How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

Wow, you have been busy! I thought just the prowler on its own was impressive, let alone seeing it in a line up with the other two on a deck! Insane work mate. I believe this is the first time I've seen a printed canopy, I'm very interested to see how clear it comes up after all the sanding..... I wasn't sure if due to the layered process of printing, whether or not you would still see some "growth rings" in the final product.

Very impressive mate!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out Mr Surfacer Black. Pretty good stuff - flaws are much easier to spot than on grey primer. 

IMG_8008.jpg

Detail work has begun as well. Added the small vents in the wing root to both fuselage side. The small hatches have been filled in the meantime.

IMG_8043.jpg

The antenna fairing on the fuselage top is based on the (Doppler radar?) bulge present on the birdcage underside on the Intruder. It ha to be flattened and lengthened but was a good base for the Prowler fairing.

IMG_8047.jpg

The air intakes were modified as well. I have added the foot steps to both intakes and modified the single point refueling are on the LH intake. As Rich has pointed out in his post http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53583&p=759684 , the refueling point on Prowler is surrounded by a raised area. A short segment of aluminum tube and some super glued did the trick. The coupling for the hose will be added later.

IMG_8100.jpg

Great work Ben...it's a treat to see this impressive conversion project take shape!

For the intake interiors, did you spray or "pour" the white paint into them? Whatever the case, it appears you achieved smooth and even coverage.

Regards,

Rich

Thank you all very much! :)

Rich, I have sprayed the intakes (Tamiya white + Gunze Levelling thinner). I am not looking forward to masking them though. I think I will put some foam into the intakes, paint the intake lips and then mask off the lips and repray the white. Seems to be easier than trying to mask off the white to spray the intake lips... 

Great work Starfighter.

I'm bookmarking this because twenty five or more years ago when the Hasegawa 1.72 Prowler came out, a single column wide photo in Flight magazine showed one with the engine bays cracked open, canopies and nosecone all raised, the avionics cage swung open and wings folded with the caption "...and it still flies!" caught my fancy.

Having wired and tubed up one engine, installed prettied up white metal GRU-7s into respectably detailed cockpits, it has laid in its box many a long year awaiting a head of steam to get going again.

In the meantime, your large scale build provides.both additional info, and a measure of vicarious surrogate satisfaction for something I still hope to complete,,,, one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Easter holiday! :) Thank you all again for you interest and your comments. Chek, I'd love to see your 72nd scale Prowler - having built the Hasegawa kit more than once I know it requires a lot of work, especially in the cockpit area! I remember the front office was way too short and both cockpits were extremely narrow. Not an easy task to use aftermarket seats in there! 

Rainer, the Hawkeyes are usually parked around the island whilst the Vikings and Prowlers sat at the ship's bow - putting them together would not be realistic. Another problem is the sheer size of a diorama including two or more of them. All three of them will probably get their own bases; the drawings for the Prowler base are ready by now. It is an option to add a second segment for the Viking... we'll see! :)

Andromeda, a 32nd Viking is already in the making: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=52725&do=findComment&comment=607293

Rainer, the Hawkeyes are usually parked around the island whilst the Vikings and Prowlers sat at the ship's bow - putting them together would not be realistic.

That's a lame excuse, Ben. Simply build a 1:32 Nimitz Class carrier to put them on. Should be no big deal for someone with your talent. And just remember: Size doesn't matter! :innocent:

Cheers

Rainer