Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

Thank you for the reference material kuky76. If you can translate Japanese writing, can you tell me what the subtitles under the photos in your previous post say? I'm just curious and don't have the book to scan and use the translation app on my phone with.

Thanks again,

Brady

Hi Brady

If you mean the last my post, the english text there is below the picture (text page 150). The book Model Art Profile no.12 contains only short english translation for some pictures.

Unfortunately I don´t have the book Camouflage and Markings of the INFin original, which I posted on 8th October. I downloaded it from website, so I can´t translate it.

Mirek

Hello everyone,

OK before I screw up here, I want to ask a color question. Who makes the most accurate Nakajima Gray-olive and Green colored paints? I thought I read somewhere that I wanted to use the Mr. Color 128 for the overall Grey-olive color to me it just doesn't look Olive enough though. Please tell me if there's something better (more accurate) for me to use for these two colors because I'm going to need both of them. I'm pretty confident that I can't use the suggestions in the Tamiya instruction manual because they're all Mitsubishi birds.

Thanks,

Brady

Hi Brady

I don´t know, which color of Gunze C you should be use, because I usually painted by Tamiya acrylic colour. You can compare Gunze C with colour chips bellow.

source: http://j-aircraft.com/research/gregspringer/wem-review/wem-review.htm

Photo%202%20WEM%20gray-green%20and%20kha

Somewhere I found this mix: C60 (RLM02) 50% + C336 (Hemp) 50% plus little bit C1 (White) 

The

Mirek

Edited by kuky76

Hello everyone,

I'm back with what I've been able to find on the available Nakajima exterior colors I need and found one that kind of makes me wonder if it fits the best grey to use without having to mess with the mixing of paints. I found a picture here in a review of an entire set of the Colourcoats paints. The one I'm considering is labeled #17 in the picture and is labeled as being Nakajima Aber Grey (Amerio). Here's the review:  

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/accessories/wejapanw2.htm

What do you guys think is it right for a Nakajima exterior color? The #2 jar in that same picture of the review is actually Nakajima Navy Grey, not just IJN Aircraft Navy Grey like it's labeled in the review. Which one is better for what we want to do here before we start? The crazy part about it is Hasegawa suggests Mr.Color 128 for the grey in the instructions for their 1/48 scale model of this bird.

These are the colors that I have and was considering originally using:

IMG_20151027_125354_152_zps6e9jgofz.jpg

Left to right

Grey-green
Dark Green - Nakajima IJN
Nakajima cockpit color
J.A. Grey

The sad part is I'd say that the cockpit color is the closest to what I want.

Give me all your input please.

Thanks,
Brady 

Hi Mirek,

A question more off subject, is that your build of the Tamiya 1/32 A6M2b in your last post? If so, where did you get your markings, that particular Zero is on my "To Do" list. What stencil did you use for the cowling panel ID stencil?

Thanks,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I'm still wrestling with the challenge of determining the right base color. I did however try a test of colors on a wingtop half that was damaged when I got this kit and I've already had replaced by Tamiya. I used two Mr.Colors 128 IJN Grey-Green & 129 Dark Green (Nakajima). I tried my best to free hand the upper wing profile that Hasegawa provides in their 1/48 kit. Here's what I painted to model after:

9520-130317_zpspz97cxho.jpg

And what it looks like now:

IMG_20151030_140954_594_zps90igkxvr.jpg

Looking at the results and comparing them to the one photo there is of this plane's tail, I think the photo Mirek you posted for me may prove I used the wrong colors on this test. To me it looks like a drastic difference in colors between the metal and fabric surfaces on the real plane in your picture. I'm thinking I may want to use the more khaki color (Amerio) for the metal surfaces and the IJN Grey for the fabric surfaces to get it to look like it does in Mirek's picture.

Cheers,

Brady

I'm enjoying the research, it's great that you're paying that much attention to getting the colors just right.  Really shows the passion and attention you have for this plane.  I hope everything works out for it.  I used the Tamiya colors to do my Zero, probably not right looking back on it.  But I was young(er), and just followed the instruction booklet.

Matt  :frantic: