otis252

A-10C Conversion/Correction Set?

Hey Gary, I know this is stepping outside the lines but how about this? A corrected forward fuselage or just the nose from the canopy forward fixing the to bulged sides. That plus the new IP and antenna's for the A-10C might just work out. Lot of us have had the kit in the stash just waiting for a fix. Your thoughts?

Chuck

Hey Guys,  GREAT SUGGESTION!!!!!!

No 2 seater in the works.    The one seater A-10C will be out in the late fall with a  Full cockpit, all of the exterior dudas and sensors, antennas, etc,   and a complete engine set.    The engine set will have the intake section and the Exhaust section.  I also may do the wheel wells, wheels and tires.   As mentioned it will be a late fall release and will be part of a joint release with a new design A-10C decal set comprising of several squadrons.   May Be DM?

Post any other A-10 items you want included  and I will see what I a can do.

Gary

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Fantastic for sure.

Peter

Great news Gary! If any way possible please include a new nose from the windscreen forward and the new "vents" on the port side. Really looking forward to this one. You are really doing a great job bringing much need sets to production!

Chuck

Gary, if you do create the cockpit then I have a suggestion...please leave the side walls off from the pit. Don't do what cutting edge did because it made things difficult during painting. Good luck.

Gary, if you do create the cockpit then I have a suggestion...please leave the side walls off from the pit. Don't do what cutting edge did because it made things difficult during painting. Good luck.

Great suggestion Mike, and yes we will do that.   I don’t know why CE did the cockpit that way, maybe for the vent tubes?    Anyhow they will be separate.   I also thought about putting weight into the tub behind the seat in that dead area to make the jet balance.   Does anyone know how much weight is needed?   IT may be to much to do with shipping as expensive as it is.   

"the weight in the nose..." Oh boy, very hard to figure out, it depend,

originally they suggested to put 80gr in the ammunition drum and was barelly balanced...

Did some dry fitting back then with a CAM pit and balance wasn't that bad but end up back in the stash,

quality was not that good and CE pit was an arm and a leg....lol.

So if your pit balance your intake / exhaust....

My two cent..

Dan.

Edited by Daniel Leduc

Gary-

An update set would really revitalize interest in this early Trumpeter kit.  I think alot of folks are somewhat intimidated by its shortcomings and have shied away from it.  I have an A-10B project going, and have had a chance to learn about (and try to tackle) many of these shortcomings, many of which also apply to the single seat A-10C.  Here's my wish list-

Must haves

1.  Cockpit

2.  Nose and nose landing gear bay

3.  Canopy and windscreen

4.  Main landing gear sponsons (these are actually really poorly done in the kit)

Easy drop-in upgrades

1.  Replacement scoops of sides of the fuselage

2.  Replacement fuselage strakes

3.  Replacement ECS tunnel (between the engine nacelles)

4.  Wheels (the kit wheels are pretty bad)

Nice to haves

1.  Replacement ailerons (closed might be limiting to some builders, but still better than the kit)

2.  Replacement elevators

As for nose weight (my perspective from the 2 seat A-10 kit), if the weight is behind the seat, probably 3 ounces is needed.  If the weight is all located in the space in front and above the nose landing gear bay, 2.25 ounces worked for me.

I know in it's entirety, it's quite a list.  But wow, a set like this would really change the game for all those A-10 builders out there.  

Also, as you probably already know, Thierry did a wonderful tweak list that I found most helpful.

Just my 2 cents.

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input.    I am going to do as much as I can to fix the kit.   the one partting that is out is the canopy.....sorry, at least a resin one for now, especially when VAC canopies are $7 from Squadron..   Other than that all is open for consideration.   This is why I wanted a forum here to get input......very much appreciated and keep the suggestions coming.

Edited by ghatherly

I have a set of DM decals for my 1/32 hog, and it took me almost a year of patiently waiting for a pair to pop on ebay. I forget who made them, but if you'd like the name I can dig them out of the stash pile. My career existed right along with the A-10 since 1978-95.  I've always loved them.  My first tour at an actual air force base, we had OV-10, A-10 and CH-53s all on base, and just as I was leaving the EC-130H showed up. My arrival here at DM in 91 closed the circle on my career.  I got to fly in the 130 and listen to the sweet sound of the A-10s and then with the Bone Yard being just across the ramp, I got to see and hear a host of others over the years and to this day. You never know what's going to show up overhead at my house. I'm only about 2 miles from the runway. Coming home a week ago, I was almost at the end of the runway as a flight of Seymour Johnson F-15Es were circling for a landing and one went right over top of me.  Ok...I'm running at the mouth...er keyboard.

Thanks

Rick