How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

Hehe.  That's about as bad as scratchbuilding an EA-6B.  Of course, you've got the toughest part with the canopies and mod'ed cockpits.  Great start though.  Let me know if you need references, or questions.  You know what variant you're building?

-Peter

Thanks a lot for your kind comments! This conversion is not that hard - the most difficult parts are the canopies, as Peter already mentioned...

Hehe.  That's about as bad as scratchbuilding an EA-6B.  Of course, you've got the toughest part with the canopies and mod'ed cockpits.  Great start though.  Let me know if you need references, or questions.  You know what variant you're building?

-Peter

Well, it's not quite as hard as scratchbuilding a 1/24th scale Prowler - still stunned by your work! I am not too afraid of the cockpits, the canopies are much more difficult. Getting the windshield right is not that easy either as there are many subtle differences between the Prowler and the Intruder windshield (and it seems that it's not only about size).

I currently have two favourite markings - BuNo 160707 as VAQ-136s CAG aircraft in 2000 should be a standard ICAP II to my understanding:

3075.jpg

Or BuNo 161883 with those stunning VAQ-209 'Darth Vader' markings. Still need to check which exact version this is - the antenna configuration is obviously different, I'd need to find out if there are any differences in the instrument layout.

VAQ209.jpg

I am still looking for good references to draw my decals (although I've already started the VAQ-136 drawings). So if anybody has Fightertown Decals 48050 and/or CAM Decals 48-068, please send me a PM - you could help making my life much easier! ;)

Yesterday, I've opened the forward fuselage and started playing around with the rear cockpit. The Trumpeter part seems to be quite a good base for the rear tub. I also got an already partially painted Avionix cockpit with my kit, and I am already thinking about hacking it into pieces to use it as a base for the front office.

IMG_6401a.jpg

IMG_6399a.jpg

Well, both birds are basically the same: ICAP II.

The VAQ-136 bird is likely a Block 86 or 89 version. Big difference between the 2 is digital Compass and attitude displays for the pilot. The USQ-113 jammer control in the front right cockpit was likely missing, as they weren't installed until squadrons arrived in theater.

As for the Star Warriors bird, that's a Block 89A. It has the digital instruments previously mentioned, and a dual GPS/INS. Radios are ARC-210's, which is why you see the different antenna... It may or may not have NVD lighting, which means LED strobes.

Looking great though--you're making me think I should have gone your route!

-Peter

Thanks a lot for the info, Peter! Where is the USQ-113 located? It's not in the forward instrument panel, is it? There is one panel which is often seen missing on birds on the ground but that's the HARM control panel IIRC... Just compare the two following pics:

ZG55_509.jpg

1733836.jpg

Talking about references - do you have any pics showing the cockpit side walls? I haven't found anything yet...

The top pic is an ICAP II Block 89 bird.  Perfect for the VAQ-136 markings.  The missing component above the radar boot is the USQ-113.  Most squadrons didn't get them till they were deployed, hence the hole in the IP.  Another less obvious way to note the difference is the INS to the left of the radar boot.To the right and barely visible is the GPS.

The last picture is of an ICAP II Block 89A bird.  Giveaway is the new INS/GPS control panel to the left of the radar.  You can see USQ-113 control panel installed above the radar.  By the 2000's there were enough USQs to go around, so less gaping holes.

And sorry, I don't have much to go on for pics of the side consoles.  Really suggest the detail and scale or squadron walk around books, they've got the best (until Jake Melampy does a Prowler detail book).

-Peter

Thank you very much for the detailed information, Peter! I have every Prowler book available, but none of them really shows what I'd like to see... I'll keep my eyes open, maybe I'll find what I need!