How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

Dooooode...

That is looking epic. I wouldn't fuss to much about the tail (per FB). As a Gauntlet jet, part of the FDNF (Forward Deployed Naval Forces, or WestPac Cowboys), she spent a lot of time at sea. And they almost always parked with the tail over the water. Nobody would ever go back to check on that area and it would get washed every 14-28 days if fresh water was available. Chalk it up,to a well worn fleet bird!

Keep the pics coming, she's beautiful! I'm itching to get back at mine--just have to finish my Kitty Hawk vignette...

Peter

This week, it was time for the first major setback of this build - the Clear cote (Mr Paint Satin Matt) has attacked the dark blue on the tail, probably because the layer I have applied was too thick. I ended up with something looking like this:

IMG_0126.jpg

Some sanding helped to smoothen the catstrophe:

IMG_0129.jpg

In the meantime, I have touched up the blue, destroyed a decal with a Post It used to mask off the area, repaired the decal (I am glad I have had 10 sheets printed...) and sealed it with a thin (!) coat of X-22. This will be sealed again with Mr Paint today - hopefully without cracks this time.

Whilst the varnish was drying, I have started to modify the outer wing pylons. They have received their fairings and the adapter for the ALQ-99 pods. The square hole has been closed after the pic was taken.

IMG_0148.jpg

I have used a scaled photo to check the angle and position of the ALQ-99. In general, this is a very dangerous way to check proportions and positions, but this photo was taken from a big distance with a big focal width (reducing disortion as much as possible) and almost perfectly centered on the pylon and pod.

IMG_0149.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind words, Hercules - I really apreciate it! I draw some of my parts in 3D indeed; I use Inventor Professional which works fine for parts which are not too complicated geometry wise. Most of them are then printed by Shapeways, but sometimes I can use our Form 2 to print some small stuff. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, my friend! :)

Thank you very much Jim, I am glad you like it! 

Thanks a lot, Paul! the cockpit is slowly coming alive - the small stencils add a lot of interest IMO. By the way, oil paints are perfect to paint this kind of stuff.

IMG_8760.jpg

Love your work here!

One question though. How do you paint the small stencils in the cockpit? You mentioned you use oils, but how do you get the straight text lines by the instrument panel switches and knobs?

...probably because the layer I have applied was too thick. I ended up with something looking like this:

IMG_0126.jpg

Would that Mr. Paint be a solvent-based acrylic perhaps? This very much looks like the effect many of those have on water-based acrylics and enamels. 

Erik

Edited by ejk

Love your work here!

One question though. How do you paint the small stencils in the cockpit? You mentioned you use oils, but how do you get the straight text lines by the instrument panel switches and knobs?

No secret here - I just do it with a pointy brush. If necessary, I touch up with black or wipe the white away and redo it.

Would that Mr. Paint be a solvent-based acrylic perhaps? This very much looks like the effect many of those have on water-based acrylics and enamels. 

Erik

It most certainly is solvent based. The coat I have applied probably was too thick, so the solvent could not vent properly and attacked the paint below.