How to destroy an expensive kit with just a few cuts - or: Prowler&#33

Starfighter

Thanks a lot Jim and Anthony! :) There is still a lot of work ahead of me. I have spent most of the evening puttying and sanding the engine bay hatches. I love wotking with Tamiya Putty, but the last tube I've opened is much more liquid and shrinks much more than I am used to. Maybe they have changed the formula? Anyway, this means much more work for me. No pics of this though, they'll follow once the sanding and scribing are finished.

I have also relocated and replaced the inner wing fences. They sit further inward on The EA-6B. I had already decided that I wanted to replace the very thick fences from the kit with thinner parts.To make sure the new fences fit and stick properly, I made a cut at the appropriate location to insert a fixing tab located under the new wing fences.

IMG_9830.jpg

I firs made a new fence with 0,5mm PS but the part literally broke when I looked at it... so I decided to use 0,25mm stainless steel for the fences.

IMG_9831.jpg

Some putty to eliminate any gaps...

IMG_9832.jpg

Everything will be sanded smooth today after work. I am pretty sure the new fences will cut my finger before I manage to break them off. 

Cheers! :)

This is truly marvelous work you're doing on this kit, I wish I'd be able to attempt a scratch building project like this at some point, maybe make that 1/32 Su-34 a reality.....Anyhow, I was curious what you're thinking of for a camouflage scheme for this one...have you thought about the desert scheme in the various shades of brown, or the one with all the different grey?  I'm curious which one you're going with.  Also, I live close to a museum here in Denver that has an EA-6B Prowler on display and I'd be more than happy to provide you with any photos should you need them.

Thank you all for your kind comments, they are more than encouraging - I hope I can keep the momentum.

I am going for the 2000 VAQ-136 CAG bird - decals have already been drawn (by me) and silk printed (in Czech Republic). 

I also have a full custom mask set based on the same artwork which I'll use in combination with the decals in some areas.

Here's the decals:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=57040&p=786015

And the real thing (first pic):

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/phantom3825/e/95c02dbc5743f67ac55d414e71d46700

Hi Ben,

The big Prowler is really starting to take shape now, what with most of the internals finished and the wings attached. I love it!

Good catch on the inner fence relocation. And choosing metal over plastic looks like a smart move...taking notes here for when I reach that point in my build.

Are there any tricks to cutting and shaping stainless steel?

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Thank you very much Rich, it's starting to shape up indeed! :) I am already looking forward to seeing more progress on your conversion - I will definitely get a set once it's available, but I am even more curious to see how yours will look at the end. I am sure it'll be a stunner!

I have used some scissors intended to cut PE parts to cut the stainless steel (is 'metal shear' the right English term?) - it's rather easy, though. The edges can easily be sanded down and smoothed at the end.

As I was getting a bit bored of sanding the belly, I decided to spend the evening adding the walkways. My method is very easy - mask the desired shape, then apply Mr Surfacer by dabbing it on with a hard, soft brush. Another method is to apply Microballs onto wet paint, but as the anti slip surfaces are often simply painted on, they have a very irregular structure which in my opinion is easier to obtain with the Mr Surfacer method.

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

Thanks Andromeda! It's actually not the most difficult conversion, it just needs a significant amount of work. 

Regarding the Viking, I am still messing around with the center wing section. It hasn't been forgotten but I am currently focusing on the Prowler as I'd love to finish it for a model show in December.

It's taking shape - I just had to put it on its feet again.

IMG_9920.jpg

Next was the IP coaming. All you need is a bottle of wine (to get the thick aluminum foil around the bottle neck), some Magic Sculp, self-adhesive copper foil and some PE mesh.

IMG_9942.jpg

Microballs have been applied onto wet paint to give it some texture. The scratchbuilt seat support structures are also visible here.

IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9954.jpg

Here are the support structures again without paint (crappy pic, sorry!).

14232425_1175941832429393_18653079707068

The 'beer can' has been installed as well.

IMG_9919.jpg

Last but not least, here is a look at some of the fellas which are going to populate my diorama. There will be more of them for sure. Quality is really impressive, you have to see it with your own eyes to really appreciate the quality! I will remove the tie down hook from the fella on the right, though - he will be fiddling around in the engine bay instead.

IMG_9940.jpg

Edited by Starfighter