Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

super sharp camo John, looks cleeaaannn as well. Looking forward to seeing this finished, I get the feeling it'll probably be the same day Tanmodel release theirs! Ahahah :D

Thanks, Breaker

I better get this thing done before the Tanmodel kit shows...otherwise it'll get stuck on the shelf, probably permanently!  I'm taking a few unplanned shortcuts with this build. The main gear and the antennas on the top rear of the vertical stabs are going to remain as-is, for example.  I really just want to get it done. 

Nice, I like it! Su 33's look really cool with the canards and dual nose wheel.

Much appreciated, Maxim.

I agree with you; those two aspects of this jet are exactly what drew me to it. Before I started the build, those two modifications scared me the most...even though they turned out to be among the easier parts of the whole process!

Wow, SUPER cool paint job!   Ive always loved the Sea-Flanker.   If the DO come out with the IM one they are supposedly working on Ill build another, all folded up!

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your stopping by. Yup, if that Tanmodel kit shows I'm for sure building one folded up...and probably another in 

the older paint job.

Very inspiring work and great painting so far JP!

It's honestly been a wonderful modelling journey so far!  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it finished! 

Thanks very much, spyrosjzmichos!  

There's one more major hurdle before the NMF parts/final assembly/weathering...getting the windscreen and canopy to play nice with my mish mash of parts that make up the front fuselage. I'm working that now.  If I can get by that, the rest should go comparatively quickly. 

Time to get serious about this canopy and windscreen...cannot put it off any longer, sigh. 

This is where I'm at. I have my vac-formed windscreen sitting on my resin copy of the front upper fuselage of the Trumeter Su-30 kit, with a resin copy of the IRST from the same kit. And oh yeah, the dash courtesy of Aires, via my spares bin. (Not sure how I ended up with some leftover Aires cockpit parts....I'm pretty certain I started this ride with an Avionix resin cockpit...but who knows, it's been a long time.) These parts are not attached yet, just put in place for planning purposes. 

And FYI, that hair in front of the windscreen is just a visitor. 

Wow, these closeups are harsh....more riveting and scribing to do. Maybe. And I also, for the fourth time, have to repair the fuselage right under the windscreen; it keeps breaking loose. One more casualty of my clumsiness. 

7LaqrW.jpg

LARcqX.jpg

I'm using the stock canopy, which doesn't match up with my vac windscreen. Thus, I'm going canopy open where it's not really noticeable. At the start of all this, I intended to use the Zacto windscreen and canopy, but couldn't come up with a way to make the windscreen work with the offset IRST. At least no way with a reasonable chance of NOT screwing up one his gems. So, even though the Zacto canopy detail is much better than the Aires, I'm going with another stray (broken) Aires part with the kit canopy. I did add a bit of styrene to the front edge of the canopy, and I'll fair in the ends as soon as the glue sets up. I added some rivets to the Aires canopy part which are not at all visible...ah well. I think if I try to make them more prominent I have a pretty good chance of wrecking things, so they will remain as-is.

XvKl8W.jpg

The resin part is not yet glued to the canopy.

xUhBkw.jpg

I'll add the resin bow to the edge of the windscreen.

WHsRiC.jpg

I realized these are not pics of much progress, but more of what I intend to do. I think it's my way of ensuring I don't back out!  (I have a Wolfpack resin Su-30 conversion set, and I have considered sawing off my nose and using it instead...but that may just turn a mash-up into a hatchet job.) 

As always, thanks for stopping by.

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 1 month later...

Not much progress for the amount of work put into this, but there is some. I originally was going to use a resin copy of the IRST from the Trumpeter Su-30 kit, but that just didn't look right. I cast a copy of the IRST from the Wolfpack Su-30 upgrade set and it looks much better. Still not 100% accurate but much better than the first attempt. The windscreen is not yet glued down, and it does require a bit more work to get fit better, but it's getting close. A big hurdle yet is now I have to blend in the right side fuselage/IRST area.

BGCSvl.jpg

DD7Jtf.jpg

Once again, thanks for stopping by.

jp

• 2 months later...

Wow, it's been three months. I've been able to get a few small things done...just not a lot of time to fool with this. Here's a catch-all, haphazard, poor-quality pic to show where I'm at. I've taken care of the A-A refueling probe and cover, basically finished the burner cans, got started on the beeee-u-tiful Zacto missiles, finished the wingfolds, and started the BMF areas at the tail. I also have nearly finished the windscreen and IRST...man, what a giant pain that turned out to be. It will not be 100% accurate, but nothing on this build is. It will be close, though. My three-year-old daughter's Testor's Banshee snuck in there....I gotta tell you, I have more fun helping her with that than messing with my builds. No worrying about seams, scuffed clear parts, perfect paint jobs....and still there's that sense of accomplishment. She can't wait to hang it from her bedroom ceiling. Her seven-year-old sister wants to build one now.

1mZLrR.jpg

Anyhow, hope the new year gives you all what you hope for,

jp

She comes together beautiful :speak_cool:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Thank you, dutik, I appreicate your stopping by. 

It's looking good so far! I'm enjoying your progress.

Very kind of you, themongoose. I hope to report more progress soon!

Now that's a lot of hard work, the result is beautiful!

Marcel

Thanks a lot, Marcell111. Your work is very inspiring to me.