1/48 Dragon Ju 88 G-6

Pastor John

Well got the RLM 75 on last night - not happy with it though. I used the Humbrol version of RLM 75 as all I had was that or Xtracolour. I love Xtracolour 76 but not their 75 as I find it too dark, well not sure I like the Humbrol offering either. Polyscale was the best i ever had colour wise and so I think I might try and mix my own and go over the mottle again. When looking again at photos of 3C+MN I noticed for the first time it also has the leading edge clouds seen on many G-6's from Winter 44/45 to end, also seen on one Mistel 3 on leading edge and fuselage. Not sure what the colour is but not white going by the good quality photos of the Mistel 3 in Robert Forsyth's Mistel book. I ended up using Radome Tan as nothing else I had was pale enough to give the contrast seen in photos. One more thing - I was looking through my photos of G-6's just to see how many had these clouds and I came across the colour photo of the Luftwaffe bone yard after the war. Photo was published by LIFE and is a close up of G-6 wreak from above right wing. To my great joy the engine cowl has the RLM 76 sprayed over darker colour and this darker colour is very different to the RLM 75 mottle seen in same photo nearby.

20150605_084357_zpsaysrdzmw.jpg20150605_084410_zps9kmufq86.jpg

Me too........................ Anyway  supplemented the pre-shading with a little grime in the various hatches etc. Also used Humbrol 100 to represent the paint / dope used by Luftwaffe where parts fit bad. Going to do a very little bit of work with pastels before glossing fun fun fun

20150606_161243_zps1q9nzmsa.jpg20150606_161421_zpsyo79efsm.jpg

Good to see you doing a build rather than slaving away on a conversion master.. :)

Very nice job you're doing on this as well John. Look forward to seeing the paint and decalling complete.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I am not happy with using my decals that represent the fuel cells on the spine - they stand out too much. I wish I had either tried to scribe them - (i hate scribing) or put them on after the RLM 76 and then sprayed over them a little to blend them in before applying the RLM 75 mottle. O well next time!