Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

On 12/31/2018 at 1:33 AM, LSP_Ray said:

That blues scheme looks great!

Thanks very much, Ray. I'm already thinking of an Su-30 in the overall eggplant/dark gray scheme for my next endless build. Though in some ways, those single-color finishes can be more work. 

On 12/31/2018 at 1:57 AM, Gerhard said:

Stunning!! 

Thanks for stopping by Gerhard, I appreciate it. 

jp

• 4 weeks later...

Getting there...it's more or less up on its legs...still have a few little parts to add to the gear, and I also need to adjust the height of the mains a bit, I think. Then paint the refueling probe cover, add the canopy, and the antennas and other doo-dads, stick on the burner cans, missiles, and probably other stuff. I just may break the four-year barrier with this thing.  

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

vTqpDz.jpg

7 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Tan won't be anytime soon according to the owner I'm afraid!

Bummer. I was hoping with the nice CAD they showed all that time ago, that by now we might actually have Sea Flanker, but alas no.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

…..and done.

Well not technically. I do have to finish the antennas and doo-dads at the top rear of the vertical stabs. One of these days. 

There will be no up close glamor shots.  It’s definitely a six-footer.  I initially hoped to make this a much more accurate Su-33, but after year three passed, accuracy left town with good workmanship. I thought about listing all the inaccuracies, errors of omission, and areas of substandard workmanship, but what’s the fun in that? There is only one thing that really bugs me about it- the nose gear is at a bit of a weird angle.

I did learn a few things. I’ve never attempted a project even approaching this complexity before. Some parts were easier than I thought they would be, others were much harder. I also learned that I like finishing models more than I like building models. But most importantly, I have a 1/32 Su-33.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

7WMc2l.jpg

NBrGIb.jpg

q8H6Zr.jpg

Congratulations! It is honestly a stunning build. My own builds are never error free, I tend to make small mistakes in my enthousiasm to get things done but once I put the finished model in the display cabinet I tend to forget about these and all is left in my mind is a nice looking model and the good memories of building it. Now that you have finished it, let's hope that Tan model finally releases their long-awaited Sea Flanker.

What will be your next project on the bench? Another Russian subject?

Cheers,

David

That looks fantastic John! Im most impressed that you stuck with it and finished it. Everyone is their own worst critic, including myself,  but from where I sit, I can't see anything wrong with it. 

Its been awesome watching you bring this build to life. Thanks so much for keeping going and posting the updates. 

Si