1/32nd Spitfire PRXIX conversion

tomprobert

The Spitfire PRXIX is my favourite mark of the breed, and with no kit currently available of this iconic photo-recce version I have decided to convert the original issue Revell 1/32nd scale MkI into the PRXIX using Grey Matter's conversion set.

So, the plan is to use this as the basis for the build...

18874978879_ecef1e44dc_c.jpgS1030026 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

and combine it with these resin parts...

18438628844_8ba713c0bd_c.jpgS1030029 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

19064347811_ed025c97bf_c.jpgS1030033 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

to hopefully make a large-scale version of this Griffon-powered beauty.

I've begun by removing the parts needed from the standard MkI wing and plugging the gaps with plastic card. The oil cooler, radiator and carburetor intake have all been blanked off in preparation for the aftermarket parts. The cartridge-ejector ports are the next items that'll need filling:

19067772166_78bafab724_c.jpgS1030037 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

More updates will come as the build progresses.

Tom

hi

I started my conversion from the Pacific coast MK XIV , I think it's the easiest way , same fuselage except the particular things of the recce version ( of course ) but it's basically the same .Well sorry to mess up , but You choose the "hard way" with a lot of stuffs to   graft , with some forthcoming issues   . but I am not you , and I will follow this WIP with interest .....If ......you are interested or curious by my build , you can find the built thread here  . it's not perfect but you can find some info ......good "luck" if I dare to say , and above....happy modeling 
Alain
Edited by alain11

hi

I started my conversion from the Pacific coast MK XIV , I think it's the easiest way , same fuselage except the particular things of the recce version ( of course ) but it's basically the same .Well sorry to mess up , but You choose the "hard way" with a lot of stuffs to   graft , with some forthcoming issues   . but I am not you , and I will follow this WIP with interest .....If ......you are interested or curious by my build , you can find the built thread here  . it's not perfect but you can find some info ......good "luck" if I dare to say , and above....happy modeling 

Alain

I had forgotten about the Pacific Coast MkXIV, you're right that would be easier. Still, I've started now!

Will look up your build though, thanks.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hello Tom,

Just dropped by to see how you were doing ... :please:

any progress updates... :popcorn:

I've got as far as scratch-building the undercarriage bays, but that's it I'm afraid. 

I've got lots of other builds on the go, and have been working on getting a few completed before going any further with this project. It's not forgotten though, and at some point in the not-too-distant future I'll get cracking again  :)

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget one more Greymatter part - GMAA3226 Lower fuselage centre section - this part gives this kit the "gull wing" shape at the rear of the wing/fuselage join rather than the highly inaccurate flat area on the kit parts.

Thanks for the info on this Doug - I'm planning on doing a lot of work on the wing anyway so will rely on my own fair hand for this one  :)

I've dragged this project back onto the bench this week, and have made some good progress with the conversion of the Spit MkI into a PRXIX.

I've been concentrating most of my efforts on the fuselage, as there's quite a bit needed to bring it up to the PRXIX standard.

The original kit lacks any sort of decent interior detail, and what was there was sanded away and the sidewalls and floors have been replaced with a resin set from Aires. I think it's actually for the Hasegawa MkV, but with a bit of modification and creative thinking the main cockpit area is a close enough resemblance to the later mark, and when compared to the Airfix 1/48th cockpit is certainly passable.

The rear of the cockpit is totally different on the PRXIX, and being pressurised I have had to make numerous modifications. There is a rear pressure bulkhead at the rear of the cockpit, along with a shelf where the oxygen system is mounted (yet to be made and added), and behind that is the camera bay. This has had the rear bulkhead made, as well as the internal structure added and the framework for the cameras themselves, which was all made from Evergreen strip. Camera ports have been added to the lower fuselage, and the access doors opened up:

20324746184_4815f029b5_c.jpgS1030097 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20324745384_ac0e146853_c.jpgS1030103 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The nose has been roughly sliced off at this stage in preparation for the new resin nose and Griffon engine:

20760576659_41ef0236a0_c.jpgS1030086 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20937569122_f381724c5b_c.jpgS1030084 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Work has continued on the wing, with the gear bays being scratch built, the shell casing ejector ports filled and the radiator and oil cooling housings blanked off and sanded flush. The whole wing has been sanded extensively to remove panel detail in preparation for my own details to be added:

20760576099_998fdfd21d_c.jpgS1030089 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20954744321_9d9c72c8f5_c.jpgS1030096 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And with a dry fit of the Griffon, the graceful lines of the PRXIX become apparent:

20937570222_79df758368_c.jpgS1030082 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

20759378198_08b3ccc5c9_c.jpgS1030078 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now, if momentum stays with me I think I'll have a bash at the tail.

Until next time,

Tom

Wow this is a bit epic, I remember building the same kit years ago and it was good but pretty dated, so the thought of converting it to an PR XIX is pretty mind blowing, will be watching with interest.

Cheers

Dennis

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while but there's a little more progress to update you on...

I've got the interior finished off with some paint and etch belts etc, as well as some "let's raid the spares box and see what we can find to represent some cameras" type scratchbuilding in the rear fuselage. Forgive the horrible lighting in the picture below - it was dark and wet outside when I took this so stayed indoors instead!

21571098938_188db76447_c.jpgS1030107 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

With the fuselage halves joined I then added the nose section, removed the kit's original Mk1 tail fin and inserted the Grey Matter resin replacement, then made the joins good. The parts needed a quick lick of filler, but on the whole fitted really well to the Revell donor kit.

The wings have finished their modifications (note the filled in and primed gun bay covers) and have also been joined to the fuselage, again with the joins made good:

21768357841_aabb39e3d2_c.jpgS1030113 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21137932893_a394628d5d_c.jpgS1030117 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21570962930_e5c6fcdb2a_c.jpgS1030119 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21136235944_6dde048d86_c.jpgS1030122 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

21747300402_fcba8b7b32_c.jpgS1030124 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The next task will be to add the stabilisers before embarking on the radiators etc. I'm having a lot of fun with this!

Tom