Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

I've been slowly making progress on the canard shoulders. I started with plastic card and Milliput and then shape/sand/repeat. They are not exactly accurate. They should be a bit deeper, but they're close enough. I've got a coat of  primer on them, but still have a few blemishes to fill before the panel lines are scribed.

20151020_160000_resized_zps2pddw3yl.jpg

Soon I'll be attempting the modified tail stinger. I'm still not entirely sure how I'll tackle that...both the stinger itself and the boat tail are pretty different than the regular Su-27. I'm still waiting for that cartoon lightbulb to appear!

Thanks for stopping by

jp

Hi J-P ,

Great work on this Su-33 ! The most difficult is back now !

I follow you !

Jean-luc

Great stuff, keep it up.

Thanks much, guys. I appreciate your interest. Progress is very slow, but fairly steady.

jp

• 3 weeks later...

I've really been avoiding the mods to the tail/stinger. Everything else I think I've got a workable plan for. So I'll just keep kicking that particular can down the road and wait for inspiration.

As part of that, I've more or less finished the tailhook. I've yet to fashion the non-hook end, as I have to work the attachment point on the model. It needs a flat coat, and I may weather it a bit more, we'll see. I sawed off the hook portion itself from the tailhook of a Revell F-14. With a few modifications, it comes quite close to that of an Su-33. I then pinned and glued it to some square tubing. I know the stenciling is not accurate, but I did not have the exact wording needed in my spare decals stash. For all I know they translate to 'potato', 'lightbulb'. and 'elbow'. You have to be within a couple inches of it to read it anyway. I think it looks better than if they weren't there at all.

20151109_160103_resized_zpspk6gcj5v.jpg

20151109_213243_resized_zpsrbjpdeve.jpg

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

I think I got it....My two choices regarding modifying the tail/stinger were either reworking the beautiful Zacto piece, or hacking apart the kit pieces and making that work. I decided to go the Zacto route.  I went from this:

20151107_135833_resized_zpsmyvw9rk1.jpg

To this:

20151109_155209_resized_zpslaj2ovf7.jpg

I have some filling and shaping yet to do, but I think doing it this way gives me the best chance of pulling this off. I've also got to fill in panel lines and remove the hinge from the stinger, but this shows the general shape I'm going for.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

Thanks Tom, blackbetty. Whether or not I could figure out the rear end of the model was I think the only possible showstopper. When I started this I didn't realize just HOW different the rear fuselage is compared to an Su-27. My solution is not a perfect one, but will be close, I think. Think, hope...!

jp

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on the rear fuselage/stinger area...didn't some general once say something to the effect "No plan survives contact with the enemy"? My plan is not dead yet...but I may be reviewing that DNR order. I think the general goals I am hoping to achieve are sound, but the route to them is bumpy at best.

Here's what I'm hoping for, both pictures courtesy of Ken Duffey:

tailboom_02_zpsi6ulrhpc.jpg

tailboom_04_zpss3okfqp5.jpg

Here's where I am at:

rearfuse1_zps9k7akspa.png

rearfuse2_zps10dczf4j.png

20151127_211851_resized_zpspcrbsdvl.jpg

The parts are just taped in place right now. I need to finish the nacelles before attaching the other parts. There's still a lot of shaping and filling to do...and that's where I think I may be in trouble.  The panel and rivet detail that was once present on the Zacto parts is gone as I did a lot of reshaping and reprofiling. I'm not sure how I should proceed. Should I assemble the 3 stinger/boattail parts, then scribe/rivet them, then attach the whole shebang to the fuselage?  Or should I attach the left and right boattail pieces to the fuselage, then scribe/detail, then attach the stinger?  Either way I go I can forsee difficulties. Detailing once everything is assembled will be difficult, as among other things, I don't see now I'd get my templates in place to scribe the oval hatch covers and some of the other panel lines. Even if this detailing is done before final assembly, some of those details will be lost when the new stinger/boattail is attached to the fuselage and will have to be done again.

If anybody has ever run into a similar dilemma and has come up with a good way to tackle it, I'm all ears.

And yes, one of the intakes is temporarily missing....epoxy and CA are no match for my ham-handedness.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd post an update of the stinger/tail, even though it's not quite done. I've got a bit of sanding yet to do, but the general shape is there.

I debated the pros and cons of scribing the panel lines and rivets before the assembly, puttying, and sanding. I decided to go for it, as it will be so much easier to do beforehand. The downside is I'm sure some of the detail will be lost in the shaping and sanding phase, but I will try to keep it to a minimum, and hope that I can restore what is lost. The panel lines and rivets I added to the sides of the boattail are somewhat simplified, but I think they turned out OK.

20151207_141252_resized_zpshjnoxils.jpg

Here's where things are after a few rounds of epoxy, Milliput, and putty.

20151223_151925_resized_zpsqgn0njug.jpg

20151223_152004_resized_zpswewxfhqp.jpg

20151223_152016_resized_zps5g16btke.jpg

20151223_160119_resized_zpsa8wirqdg.jpg

20151223_160049_resized_zpsevcefaax.jpg

Still a fair bit to do, but the hard part is over.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp