AFV Club: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1:35 scale

Elboogie

I started on the glare shield and the main IP.

So I applied the Nato Black mix that I told you guys about and painted the glare shield.  

When I was done painting, I applied the dry brushing of white to the shield.  It is not done yet though....

20150612_214009_zpsjq0zhiri.jpg

20150612_214022_zpsnlsyedso.jpg

And then I did the same thing with the main IP but I painted the IP Flat Black instead of Nato Black.

Followed up by drybrushing......

20150612_214612_zpsw7ffii4w.jpg

Now I did some switches on the IP section.

They turned out alright.  Then on the Main IP, the first thing that I did was apply the decals for the gauges, and then I applied Micro-Sol to them.

While looking at this ref picture of the Kiowa.......

DSC_0255_zps2lm9vdgo.jpg

I decided to do my MFD a little different this time.  Instead of painting the MFD black and then apply Clear green to it, I decided that I would use dark grey instead of black.

I think they look better.  Now ever since I have bought Vallejo Model Color paints to help me with my figures, I use them for everything.   :punk:

I like the way Vallejo lays down with a paint brush, no streaks and they lay down perfectly.  So....I just used Vallejo Paints and applied them to all the individual buttons.  

Then I used Gold and Silver to paint the switches that I created.

20150613_035406_zpsieaozysw.jpg

20150613_035240_zpsqden4qxs.jpg

And the switches.....

20150613_035329_zpsqmpnfz8y.jpg

Now don't mind my painting of the IP, I am still working on that part of my modeling.  It looks better a little further away...... :mental:

Richard

On the main IP the last thing that I did was added future to the gauges and the MFD's.

20150613_044301_zpsd3cniwmk.jpg

More tomorrow, I have have one more week of vacation left, so I plan on doing a lot of modeling before I have to go back to work.

Richard

Now I am thinking about the glare shield and the extra part on the glare shield:

glare%20shield_zps11mz9mbo.jpg

The part that is picked out in the picture on the glare shield, I tried to replicate that part:

20150612_214022_zps0g4taedp.jpg

But the problem is that I know that it is not black like the glare shield, but I cannot determine what color it is.  Does anyone has any suggestions?

It almost looks like copper to me but I am not sure.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

It is a balmy 102 degrees outside gentlemen in Las Vegas.

So needless to say, I didn't want to airbrush (because my station is in the garage) during the day.  

BUT.........

While masking off the glare shield to paint the part on top of the glare shield a different color, I forgot the rivets that I put in were decals.

So when I removed the masking.....I also removed the rivets that I put in.  So I put some more rivets on the glare shield.....

Then I went in my garage and repainted the glare shield.   In the heat....again.....lol

In the reference picture of the Kiowa, the part on the glare shield almost look like a new sheet of brass. I colored the part Alclad Copper to see how it will turn out, then I will apply a dark wash to it.

In the picture, I applied Mr. Super Clear to the glare shield to get it ready for the wash.

20150613_185049_zps1bqn08qv.jpg

Richard

It looks good Richard! I just found a pic of an ancient build I remembered while watching at the pic you posted of the glare shield.

IMG_9981_zpsgih7yjgp.jpg

It's Model Master's biffing metallizer "burnt iron" just in case you wanna give it a try

It looks good Richard! I just found a pic of an ancient build I remembered while watching at the pic you posted of the glare shield.

IMG_9981_zpsgih7yjgp.jpg

It's Model Master's biffing metallizer "burnt iron" just in case you wanna give it a try

That is the paint that I am missing!!   :BANGHEAD2:   

I was looking at all my Alclad and MM Metalizers that I have and I could not find the paint that would match.   I have everything Except for burnt iron.  

I have burnt metal but not burnt iron.  Thanks for the info kike gt.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

I then finished the glare shield by applying a dark wash and then dull coat.

Now you may see a decal on the upper left airbag of the glare shield.  

Don sent me a picture of a Kiowa that had the same placard in the same spot.  So I tried to replicate the placard.

