1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

On 10/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, Starfighter said:

Brilliant work, Derek! Just playing devil's advocate and I know you know the real thing inside out - are you sure the DACO drawings are correct? 

Hi Ben,

I think that Colin pretty well answered your question and also provided reassurance to me that I am on the right lines! Both DACO and Hargreaves drawings are very close together in agreement for overall length and shape - these also 'look right' when compared against aircraft photographs. The Warpaint drawings do look somewhat 'compressed' in comparison, which results in a deeper and shorter ventral tank, which Trumpeter may have used? (from Colin's observation, the Trumpeter EE lightning F.1A/F.3 ventral fuel tank also suffers from the same fatness, depth and length issues as the F.6/F.2A kit!).

Compare these images to the Trumpeter kit:

BP8uIew.jpg

gnUCCie.jpg

dTnovsT.jpg

7hlNlnN.jpg

kT2LEci.jpg

My ventral tank will be the non-cannon fuel only type (second picture above), which has a slightly more conical' forward bottom than the cannon version.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Yup this is real modelling in my book. Studying, planning and correcting. Nothings perfect (although it seems some of these new kits coming out are pretty darn close) and your doing amazing. 
I suspect many wouldn’t realise the issues and differences/corrections like my Phantom but if you enjoy it, like I do then it’s all worthwhile. We all on LSP benefit from projects like this  

Super cool and so nice to see your skills at work again 

Cheers Anthony 

On 10/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Yup this is real modelling in my book. Studying, planning and correcting. Nothings perfect (although it seems some of these new kits coming out are pretty darn close) and your doing amazing. 
I suspect many wouldn’t realise the issues and differences/corrections like my Phantom but if you enjoy it, like I do then it’s all worthwhile. We all on LSP benefit from projects like this  

Super cool and so nice to see your skills at work again 

Cheers Anthony 

Thank you for the very kind words Anthony...I could easily say the same thing about your work! 

Knowing what you want to achieve is half the battle - the rest of the battle is how to do it! (and there are many roads to accomplish that particular goal). In short, don't fear the scalpel or saw!

Cheers

Derek

This is exceptional - the Lightning is one of my all-time favourite aircraft and I've had to settle for a few of the Trumpeter kits over the years rather than the gorgeous kit that is the Echelon version - they always sell for a fortune when they come up! Seeing your very effective corrections has got me thinking that I may have a go at correcting one of my Trumpy kits - you have certainly improved the overall shape no end and it definitely reduces the 'stumpy' appearance very effectively. Hmmmm....

Looking forward to more!

All the best,

Tom

5 hours ago, Starfighter said:

That's the right mindset for sure, Derek - it has to look right. Like I said, I just wanted to play devil's advocate. I am sure the modified model will look spot on! 

Don't worry, I understood Ben! :) (BTW, your scratch builds are an inspiration to me, so keep up the fantastic work!).

Cheers

Derek

6 hours ago, tomprobert said:

This is exceptional - the Lightning is one of my all-time favourite aircraft and I've had to settle for a few of the Trumpeter kits over the years rather than the gorgeous kit that is the Echelon version - they always sell for a fortune when they come up! Seeing your very effective corrections has got me thinking that I may have a go at correcting one of my Trumpy kits - you have certainly improved the overall shape no end and it definitely reduces the 'stumpy' appearance very effectively. Hmmmm....

Looking forward to more!

All the best,

Tom

Thanks Tom. After seeing your work, that is high praise indeed! (thank you).

Most of the kit issues can be sorted to make the kit more accurate, it is just something that shouldn't really be necessary in the first place! The biggest problem is the shape of the windscreen, canopy and whole cockpit area, which is really difficult to correct without major rebuilding of the that part of the fuselage, so I have elected not to tackle that on this build (I shall, however, use the Aerocraft Models windscreen and canopy, which goes a long way to improving the finished appearance).

The ventral tank shape is almost as bad as the canopy error, but at least that is fixable, as you can see. The wing fix was easier than I expected (only a couple of hours work for each wing). The undercarriage is already too long, but when I have managed to correct the ventral fuel tank depth, I expect it to look even more stalk-like, so I may have to chop it down even further! 

I am just thinking about how to modify the spine? (it is too high at the fin; it should taper more). Some cut the spine and push it into the fuselage at the back - a quick and easy fix, but I feel that the panel line will then be at the wrong angle and require complete rescribing. I think that I will wait until I join the fuselage halves together and then sand the taper into it (hopefully without going through the plastic!).

Cheers

Derek