How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

Amazing build. I use aftermarket decals to get my models looking different from other planes going around. There's no chance of this bird sitting next to another 1/32 Prowler.

Also I must agree with Rich, the light strips are very detailed and look awesome.

Thank you all for your kind comments, gentlemen! Rich, I think the formation strips come from a True Details PE fret and were intended for a F-4C; I will check when I am back home and let you know the manufacturer. Not sure it's still available though, I have bought some old PE stuff from a guy selling his collection and this was part of it. 

Ziggy, you are right, I should have filled the RH side one - I sadly only got aware of this when the decals were already applied. I have more decals at home, but it would probably cause a huge mess and require a lot of work to get this area neat again, so I think I am going to live with this error. I may still change my mind, though. I'll probably just have to look at it often enough... :D 

Your comments are certainly keeping me motivated - thank you very much! :) 

Thanks for the hint, Peter! My idea was to cut small anti-slip surfaces for the steps and boarding platform from sanding paper and to glue them onto the respective parts. That should give quite a good effect, what do you think? 

IMG_0381.jpg

Ben, that may work. Or try Mr. Surfacer dabbled with a brush and then painted. They got worn down pretty quick, especially on the edge of the ladder. The platform stayed black though.

I will add that those exhausts look exquisite. I mean seriously I'm speechless. You even have the EMI fingers around the edge of the tailpipe. And the weathering on the non-skid above that looks perfect. Perfect mix of paint, nonskid and grime...!

If you look at photos ! You'll see how the exhaust thre soot & oil along the empennage. At times it could be so thick that you could wipe your fingers through it and leave graffiti. Not that Sailors ever did that... it usually got cleaned up via a rag every day, but that detail would set it apart.

Peter

Thanks Peter, i am glad you like it! I'll probably have to use Mr Surfacer for the steps - I thought the holes were covered on the Prowler, but that obviously isn't the case. This means more masking for me - not too happy about that, but hey. 

The exhaust are courtesy of Trumpeter - very nicely detailed for injection moulded parts indeed. I was thinking about adding a little black pastel chalk powder to the anti skid surfaces and the adjacent fuselage areas to simulate foot prints and rubber literally being rubbed away by the rough surface. 

Actually, I was quite astonished  that there were not that many oil stains on the Prowlers on the photos I have - just saw some behind the forward lading gear bay, on the main landing gear doors and on the rivets and/or fasteners on the rear engine hatches. The rest of the airframe looked rather clean. Wing undersides looked rather neat as well - no graphite oil stains or so. Or were the aircraft on these pics just exceptionally clean? I will certainly add some more dirt though, that's for sure. 

Started polishing the canopies yesterday - not the most fun thing to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

4 weeks left - time is running! The cutouts for the rear canopy linkages have been made:

IMG_0457.jpg

The canopies have been tinted with Revell clear orange...

IMG_0467.jpg

... but I didn't like the look, so I wiped it off again and re-polished the canopies. I am currently making some tests with Future tinted with Smoke; if that does not turn out the way I want, I'll leave the canopies as they are. I don't want any glitter particles or pigments on my canopy, so using copper, gold, Alclad or whatever won't work for me...

14639899_1224153900941519_26133259925092

In the meantime, I have added some rivets to the spoiler undersides.

14940248_1224154074274835_61495592258530

The outer wing sections have been fitted, the ALQ-99 pods have been decalled and fitted. Quite a few antennas have to be built and painted, the seats have to be modified and painted, my self-designed Douglas 300 Gal tanks habe to be prepared, not even talking about the figurines... it'll be rather difficult to get this one done for the BSMC show as life outside scale modelling doesn't stop either.

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499a.jpg

Very majestic Prowler!

While for the canopies - what I'm using is aqua gloss 600 + a tiny amount of some water based paint. In your case probably a normal orange aquarel paint should work, it just has to dissolve easily in water. And that's it, it gives the shine and gloss from the lacquer and meanwhile has a transparent tint.