1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

wow!!... I like the Lightning...  :wub:  GO Derek GO!

very nice work... looking at this every day!

Salut M :popcorn:

Thank you Menelaos - I appreciate your support.

Regards

Derek

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Happy new year everyone!

Well, that was a quick 6 years!

I have spent the last three years completing a full kit master pattern, moved house and have been busy with other work stuff, so have not had time to pick this one up again - until now!

I reassessed the cockpit painting and was far from happy with what I had done, so ripped it apart (I glued it together too well, so it will require a little restoration/repair in areas) and covered the parts in Mr Muscle oven cleaner (from an aerosol can). It worked very well and removed all of the enamel paint having left it for 24 hours. Once I have returned all of the part to their original condition, I will see if I want to add any additional detail then repaint and rebuild the cockpit again. I will also continue with detailing the ejection seat.

I am also assessing and researching the kit to see where I want to correct it (it will not be a full kit correction, but hopefully, most of the key inaccurate features will be addressed). In terms of OAL, the kit is almost correct (just a few mm too long) and the wingspan a couple of mm short, so overall, not that far out. However, the wing leading edge seems to be a little too far forward (when looking at the fuselage panel line positions; specifically, its location in relation to the front edge of the 'Elephant's ear' panel), so I am now measuring drawings and images to determine the correct location and see if anything is out of position on the kit (it could be that the kit dimensions are actually close to correct, but that the wing is simply located a little too far forward? - I'll let you know).

If it does turn out to be just a wing position issue, then that will be a really easy fix and will not require the 5 mm fuselage plug extension, which although would correctly align the forward fuselage panel lines in relation to the wing leading edge, would then also make the fuselage (potentially) a little too long?

Derek

JxqYZMM.jpg

Edited by Derek B

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Yes - wing is too far forward Derek.

Adding a plug to the fuselage (I've also reduced depth of intake ring) and moving the wing back looks a lot better!

Don't quote me on anything exact - it's been a while since I had my masters out...

Iain

Cheers Iain - nice to have the wing position confirmed! It is a long while for me also, but I must admit that I have not really examined the aircraft geometry in any great detail until now, so I guess that we shall both learn something!

As the model OAL dimensions are more or less correct (give or take a couple of mm or so), and other modellers have taken the approach to move the wing aft by adding a 5 mm fuse' plug somewhere near the front spar to correct this (although some have also added it at the back of, or behind, the wing - probably because it has been stated that the fuselage length is 5 mm too short), it has caused me to question if this is, in fact, the correct thing to do? (as it would then make the OAL kit dimension too long).

I have not found an actual authorised published dimension for the length of the fuselage itself (minus probe), so this is, I believe, where the issue may lie? If the kit fuselage does turn out to be more or less correct in OAL, then I will simply move the wing back by the necessary amount for everything to look correct and not lengthen the fuselage unnecessarily, unless there is evidence to to indicate otherwise? If some one knows the actual length of the nose probe, then this could be factored in and OAL calculations re-made.

The intake trunking being short by 5 mm will still, obviously, need addressing (that is a definite error), plus many of the other things you have pointed out and worked hard to correct with your parts, but I may not do all of them fully (especially full correction of the windscreen and canopy), but I will improve them where I can (I am not making this model for me, so I am not going down the full correction route on this one, but for my own model, well, that may be a different matter altogether! :) ). 

Cheers

Derek

I used one of Franks' F Mk. 6 kits, along with the accompanying drawings (and the Airfix 1:48 kit), when I was working out what was needed to bring the Trumpeter kit up to his standards. I can remember the time he put into getting everything right - so that was the exemplar I used for reference. I think I only spotted one, very minor, thing he missed.

That gave me the 5mm plug - and a mm, or two off the intake ring - supported by dimensions of that area from a Lightning at the Coventry museum.

I know you are Derek, but to anyone else reading, be *vary* wary of the drawings that have been published over the years - and there's one set that I think Trumpeter used - matches almost perfectly.  ;)

Re. changes - absolutely - I think you need to draw a line somewhere on a project like this - you can't fix everything!  :deadhorse:

You're making me want to search out the patterns now!!

Iain

39 minutes ago, Iain said:

I used one of Franks' F Mk. 6 kits, along with the accompanying drawings (and the Airfix 1:48 kit), when I was working out what was needed to bring the Trumpeter kit up to his standards. I can remember the time he put into getting everything right - so that was the exemplar I used for reference. I think I only spotted one, very minor, thing he missed.

That gave me the 5mm plug - and a mm, or two off the intake ring - supported by dimensions of that area from a Lightning at the Coventry museum.

I know you are Derek, but to anyone else reading, be *vary* wary of the drawings that have been published over the years - and there's one set that I think Trumpeter used - matches almost perfectly.  ;)

Re. changes - absolutely - I think you need to draw a line somewhere on a project like this - you can't fix everything!  :deadhorse:

You're making me want to search out the patterns now!!

Iain

Sounds like you have done the hard work already if you have already established that the fuselage is 5 mm too short (I didn't know about the intake being too wide in depth) - well done! getting the dimensions correct is important, so I would love to see your findings in diagram form Iain! (you are correct about the drawings Iain - I have found the same thing with Phantoms - not a single drawing has the correct arrangement and size/location of the forward auxiliary doors for the British Phantoms!).

Yes, you do have to draw the line somewhere, but you have personally already gone more than far enough to help correct the main issues with your pattern work, so thank you for that (I hope that you manage to complete them one day).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek, 5mm in front of the wing is the way to go. 

Somewhere buried in amongst the build thread is the modifications I carried out including reducing the height of the main landing gear to improve the stance. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968955-trumpeter-132-f3/

PS I havn't forgotten the project lightning you asked me to do! 

Edited by Phartycr0c

10 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Hi Derek, %mm in front of the wing is the way to go. 

Somewhere buried in amongst the build thread is the modifications I carried out including reducing the height of the main landing gear to improve the stance. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968955-trumpeter-132-f3/

PS I havn't forgotten the project lightning you asked me to do! 

Thank you Dave...all of the planets are aligning! :)

Derek