Hasegawa FW 190A-8 Update 7/19/15

D.B. Andrus

Shimming the Fuselage:

(Please note that performing this procedure will result in minor "tolerance stacking" when attaching the lower wing. I recommend gluing the upper wing halves to the to the fuselage before proceeding. This will help with fitment of the bottom wing assembly. Some adjustment will be necessary.)

The cowling on my copy of the kit didn't fit very well. Too large in comparison to the fuselage. Rather than squeeze the cowling to fit the fuselage, and subsequently have an egg-shaped power-egg :) , I decided to slightly widen the fuselage from approximately mid level to the bottom. This was accomplished by adding a .040" (1.02 mm) shim at the place indicated:

Drawing1_zpsfrzqcsuv.jpg

As this addition will throw off the fit of the bottom center wing plate some additional shimming from .005" to .020" (.13 mm to .51 mm) will need to be done:

( Added mock-up MG 151 receivers as they can be seen through the brass ejection port on the real deal.)

cid_A563F872B9294B3A87EF291B1116EF1FDami

IMG_2081_edited-1_zpsw3dsbwth.jpg

This results in a somewhat tighter fit which I find more a bit more faithful to the original a/c( cowling is hand-held, second photo shows a less accurate fit than in reality):

IMG_2079_edited-1_zpsvqd7t3yh.jpg

IMG_2080_edited-1_zpsjzkankpq.jpg

Thanks for looking in.  More later.

Cheers, 

D.B.

PS:  The lower, side latches are yet to be re-scribed.

Edited by D.B. Andrus

• 3 weeks later...