Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

OK thanks for the information ade rowlands. It sounds like I will get to repaint the inner part of the cowling too since I already painted it Aotake earlier while I had it loaded in the airbrush.

Cheers,

Brady

Brady, you are doing a Great job!!

I know a lot of folks on here ...me included have to re-do stuff sometimes...that's what makes it all FUN! :rofl:

Hang in there buddy all will be ok! Looking forward to following a long  :popcorn:

Teresa  :)

Thanks for the kind words you guys. I still haven't gotten finalized on a paint scheme for this project but I've pretty well narrowed it down to two I like: 

9520-130316_zpsyliu4lfq.jpg

9520-130317_zpspz97cxho.jpg

hsgs7333main-lg_zpsqgn7antl.jpg

65_168_zpsgcj745oi.jpg

Or this paint scheme with Houkoku number 1053:

RD_32-003_instruction_zpsstxdc9hy.jpg

I just can't find any real photos of 2-2-103 other than one of the tail number, so how everyone seems to know its camouflage pattern I'd love to know. Whereas Houkoku number 1053, WI-150 isn't verified to be it's tail number, just a tail that got carried out of the jungle with the rest of the plane for parts supposedly.

Sigh.... Why couldn't the Japs just take more and better photos like we did and not doctor the ones they did take so often.

That's all for now.

Brady

Honestly Bray, no-one is completely sure.

Looking at the various links, Nick Millman's pages are rational and evidence based, not just passing on what he heard from a bloke who knew etc., etc.

Have a look through his site as he does cover this, just can't find the direct link right now, sorry.

Later note:  Nakajima is straight black on the decking.

Edited by Le Lapin Mal

Hello Brady ( and all LSPer's ),

I've been a long time lurker here but your build has prompted my first post. I too have this kit and have been planning a build with a non PH scheme as well. I've pretty much settled on 2-1-128 with the field applied dark green mottled camo on the fuselage and upper wings (option 4 on the Rising Decals sheet). My plan is to paint on all markings. Just thought I'd let you know that I really like what I see and I'm following your build with interest.   

v/r,

Rob

That engine is looking WONDERFUL.   

The decking color also holds true to use flat black on the decking for Nakajima built A6M2-Ns as well. However the green/blue Aotake color normally applied (just a green/blue tint to the clear they used to tell where they had been) was instead just a clear on the inner cowl, inner fuse and inner flaps (no wheel wells of course), and appeared as silver and not blue/green.

Silver paint was used in the flap wells of the Suisen, not the land based Reisen.  The fuselage should be aotake behind frame 6 (aft wall of the cockpit).  Again, A6M's had a floatation bag from frame 7 back to the tail wheel well so nothing should be able to be seen aft of frame 7.  Tamiya does not include this important piece of equipment in either of their A6M kits, nor do they include the canvas tail wheel boot that isolated the tail wheel from the rest of the interior of the empennage, preventing dirt and debris from entering and fouling the mechanisms within.  Another big "oopsie" for Tamiya is that they copied and pasted the oxygen cylinder installation from their A6M5 kit, to their A6M2 kit which is at least partially incorrect (I'm going from memory here so it may be totally incorrect).  This just FYI for us pedantic A6M types :)

Edited by Juggernut

Brian,

I'm seriously considering 2-2-103 because it looks like a challenge for me with an airbrush and more out of the usual like you said. I'm like you, I like the unusual subjects to model.

Cheers,

Brady

Go for it!   If you are not so confident with the AB skills, id say if you have an old SOD sitter model you can use as a test bed, apply some of your A6M2 base coat, then experiment with the AB camo on that till you get more comfy with how you want to proceed on the camo...............

Also, if you dont want to go all super free-hand on it, if I were doing 2-2-103 I would probably get some Blu-tac and roll it into some little blu-tac "snakes" and then use those to form the demark outline for all your camo patches.

Silver paint was only used in the flap wells of the A6M2-N, not the land based counterparts as far as I can tell.

Exactly. Hence the highlighted text

That engine is looking WONDERFUL.

The decking color also holds true to use flat black on the decking for Nakajima built A6M2-Ns as well. However the green/blue Aotake color normally applied (just a green/blue tint to the clear they used to tell where they had been) was instead just a clear on the inner cowl, inner fuse and inner flaps (no wheel wells of course), and appeared as silver and not blue/green.

As In that case, I was only speaking of the A6M2-Ns and not the land based A6M2s.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Welcome aboard Rob! I'm glad you joined us.

I think you guys may have talked me into doing the camouflaged scheme. I'll have to get in touch with Randy for a masking set, since Rising Decals only did these decals in 1/72 scale. Just wondering does anyone have the  actual 1/48 Hasegawa kit those two pictures I posted of the instruction manual above from by chance? If so could I have a scan of the same part of the instructions I posted so I can enlarge them to 1/32 for a homemade mask for the camo that doesn't give a real hard edge, but will be a better resolution to start from.

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals!

Cheers,

Brady

Welcome aboard Rob! I'm glad you joined us.

I think you guys may have talked me into doing the camouflaged scheme. I'll have to get in touch with Randy for a masking set, since Rising Decals only did these decals in 1/72 scale. Just wondering does anyone have the  actual 1/48 Hasegawa kit those two pictures I posted of the instruction manual above from by chance? If so could I have a scan of the same part of the instructions I posted so I can enlarge them to 1/32 for a homemade mask for the camo that doesn't give a real hard edge, but will be a better resolution to start from.

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals!

Cheers,

Brady

Brady,

I don't have a copy of the instructions but in looking at the two profiles of 2-2-103 there are differences in the patterns. Since the camo  was applied in the field and photos are scarce/nonexistent it may make sense to make your own pattern or do it freehand. Just a thought.

v/r

Rob