How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

I've been working on the Prowler almost every day since the last update, but progress has significantly slowed down as there are many small things to do right now. Landing gear doors have been painted and weathered on the inside (the outside will follow once I have re-stocked with FS 36375), small landing gear parts have been prepared and the landing gear legs fitted permanently.

IMG_0305.jpg

A few wires have been added to the landing gear bays. The landing gear bays are quite empty on Prowlers and Intruders and Trumpeter's bays are rather nicely detailed, so there wasn't that much to do. I could of course have added more, but I didn't want to spend too much time with the landing gear bays. 

IMG_0306.jpg

The forward landing gear doors have been modified, painted, fitted and weathered as well. I've tried to fit one of the ladders as well, but haven't figured out how Trumpeter wants me to fit them - they are too wide to fit inside the ladder bays. I should have tested the fit first...

IMG_0307.jpg

Apart from that, I have assembled and primered the remaining pylons and the outer wing sections; the latter have been filled and sanded several times again (and will have to be sanded again) and equipped with new wing fences as per the inner wing sections. I hope my parcel from Mr Paint arrives soon as I am out of FS 36375 as already mentioned. 

Ben, all I can say is stunning. She's beautiful!! The landing gear is near perfect, and I keep staring at it like I'm pre-flighting her. Seriously good work... I want to open the access panels and check pressures and leaks etc.

When you get to that point, the steps on the ladder and the boarding platform have black non-skid on them.

Peter

Ben, all I can say is stunning. She's beautiful!! The landing gear is near perfect, and I keep staring at it like I'm pre-flighting her. Seriously good work... I want to open the access panels and check pressures and leaks etc...Peter

My thoughts exactly. From the realistic shine of the white paint; to the chipping and staining; to the residual shock strut oil collecting in corners...it just doesn't get any better than this!

Nice to see the project gather momentum as it approaches the finish line.

Go Ben, go!

Edited by allthumbs

Your comments are certainly keeping me motivated - thank you very much! :) 

Thanks for the hint, Peter! My idea was to cut small anti-slip surfaces for the steps and boarding platform from sanding paper and to glue them onto the respective parts. That should give quite a good effect, what do you think? 

In the meantime, there was a lot of masking to do. All that work to paint some pretty small areas...

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

What do you do if you forget to add an exhaust? Drill a hole into a painted and weathered model. I love it! The raised panel was again made from self-adhesive aluminium foil. This photo reminds me that I absolutely need to rework that goddamn dark blue on the fin again.

IMG_0381.jpg

To reward myself, I decided to temporarily fit the outer wing sections. 

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

6 weeks to go until the BSMC show - I really hope to be able to bring a finished model to Putte.