1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

A bit inaccurate is an understatement it has to be trumpeter's worst. But as it's the only game in town you have to get on with it. I'm watching this build with enthusiasm as I always do when a big lightning is being built. Hopefully I'll get some tips.

Happy building.

Dave

Having had both kits, I personally would say their Mig-15 is their worst kit. Although the big Lightning is inaccurate in many places, the Mig is also very inaccurate in many places, but the fit (or lack there of) on the Mig IMHO pushes it over the top.

The advantage I have is NO-one in 500 miles knows what a EE Lightning is until I tell them.

I don't rivet count and as long as the shape in in the ball-park I'm good.

I have decided I'm to old to start worrying about all that now'

The only build problem I had was the nose ring to intake trunk and fixed it with a couple strategically

place pieces of card.  MIG-15 is BAAAADD! but it is OOB in my collection and people can tell it's a 15,

Ernie, the Lightning would blow by a Gotha so fast , it would fold-up and probably get torched by the arterburner

Love It Derek

Guest Clunkmeister

That Lightning does look bada$$. We just never did see them over here. EE wanted to sell them to the RCAF, but they wanted either the F-105 Thunderchief or the F-101B Voodoo.

They got the Voodoo.

That Lightning does look bada$$. We just never did see them over here. EE wanted to sell them to the RCAF, but they wanted either the F-105 Thunderchief or the F-101B Voodoo.

They got the Voodoo.

Jack, Ernie,

The lightning is indeed one awesome chunk of aircraft with an acceleration and climb performance that is only matched by an F-15 Eagle.

FF_74Q8181_zpsthpw7nqt.jpg

This is an image of our last fast taxy run during the Cold War Jets open day at Bruntingthorpe airfield, UK on the 24 May 2015. The aircraft is slowing having streamed the braking parachute that I had previously packed and installed onto the aircraft (I also recovered the brake chute and repacked it on the same day, which itself is not a straight forward job). Photo credit: Neil Hutchinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfbzhQEJMQ

Derek

They should get that thing back in the air where it belongs.....

Awesome picture Derek!

Cheers

Fred

Don't we all Fred. Unfortunately, in the UK at least, that will never happen because the CAA will never allow it.

Derek

Hi Derek,

the diminutive Jindivik had a rate of climb that an F16 (both single engined) found hard to match and it only had a RR Viper engine. Plenty by were sent to the bottom of Cardigan Bay  by Lightnings operating from R.A.F. Valley during MPC live firings (they couldn't outrun a red top).

Great build so far.

Bob.

She's such a beautiful machine i'm glad i've been one of the privileged few that's seen her fly, we had two of these and two buccaneers beat up our base on an exercise one year was bloody fantastic just wish i could see her fly one more time.  :D  

Clive

Why does the CAA have no sense of humor and allow the Lightning to fly?

Love the yt video.....you with the right wheel chock?

Jack

Hi Jack,

The CAA class the EE Lightning as a complex aircraft. The aircraft also had a far from sparkling safety record whilst in service use, so I guess that the thought of having potentially dangerous complex supersonic fighter aircraft in private hands puts the willies up them somewhat!

Yes, that is me on the right wheel chock :)

Derek

Edited by Derek B

And airspace is a *lot* more crowded/complex over here than in most of the US and places like South Africa!  :frantic:

Iain

That is vey true Iain, but modern navigational aids would sort that out. However, given the high SFC rate of the Lightning, even if used carefully, you wouldn't exactly want to be responsible for putting one of these 'fuel priority' aircraft in a civil holding pattern for very long!

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Nice one Derek :thumbsup:  - love the lighting - and that Vid brings back memories of my Dad taking me as a wide eyed kid to air shows watching in awe as the lightning did it's party piece of sitting on its tail, hitting the after burners and disappearing into the clouds. Oh happy days!

Taff :D

PS would love to see one zipping about again……… finger crossed

Thanks Taff - Good memories indeed.

Busy filling, sanding and painting the seat at the moment. Curiosity made me wonder what a Lightning cockpit would look like in a 1/32 Saab J 29 Tunnan (not that I would advocate putting such a cockpit in one of course!):

100_7277_zpshfuzmjd8.jpg

100_7278_zpsf5fdjhma.jpg

100_7279_zpsop4zwdal.jpg

100_7280_zpsrlz1zyms.jpg

The seat has now been filled and sanded and the colours selected to paint it. The instrument panel has also been painted behind the dials and assembled:

100_7269_zpshpgegaji.jpg

100_7270_zpslrr8krwd.jpg

Revell 383 was the closest match I could find to the original seat cushion colour (which is why I matched it to a non-worn part on the underside of the seat cushion).

Derek

Curiosity made me wonder what a Lightning cockpit would look like in a 1/32 Saab J 29 Tunnan (not that I would advocate putting such a cockpit in one of course!):

100_7277_zpshfuzmjd8.jpg

You're such a tease, Derek!

Kev