fuselage and have been adding the Eduard kits.  Compared to Oliver's amazing scratch built details, I feel like I am cheating, and not getting as nice a result to boot! Still, the parts are nice and fit pretty well for the most part.

I will probably do another Academy H-60 at some some point, and will use the Cobra Company set again, I think I will stay with the kit seats. While the Cobra seats are really nice, they are hard to work with and nearly beyond my skill level.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Here are the pics.

BA6EDAD1-B891-4A96-9EB4-B14E40437CA1_zps

5429CF0A-39FE-4358-AF8D-946AAE509960_zps

2305DF8E-EB3A-48BC-AF10-FBCFD4DA94B8_zps

NOTE: I opened up and boxed in the vents to add depth. It shows up here more than in real life. Also you can see how nicel the CC intake blends to the kit.

0462DBC9-8D04-4727-ADEF-35BCEC4ACF8F_zps

BFDC0E3F-4A4B-41C8-8318-034AE7F52B61_zps

00072BEB-DB3D-45BF-963A-D8BC694652ED_zps