It is not a placard, it is a decal.  Ran out of placards.....lol

OH-58DAirbag_zpslany6bpe.jpg

Model:

20150613_203343_zpsb6yhntz2.jpg

20150613_203337_zpsrzrgzz6c.jpg

On the back of the main IP, I installed some styrene squares where my cables will go. 

20150613_190434_zpswyvjoerp.jpg

Then I finished my cables that go from the middle console to the main IP.  It took me a little while but after about a hour, I 

said that is that.....lol.  Damn EZ line, they look fantastic to create wires on a IP but they are a PITA to work with.  But I think that I

made that area look a little more busy.

20150613_213908_zpsotthpah6.jpg

20150613_214408_zpsxk25s1ng.jpg

When I look at the last picture, I like the contrast of Black on the model.  Maybe it will stay that way when the cockpit is completed

to break up the all black cockpit.  

Richard

Here another late night in Las Vegas and the temperature today was 109 degrees.    :BANGHEAD2:

So needless to say, I didn't do any airbrushing today.....lol.

But I did start to work on my diorama for the helicopter......

20150615_181734_zpszorvmcjg.jpg

And to scale with the Kiowa:

20150615_181744_zpsptp0qj3o.jpg

The next thing that I did was the cyclic and the collective today.

Now the collectives and the cyclic that was included in the kit, I did not like them.  I am not creative enough to make a collective and cyclic from scratch, so what I did was glue some plasticard to both of them:

20150616_011331_zpsnodcyguy.jpg

Now what I plan on doing is file them to shape.  I worked on the collective and started to file it to shape, which was a little bigger than the collective that was included with the kit.

I tried to make the collective look like this:

DSCN7942_zpst5pjisrk.jpg

BUT....I made a mistake.  On the Kiowa that I am modelling this model after, (modern Kiowa), when I put the buttons on top of the collective, in the upper left hand corner, there is a red switch.  

But the Kiowa that I am modelling this model after, the red switch on the upper left hand corner is not there.  I was looking at another collective picture when I glue the buttons on the collective.  But I used "plastic welder" to glue the parts and I cannot remove the red switch without sacrificing the entire collective, so I kept it in its place.

And I put switches on them as well.  I am starting to get use to the technique of adding switches to the IP or collective..   :clap2:

20150616_014945_zpsd0jganfs.jpg

20150616_015213_zpsqzlmyybg.jpg

20150616_015146_zpsoom6kjxd.jpg

I think that it came out alright, at least a lot better that the collective that was included with the kit.

That is it for tonight, tomorrow I will work on the cyclics

Richard

looking good Rich,

I just got figures and helmets in 1/35 scale from this guy  while in France that does 3D work. I am blown away by the quality and the details of his products.

Look him up under Reedoak.com. You may want to add some helmets or pilots to your dio.

oliver

looking good Rich,

I just got figures and helmets in 1/35 scale from this guy  while in France that does 3D work. I am blown away by the quality and the details of his products.

Look him up under Reedoak.com. You may want to add some helmets or pilots to your dio.

oliver

Hey Oliver,

How was your visit in France?  I was thinking about getting the Helmets from Reedoak.com, but I have not yet.  I just wanted to see how they turn out and because you bought them and looked at them,

I will take your advice and get some of them form Norbert.   I was going to put a couple of helmets in the cockpit together as well, and a M4 but I really don't know.  But I will put a couple of helmets in the cockpit, that I do 

know.  I will look at reedoak.com and look over the pilots and may get a couple of helicopter pilots to go with my diorama.  Glad you are back and I am glad to hear from you.  

Richard

I finish my collective and the cyclics:

20150617_032106_zpsdiljzheg.jpg

Then I started working on the cockpit wiring in the upper middle console near the fire extinguisher:

And the lamp that I built above the map holder in the middle.

20150617_032154_zpsaaxhfbrf.jpg

More updates later.

Richard