MARU5137

FAIREY GANNET ...the only One in the world that flies.

Guest Clunkmeister

Dean, you mean Uglified, right?

Yes, Ugly can and often DOES mean "interesting", and seriously, I do build lots of British stuff simply because they are interesting.

As for us Canucks, I'm a fine one to talk.

Nobody has ever mistaken the CF-100 for a beauty queen either...

Guest Clunkmeister

Tony,

Oh yeah, the B-18 looked like it was crowning...   The ugliest 9 month pregnant looking thing I've ever seen. Truly gives the Gannett a run for it's money.  Even the name sounds stupid.

yup, the Russians built some stuff that looked sporty, yet functional.

And yes, I'd probavbly go for the rope, but I'd sure have to think about it.  Swimming is yough at the best of times when you have 2 minutes to live. It's even worse when you have the paper bag over your head so your friends don't see you getting in the Wessex...

Sorta like my buddy's old Edsel...

Edited by Clunkmeister

Handley Page Heyford.

Now there is one weird looking aircraft.

It looks like the love-child of a Stuka crossed with a Gotha with a bit of Stirling added.

How it ever left the ground is beyond my comprehension. Especially carrying any bombs, At all.

Guest Clunkmeister

Now that is one seriously ugly airplane. I think I just vomited in my mouth. It reminds me of myself in the mirror ....

It doesn't fly, Dean.

The earth just repels it.

You Brits just do stuff differently, that's all.

Like the Trident jetliner. How to make a 727 ugly: case in point.

BAC.111. How to make a DC-9 ugly, (like a DC-9 really needed any help)

Edited by Clunkmeister

I have to admit the French did try in the 30's to compete with the Brits in the "Ugliest Thing Flying Around", but quickly gave-up ...

The Blackburn company is probably in a class of its own in this respect. But for the Buccaneer (and many would argue about the "brick" as well), none would have been on any list for a beauty contest ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Heyford could be looped and rolled, and would frequently out-fly fighters sent up to intercept it..... You can do amazing things with all that wing area! Ask a Vulcan pilot.

Tim

The Heyford's main defensive armament was laughter.

One sight of the aircraft and attacking fighter pilots doubled up in hysterics and promptly crashed.

You Brits just do stuff differently, that's all.

Like the Trident jetliner. How to make a 727 ugly: case in point.

BAC.111. How to make a DC-9 ugly, (like a DC-9 really needed any help)

You need to read your history books, the 727 was more or less stillborne as the Americans couldn't solve the problems of the convoluted intake ducting for the centre engine, so had more or less abandoned the idea.

An agreement was made between Governments on technology sharing and BAC was ordered to show Boeing all the drawings for the Trident etc which cured the design problems with the 727, at the reciprocal meeting Boeing showed nothing and blatently copied a lot of the Trident design, hence why they look so similar.

Edited by TonyT