How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

If you're looking for ideas about the canopy, google 1/48th Su-34 Fullback by a fellow named Paulo Regini.  I believe the link is still active on britmodeller, he was doing a scratch conversion and did some nice work with his canopy using a portion of a soda bottle I believe.

Looks great Ben...terrific job on the canopies.

I recall you mentioned some time ago that the windscreen too required some modification. Is it in fact different from the stock Intruder's?

Cheers, and keep up the good work! It's hard to believe anything could eclipse your LS photo Crusader, but this just might!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Thank you all very much for your kind coments! :)

Ben,
Looking Awesome! Those canopies are the bees knees! And concur with your thoughts on the yellow. They're actually lined with Gold--it changes hue depending on the light. I think you'll get good results with that film.

I just saw your figures. From having climbed on that TINY boarding platform (try balancing atop a ladder--usually in the dark--and swivel about before doing the contortions required to climb into the cockpit...that boarding platform is SMALL and HIGH. Absolutely terrifying at night, at sea, with jet exhaust blowing around you). My initial thought is the legs are good, but the torso needs to be parallel with the fuselage, and the right arm likely has a death grip on the lower canopy rail. There's a recessed hand hold in between the canopies, and I guarantee that his left hand is holding that :D

-Peter

Thanks for your input, Peter! :) I will definitely rework the ECMO1 figurine. Looking at the pic in the link I have posted the last time, I think the hand position is not too bad when one foot already is atop the boarding platform, but I'll definitely have to modify the torso. 

3D printed canopies, I never thought that would happen! Just shows how good these machines are.... As for the frames on the outer surface, could you not mask them off and go over with some primer to give you a slight raised effect? I'm not sure how thin plasticard goes to suit 1/32nd but this would be my choice... either way, what ever you do I've no doubt it will look fantastic.

Oh, one other thing, I think you need to alter the title, there is no way you've destroyed the expensive kit...... :thumbsup: :whistle:

The canopies could actually have been much better if my files had been more detaild and if I hadn't used a wrong printer setting (the used resin did not support the layer thickness I had chosen). Anyway, the base looks good and I hope I can polish the parts enough to use them.

I do like the idea to spray the canopy frames with primer - one of the guys from my modelling club had the same idea and I think I will give it a try!

If you're looking for ideas about the canopy, google 1/48th Su-34 Fullback by a fellow named Paulo Regini.  I believe the link is still active on britmodeller, he was doing a scratch conversion and did some nice work with his canopy using a portion of a soda bottle I believe.

I know his work from Facebook - awesome stuff, he just hasn't realized that he's working at the wrong scale! :D A soda bottle might be a little stiff to do the frames - I think I'll stick with Radder's idea and spray the frames with primer!

Looks great Ben...terrific job on the canopies.

I recall you mentioned some time ago that the windscreen too required some modification. Is it in fact different from the stock Intruder's?

Cheers, and keep up the good work! It's hard to believe anything could eclipse your LS photo Crusader, but this just might!

Rich

Thank you very much, Rich! :) The windscreen is definitely different from the Intruder - it's shorter in height and I am pretty sure the frames are slightly different in width and shape as well. The problem is that I have nothing to really prove, measure of define this. There is a difference in appearance to me, but it's pretty hard to tell what the exact differences are (except for the height). I think I got the height and angle more more less right on my modified resin part, but the flat windscreen portions appear to be shorter on the real a/c than they are on my part. This seems to be due to a different radius and/or width of the Prowler frames compared with the Trumpeter (Intruder-) frames.

In addition, the windscreen is much more difficult to draw in CAD. I work with Inventor which is not made to create freeform parts - the canopies (which are rather simple shape wise) already were a huge PITA to get more or less right. We'll see... I have a second Intruder windscreen and canopy on hand, maybe I can sand down the frames and redo them by hand.

couldn't you use aluminium self sticking tape airco guys use all the time to close the gaps on there piping? It's about the thickness of paper sticks well and you can add rivets and what not quite well in it. if you want I'll send you a length of that stuff I got a full roll from my construction days lasts me ages....

Top notch job as usual my friend...

Cheers Fred

Thanks Fred & Fred! ;) 

Stusbke, I have a few meters of self-adhesive copper and aluminum foils at home, but thanks a lot for your kind offer! :) The thing I fear when using this stuff is that silver or copper could shine through on the interior once the canopy is painted... Anyway, this method definitely is an alternative!

Thanks for your input, Peter! :) I will definitely rework the ECMO1 figurine. Looking at the pic in the link I have posted the last time, I think the hand position is not too bad when one foot already is atop the boarding platform, but I'll definitely have to modify the torso. 

Yes, the hand posit is ok. I know the woman in that pic--she's on the short side (as opposed to me at 6'4"). Shorter folks grabbed different spots. I couldn't reach that low without being forced into even more contortions...(referencing my previous post). I think the biggest factor is making sure your figure is holding on. Again looks great and thanks for sharing!

-Peter

Quick start on the birdcage. Again, the Prowler part hasn't much in common with the one fitted to the Intruder, so (almost) everything had to be made from scratch. It's just the beginning, of course. I'll also have to detail the inner fuselage; the problem ist that I have installed the airbrake housings which shouldn't be there. I'll have to try to get them out without destroying everything...

Birdcage.jpg

Some more 'Prow'gress! :) The Birdcage's basic structure is almost finished, the first rivets (from Micro Mark) have already been added. 

FullSizeRender1_1.jpg

I was pretty worried about how to remove the raised section (armour?) on the engine access hatches without destroying the interior details. The solution was pretty simple: I've cut the hatch at the edge of the raised portion and glued it back flush with the rest of the hatch. Just need to adjust the outline and to raise the small hatch (not yet done when the photo was taken).

IMG_7849.jpg

Yesterday, I have finally installed my paint booth. The compressor got an oil change and off I went for my first airbrush session since about two years. It's not perfect, but I am quite pleased with the result. I have even started playing around with washes, but the detail painting is still missing. I'll try to do that this week.

IMG_7875.jpg

Sadly, the compressor area will remain hidden, so the rear area of the engine will probably remain as it is right now.

IMG_7877.jpg

Detail painting done! There aren't many flashy colours on a J52, so this is about as much as I can do. I should maybe try to add some more shadows, what do you think? The small stencils on the electronics boxes are from Airscale, BTW.

IMG_7883.jpg

Engine in situ. Next step is to add some details to the engine compartment.

FullSizeRender%201.jpg

And the engine intake. By far not as nice as Rich's effort, but I think it doesn't look too bad. 

IMG_7885.jpg

Sweet is right.  Could you explain the making of the striped hoses.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Looks pretty sweet to me Ben. Love the engine, it looks spot on to me. Are you going to weather the white bit at all? Not sure what that is on the real aircraft.

Jim

Thank you, Jim - glad you like it! I am thinking about adding a little wash, but the intake ducts looked very neat on all the pics I have seen so far... it would maybe help to blend it in a little as the duct looks pretty flashy as it is right now.

http://media.defense.gov/2015/Dec/14/2001325170/-1/-1/0/151201-M-WP334-102.JPG

Sweet is right.  Could you explain the making of the striped hoses.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark! No secret here - old school painting with a brush, that's all!  ;)