Apollo 16 Trans-Earth EVA Diorama project

TimW

I have been in the modeling doldrums of late, as someone else on the board put it so well.   I've got my Skyraider that I'm striving to complete for the Korean War group build; I've been working on the Felixstowe...yet I just seemed to be lacking a real focus/interest in those projects, as much fun as they are.

I've always been a bit of a space nut...and over time I've accumulated a number of items and increasingly this project has been building in my mind.  I picked up the re-issue of the Monogram 1/32 Command Module a few years back, and since then have acquired a bunch of photo-etch and resin, from CultManTV's website as well as directly from the New Ware guy in the Czech Republic.

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Rocket-Hero-Apollo-Spacecraft/dp/B0024FA8FQ

If you are into space exploration/sci-fi at all, this website is outstanding.  He also carries the New Ware stuff.

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Space-Exploration_c_19.html

I chose Apollo 16 for this idea...why?  Well, for one the later "J Block" Apollo missions are interesting because of their extended length and the use of the SIM Bay, which required somebody to go EVA and retrieve film canisters on the way back to earth.   See photo:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missions/apollo/apollo_16/images/mapping1_lg.jpg

The crew composition is also of interesting, being astronauts Ken Mattingly, John Young and Charlie Duke.  I got to meet John Young in the early 80s when he came through El Paso for a Space Shuttle PR thing, along with astronaut Robert Crippen.  Also, my mother in law was in the same High School class with Young for a time.  Interesting character.   And, of course, Ken Mattingly, wo did not get the measles.

For astronaut figures, there are some really nice ones out there, and I'll be using this set.   The guy who makes them is very approachable.  We worked a deal so he could include a 3d figure of a seated CM pilot so I'm on my way!

https://spacehelmetmodels.wordpress.com/apollo-astronauts-trans-earth-e-v-a-scene-132-ref-shm002/

On top of that, I plan to rig the cabin with LED lights...my megalomania is showing.  Anyway.  Stay tuned....This is in preliminary stages and once I have something to show, pix will be posted!

Tim W.

Finally got the last bit of PE I needed in the post yesterday.  Made some progress on the CM interior, but need to paint details now and add some decaling from the placards and stencils stash.

In space, nobody can hear you scream when you drop a small piece of photo etch...

Tim W.

• 3 years later...

So, this has been a very long, drawn out project with lots of fits and starts.   But believe it or not, I'm still moving along.   I'm currently working on the SIM Bay, and sad to say the resin was a bit rough with some bubbles, but it's cleaning up.   Cut off most of the resin molded cables--they didn't look that good--and replaced them with some brass wire.  Pics to come on that effort!

In the meantime, I got the CM done--not completely.   John Young is on board while Mattingly and Duke will be EVA'ing to retrieve film canisters.

The CM is lit by LED lights, which will run through the heat shield, into the CSM, and the display stand (probably brass tubing) as the battery, lights, base, etc will take up some space.  I also shudder at the prospect of adding adhesive foil to the CM to replicate the mylar strips...but I have to try.

So here it is, for now.

TW

bkn4twa.jpg

NC85Wmf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress.  Resin and PE stuff has been added to the CSM.  The hole is for the SIM Bay, which will be fitted eventually.  Also a shot of the back end of the CSM.  I still have quite a bit to do here, but it's coming along.   First time I've used foil in a long time.

fdsYqMR.jpg

x4jzp7N.jpg