Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

A little FYI on your chosen aircraft:

This snippet  taken from the PacificWrecks website: 

"During Operation I-GO during April 1943, her planes were sent to Ballale on April 7 and then Rabaul, with those of other Japanese carriers, for land-based attacks on the Allied forces gathering at Guadalcanal and New Guinea."

Carrier Junyo carried 21 A6M Zero fighters at the time (Wikipedia is a resource but I'm not sure I trust it completely so take it for what it's worth). I have not found any specific photos of your chosen aircraft other than the one posted above.  I'm still looking.  Lacking any substantial photographic evidence, it is entirely possible that the camo scheme represented by Hasegawa is purely conjecture.  If so, you may be able to use artistic licensewith the remainder of the aircraft.

Here's another little tidbit I picked up from j-aircraft.com about the differentiation between Mitsubishi and Nakajima built A6M2's... to quote Jim Lansdale:

1) Orders WERE given by Imperial GHQ (or "X" agency) to make the fuselage (and wing?) hinomaru more conspicuous with a white background around August 1942. The Nakajima factory began to apply this 75 mm outline to the A6M2 model 21 Zero fuselage hinomaru in compliance with the order at that time. It is apparent, from the photographic record, that Mitsubishi did not (I know not why!).
2) BECAUSE of this practice by Nakajima, it WAS POSSIBLE to distinguish the Nakajima product from the Mitsubishi product (particularly on the A6M2 model 21s in the overall hairyokushoku/g-p finish).
This practice was not meant to be a visual distinction (since the data stencil clearly provided the information as to manufacturer). It became a de facto recognition feature!!!
Wing hinomaru were not outlined at the factory level on Zeros by either manufacturer until the advent of the factory-applied two-color camouflage pattern.

REF: http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M_pt3.htm#Re:%20Zero%20Wing%20Hinomaru%20White%20Outlines?ascessed 10/1/2015

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks kuky76.

I've been told that that picture is the only real picture there is that we know actually is 2-2-103. That's why I've been wondering where everyone has gotten a layout for the rest of the scheme covering the rest of the plane.

Cheers,

Brady

Juggernut,

I think Hasegawa and Rising Decals may have used conjecture. The amazing part is how closely they are to each other in similarity as far as pattern goes. That or they had one person work for both of them or one company somewhat copied the other's work. I'm not sure but Hasegawa is the only one who gives an idea for the tops of the wings as far as pattern goes, so I may lean more towards their layout of the scheme.

Brady

Hello everyone,

kuky76 I really like your three photos. I wish they all revealed more information on their identity of each one. That sure seems to me to be one thing the Japanese didn't want the public to know was the true identity of their planes. It just sucks for history purposes now days.

I got a little bit of bench time in this weekend, not much but some. I basically just got my painting errors corrected. At least I think they're all corrected now. I painted the rear cockpit decking and the inner and outer parts of the cowling flat black, because this will be a Nakajima built bird. I also messaged and emailed Randy (sluggo) on some masks for the camouflage version, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Here's what she looks like now:

IMG_20151004_150108_786_zpsn0vtpisa.jpg

I sure didn't want to paint over the Aotake that I had already put on the parts for the inside of the cowl after having to mix the paint for them, but I did it so I sure hope it's right now.

That's all for now,

Brady

Nice progress. :clap2:  :clap2: 

Here is some information that may help you:

Nakajima factory:

• cockpit color should be green FS24095 (1941 - 1942), FS24373 (1942 - 1944)
  • wheel wells should be "Aotake"
  • cowling (outside/inside) should be black FS27038
  • back side of the propeller should be brown FS30059, but not on the entire surface
  • navlight of the right wing should be blue with yellow bulb light
  • undercarriage bays should be the same colour (Hairyokushoku) as the lower camouflage
  • cockpit decking should be black FS27038

Mirek

I apologize for my terrible english. :doh:

Nakajima:

• wheell wells in "Aotake"
  • covers of landing gear in the same color as the lower camouflage, but two small pieces of covers of landing gears under the fuselage in the "Aotake"

Mitsubishi:

• wheell wells and covers of landing gear in the same color as the lower camouflage

Mirek

Hi Brady,

I found some informations in the book bellow (page 32 and 47), which can help you. There is a possibly reconstruction pattern of the upper surface of Zeros. Probably nobody knows how exactly it looked.  :coolio:

I looking forward to next progress

Mirek

Camouflage%20a%20Markings%20_zpscpaech32

Zero_page%2047_up_zpsrgystjlh.png

Zero_page%2047_zps5r31rmxn.jpg

Zero_Page%2032_zpsbzv4951i.jpg

Edited by kuky76

• 2 weeks later...

Model Art Profile no.12, page 23

Zero_flekateacute_zpshjptqqg9.jpg

Text page 150

A6M2 of carrier Zuiho, in the Southern Pacific fronts, Oct. 1943

A6M2 of carrier Junyo, the Solomon Islands, Apr. 1943

A6M2 of carrier Hiyo, the Solomon, Apr. 1943

A6M2 of 652nd Naval Air Corps aboard of carrier Junyo, Battle of the Phillippine Sea, the 19th June 1944

Edited by kuky76