A Corsair for Bob

David Hansen

David, if I feel up to it, I might get pics posted of the fishtail flame dampers and scope I recieved from Harold. Took a quick look tonight and look great.......Harv

Harv, i got the scope and it looks better than the one i used. You may have newer dampers than i do. In the 11th hour, i passed along some pics i had. Harold hadn't seen em, so the stacks i presume are going thru one more iteration.

Yes, Harold's parts are nicer than "Brand L". He sent me some resin RadAlt antennas, but it was just to check feasibility. The OWL brass ones are better.

-d-

And now, some photos. We are very, very close to being done.

F4U-2-025_zpsmiendlpy.jpg

Port beam shot, showing how the Semigloss Sea Blue was painted over the intermediate blue and extended down almost to the white. I can see why people thought the sides were painted black.

F4U-2-036_zpsxwigtbii.jpg

This shot approximates the angle from which the subject aircraft was photographed aboard INTREPID. Note the large amount of worn away paint. If i were do this model again, i would try again at simulating the area by wearing away paint. I chickened out after i tried this the first time.

F4U-2-030_zpsewrtivcd.jpg

The tape on the rudder is used to hold the antenna wire hook and tensioner in place before i rig the antenna. Without it, the rig is on a one way trip to the Carpet Monster. The Radar Altimeter antennas are from OWL and are photoetched brass. Very delicate.

F4U-2-039_zpscmkmgggh.jpg

In this shot you can see the flame dampening exhaust stacks, which i am less than thrilled with. Also visible is the IFF Transponder antenna.

F4U-2-040_zpsa0ghmrgt.jpg

The "Tape" over the gun muzzles was done by filling the hole with Elmers glue and laying overlapping pieces of white decal over the hole. This was followed by carpet bombing the whole lot with micro set and Micro sol.

Comments and questions welcome.

-d-

I like it Dave ! But what don't you like about the exhaust " Are they Harolds ?......Harv :popcorn:

Oh heavens no these are NOT Harold's exhausts. these are the Lone Star Models ones. About 35% too big, and pretty crude.

Harold is doing the heavy lifting but i'm riding shotgun to ensure his F4U-2 conversion is the one to turn to.

-d-

Oh heavens no these are NOT Harold's exhausts. these are the Lone Star Models ones. About 35% too big, and pretty crude.

Harold is doing the heavy lifting but i'm riding shotgun to ensure his F4U-2 conversion is the one to turn to.

-d-

Did you see my post on Harolds sets for the -2 David ? Posted earlier.......Harv

It may sound cliche, but I think, once again you have out done yourself. I really envy Bob, I hope he still has a good long time to enjoy this model.

Good to see you got the armor plate on the canopy. I totally agree that the best way to portray worn paint is to literally wear it off. Several different techniques for this, will definitely take some practice to become proficient at one or more of them.

Allan

:fight: What better way to improve our skills than to have friends looking over our virtual shoulder... :blah: offering sage advice. Sorry if I caused

you any angst :BANGHEAD2:  but isn't that the whole point of sharing our progress so we can fine tune the details and hone our skills :deadhorse:

Allan out... of ammo :DodgeBall:

:fight: What better way to improve our skills than to have friends looking over our virtual shoulder... :blah: offering sage advice. Sorry if I caused

you any angst :BANGHEAD2:  but isn't that the whole point of sharing our progress so we can fine tune the details and hone our skills :deadhorse:

Allan out... of ammo :DodgeBall:

No... no angst at all. It was an easy fix and it didn't really derail any kind of strict timetable anyway....

-d-

Work continues on the carrier deck. The segments have been glued together, and the deck is being primed in preparation for cutting and painting.

I am encountering a problem with warping. The instructions are very clear to not use water-based acrylic finishes. I am using a spray bomb of DEFT Poyurethane clear varnish as a primer. I was unable to find a Krylon-brand pre-catalyzed lacquer in a can. This seemed at the time to be a good substitute.

The warpage seems to be mitigated as long as you prime both sides of the deck, so I think i can overcome the warpage problem. However, for anyone who wants to follow in my footsteps.... don't do what i did.

More updates to come as construction progresses.....

-d-