Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

On 2/16/2019 at 12:42 AM, Dukie99 said:

Congratulations! It is honestly a stunning build. My own builds are never error free, I tend to make small mistakes in my enthousiasm to get things done but once I put the finished model in the display cabinet I tend to forget about these and all is left in my mind is a nice looking model and the good memories of building it. Now that you have finished it, let's hope that Tan model finally releases their long-awaited Sea Flanker.

What will be your next project on the bench? Another Russian subject?

Cheers,

David

Thank you David, that's much appreciated. This one sits on the very bottom of the display case, so the underside of the model will never be seen...let's just say I took advantage of that! I also hope the Tan kit shows up. I want one wings folded. 

As far as a next project...I have about 10 or so unfinished builds from the last decade or so. I really should finish one of them. I have an F-14 Adversary that's about 90% done. But on the other hand I really dig those big Flankers. I've actually started researching an Su-30SM made from the Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit. I think I can pull it off, and it should be a much easier conversion than this thing was. I think modifying the vertical stabs won't be a big deal, and I have kind of a plan for the vectoring nozzles. The canards won't be hard either...at least they shouldn't be...I really don't totally remember what I did, but I remember it was much easier than I feared. And this time I think I'd use the nose piece from the Wolfpack Su-30 conversion kit...the IRST/windscreen mess on the Su-33 build was way too much work and did not turn out great. I just have to do something about that squished windscreen on  the Flanker kits. Or maybe I'll do an F-15 Aggressor...or an F/A-18 Adversary...I've got time to think about it while I clean up the clutter from this project. It's kind of looking like a US Adversary/Aggressor, or a Russian jet painted to look like a US Adversary/Aggressor. ;)

Regards,

jp

On 2/16/2019 at 1:17 AM, Marcel111 said:

Congrats on finishing this one of a kind model! The result looks very impressive, well done!

Marcel

Thanks so much, Marcel, I appreciate it! I find your builds inspiring and motivating...that came in handy with this project.

Regards,

jp

On 2/16/2019 at 1:17 AM, Marcel111 said:

On 2/16/2019 at 2:21 AM, Fvdm said:

I think it looks real nice. A very impressive model.

Thanks for checking it out, Fvdm. I'm thankful for your kind words.

Cheers,

jp

On 2/16/2019 at 5:04 AM, ROM said:

Well done!

Great job for a very unique model ;)

Thank you ROM! One of the builds that inspired me to build my first Flanker was yours from a decade or more ago.

Cheers,

jp

On 2/16/2019 at 6:48 AM, The Madhatter said:

That looks fantastic John! Im most impressed that you stuck with it and finished it. Everyone is their own worst critic, including myself,  but from where I sit, I can't see anything wrong with it. 

Its been awesome watching you bring this build to life. Thanks so much for keeping going and posting the updates. 

Si

Hi Si, thanks very much for that. Overall I'm happy with it; it just took very much longer than I'd hoped, and enthusiasm for it waned. (Sort of) keeping up with this build thread did help, though. 

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

19 hours ago, TorbenD said:

Very fine looking beast you have there!

Torben

Thanks, Torben. Beastly, for sure...but though I'm running out of space for them, I dig the big models.

Cheers,

jp