1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

15 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

That's a feature I can't ever remember seeing modelled before.

Fabulous attention to detail. :bow:

This is an area I know well, as I used to pack the Lightning brake parachutes in the RAF at Binbrook during the late 70's, and more lately, also for the two Lightning aircraft at Bruntingthorpe airfield which belong to the EE Lightning Preservation Group (LPG). Another job I did occasionally at the LPG is also install them (as can be seen in the page images).

JHPOGsx.jpg

YCOuiyz.jpg

WXtuQAN.jpg

FWHYmIx.jpg

MdQ8sJr.jpg

thsIwKg.jpg

Derek

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

As you know I have been following along on FB, but after seeing it on my big PC screen, I am even more impressed!  Absolutely stunning, you sir are a master and I am blown away by what you are doing! Wow

Hi Anthony,

High praise (and accolades) indeed from someone like you! - thank you. Like you, I try to push the limits of (in my case, meagre) modelling skills, but there are many other modellers on this site (including yourself) who far exceed my abilities!

I have not posted any updates of late, but I have not been idle. I am doing battle with detailing the ventral tank before I can move on to complete the detail work on the remaining areas of the fuselage, so hopefully my next update will show some recognisable progress (as you know, riveting and making new panels is never ending and very much 'one step forward, and at least two back!).

Cheers

Derek

Still WIP, but you get the general idea of the ongoing arrester hook improvements (even just adding the spring blade to the standard kit parts alone would massively improve the appearance). The standard kit hook is on the right, and my modified version on the left. My scratch built blade is made from 0.8 mm ABS plastic sheet sanded down to 0.27 mm thickness in order to achieve close to scale thickness.

PNB4SGr.jpg

KmsDlP2.jpg

TVVHKBa.jpg

p4XMrUk.jpg

RLpxNDA.jpg

Derek

One very simple but effective correction/modification is to reshape the tailplane fuselage fairing by sanding a flat onto the forward part and cutting the actuation slot into it (the tailplanes themselves will require adjustment at the roots, but then again, they would need to be in order to get a good fit on the unmodified kit anyway!).

rbSFF0v.jpg

6KuNB43.jpg

wI1kB9O.jpg

Derek

A better 'before and after' shot.

74nQQ3k.jpg

As related before, Tamiya failed to mould the left rear fuselage position light (only the right one - see above image). I decided to remedy this by making a copy of the right one, which I wil fix onto the left side. To do this, I am using a new (for me) product called Blue Stuff thermoplastic to use as a mould for the new light. This stuff goes soft in three minutes after immersion in hot water and can then be used as an imprint mould. I did this for the right light (and for a static vent below the right cockpit, as I had damaged the opposite left one and needed a replacement part), after which I mixed some Milliput and forced it into the newly created Blue Stuff moulds - we'll see how they turn out!

7xzSBov.jpg

6ce6qeu.jpg

T8MXXhS.jpg

c2yIoyc.jpg

xeqSUlH.jpg

r82Ij5o.jpg

8VMqeJZ.jpg

HvjJto3.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B