How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

For the Prowler, it has to be USS Kitty Hawk anyway! ;) It was everything but easy to get some references showing the area I want to build - as usual for me, I have chosen an area which is very rarely photographed from outside the carrier as it is always sea side when the carrier is in port...

• 2 weeks later...

Post call! The decals have arrived - again printed by BOA in Czech Republic. Printing quality is excellent again and if the decal film is as good as the one on the RF-8 decals, it will be a pleasure to apply them. Can't wait! This means I'll have to make some progress - stuck with the landing gear at the moment. The assembly took a long time (huge amount of parts) and now, the wiring is awaiting me... 

IMG_8350.jpg

Thanks Jim! :) Once I have started adding the wiring to the landing gear, I will upload some photos. The parts as they come from the box might not be that interesting - nicely detailed but man, what a huge amount of work due to the high number of parts and the required clean up.

Scale Navy Stuff decals is my "company", but that's just for fun at the moment! ;) I have drawn the artwork and had 10 sheets custom (silk-)printed by BOA, a well-known company in Czech Republic. Some sheets in new Revell kits are printed by them as well, for example. They printed my RF-8 decals a few years ago and tey were among the best decals I have ever worked with.

• 2 weeks later...

No real progress on the Prowler at the moment, but I hope to get the wiring on the landing gear done on Saturday. As some of you may know, I have a soft spot for carrier deck vehicles. I've been working on an Oshkosh MB-5 and was able to get a test print of the cab this week. Man, this thing is BIG! :D

IMG_8447.jpg

I think it would be a cool addition for carrier deck dioramas, together with aircraft from the 1960s - 1980s - the problem is that this thing is so bg that it would be way too expensive to cast it in resin. The only choice would be 3D printing IMO - sadly, I don't have the funds to buy a 3D printer myself, so this will probaly remain a one-off model...

Anyway, once I have all the parts, I will update my vehicle thread to show you how the entire thing looks. The Prowler landing gear update should be due on Monday! :)