AFV Club: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1:35 scale

Elboogie

Just a few questions:

Pictures speak better that words:

cockpit%201_zpsdbix5hde.jpg

#1..Is this a lamp?  And can it be moved?  I see some kiowas with the "lamp" up near the top of the roof near the console just above  the pilots head.

#2  Don't worry about #2, I found the answer out.

#3.  The seatbelts.  Can I use the seat belts from the UH-60 PE set that I have for the kiowa?

#4.  What is this part?  And is it in all kiowa's.

cockpit%202_zpsjnwz722q.jpg

Is this the flight book or log book(I really don't know what it is called... :mental: )?

Thanks for the information guys

Richard

OK.  So I tried to use Milliputt to create my new seats......lol......... :help:

I think that they turned out alright.  Now I have to wait for the milliputt to get rock hard so I can file it to shape.

The seats are on the left and the sheepskin cover for the seats are on the right.  The reason why I wanted to create the sheepskin

separate from the seats is because in my mind, they will be harder to add on the sheepskin when they are together.

20150606_030311_zpsa5dwusfd.jpg

We will see what they look like tomorrow after I sand them. 

:help:       :help:       LOL.....

Richard

Richard,

I used scenic snow for the sheepskins on the Seahawk. Make a template of the seats with thin styrene first then cover that with scenic snow...maybe someone here has another trick to share on sheepskins. the build is looking good.

Oliver

Richard,

I used scenic snow for the sheepskins on the Seahawk. Make a template of the seats with thin styrene first then cover that with scenic snow...maybe someone here has another trick to share on sheepskins. the build is looking good.

Oliver

I saw that on you Seahawk build.  I don't think my hobby shop sells it because that was one of the things I was looking for when I saw that you did that on the Seahawk.  I think I will try Erick suggestion of using some 

spare resin parts and using it on a piece of styrene before I apply it though.  I tried to use spare resin on the blackhawk but it did not turn out right.  Now I didn't do it on a template of the seats, I did it on the actual pilot seat.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I will try it on a SPARE piece (I have to remind myself of your suggestion....lol)  of material to see if that works.  

If not, then the seats will have to wait until I get some scenic snow online.

Richard

Very nice build with incredible details !

And i've just got the kit, which is very cheap (18€) but seems to be high quality, with a very crispy moulding. Your build will be my tuto. :)

That's exactly what i did for my F-16 seat :

050a6edd.jpg

I did this before on a F-16 Seat as well in the past and it came out looking amazing.

Now the picture above is exactly what I wanted my seats to look like on my last build which was the Black Hawk.  In the picture you can see the 

resin scraps are creating that sheep skin material that we all are looking for.  But when I primed my seats, the resin parts starting laying down and it didn't look like sheepskin.

Now on the F-16 seat that I did years ago, I didn't use a template of styrene and just applied the white glue on the seats and when I placed down the resin and primed it, it looked amazing.

On the Black Hawk, it did not.  So that was the reason why I was looking for another method.  But I will try it on a spare sheet of styrene and we will see.  Maybe I just didn't apply enough resin this time,

who knows... lol.

But thank you for the info and thank you for the pictures as well Zero77.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

I created my new seats from Milliputt.  Now because this was my first time creating seats from anything, It took me a little while.....lol!     :mental:

After about a hour of shaping and reshaping, and starting over and repeating the process again... I think I came up with my seats.

They are not done yet and I don't know if I will use them in the build, it depends on how they look when I am done.

I don't think it looks bad...

20150606_191425_zps0bl4gbir.jpg

20150606_191501_zps32egcr1c.jpg

Now in the above picture, I had to make the seats in two parts, the seat and the back of the seat.  I plan on putting them together

as one seat when I am done.

Richard

Also while creating my seats, I knew that I wanted to add some sheep skin to the seats.

So I created some templates to add the sheepskin onto the seats cover.

20150606_205320_zpsdhzl6i4p.jpg

Once again, I don't know if i will use it.  It depends on the final rendition, but since this is my first time building seats,
any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Richard

Making the seats as one.

Firs thing that I did was put in the map section on the back wall so I can measure where the seats are to be placed.

Then I taped the back of the seats into position.  Then I taped the wall to the cockpit floor.

Then I put the lower seat in the position that I wanted them to be in and then I glued the seat to the back of the seat.

20150606_212650_zpsovv3q3sj.jpg

Now making sure the glue didn't go all the way through the seats onto the plastic, I then removed the seats from the wall and they stood rigid

Then using a very small piece of Milliput, I made small strips and joined the two together.

20150606_215811_zpsaifzfsdo.jpg

That was my solution of joining the seats parts together to make it one seat.

Then while I had the seats together, I decided to scrap the sheep skin templates that I had made for the seats and I created some new ones.

20150606_223034_zpss4i9mwqx.jpg

I waited a hour for the Milliputt to start to get hard and then I removed the templates so they can fully cure.

20150606_235754_zps4vycqtdd.jpg

Richard

Looking at my model, I have been told that when I find a subject (reference picture) that I wanted to model the subject after, keep to it.

So I am modeling my Kiowa off of this reference picture:

DSC_0281_zps7eopqjjl.jpg

While waiting for the milliput to cure, I started on the console between the pilots.  I have always wanted to add switches to a console but I have never done so before.

Looking at the reference picture, I see 3 switches on that console.

console_zps01eaihzh.jpg

I decided that I wanted to try it.  I broke out a IP from the black hawk that I will never use and took out my smallest drill bit and proceeded to drill two holes.

then I placed 32 gauge wire in the holes and cut them to see what I was dealing with.  

20150607_002706_zps3zdxceit.jpg

So onto the middle console.  I drilled my 3 holes and the only thing that I was thinking about was to put the holes in the correct location......LOL

So while I did two holes and inserted wire in them, on my 3rd hole, the damn bit broke....... :BANGHEAD2:

20150607_021115_zpsoybip8bc.jpg

20150607_023004_zpsjqhzawhc.jpg

Good thing that I was fortunate to have something that I can hold onto to remove the bit from the plastic.  After that I inserted the 3rd wire.

Then I applied CA to the wires to make them glue in place and then after the glue cured, I cut the wire to the appropriate sizes.  After that I placed a small tip of ca to the switches to make them look like

switches instead of wire.

20150607_023942_zpsbaxbeaus.jpg

20150607_024002_zpsvowxgiuu.jpg

I know that someone will ask what happened to the back wall?  Well I made a mistake drilling in the holes in my back wall, but looking at the ref picture that I am modelling this Kiowa after,

I see a cover over the holes right next to the pilots seat on the right hand side that I need to make to cover my mistake on the holes.   

So give me some feedback on how you guys think the switches look, good or bad.

Richard

Hello Richard

I think you have the right idea with the switches. IMHO I see 4 switches, there is 1 more, top row, 2nd from left of the circuit breakers. I like your use of the CA on top of the wire to give it more of a rounded shape, maybe do the same at the base as this looks rounded as well. This is an expensive kit, and with all the added after market it just gets even more so! Your courage to try new practices on such an occasion is commendable :clap2:  I am very much enjoying this build of yours and wishing you every bit of success! I too am learning from watching you build, as I attempt to build my MH-60G, thank you for showing me the way :punk:

Sincerely

Anthony

Hello Richard

I think you have the right idea with the switches. IMHO I see 4 switches, there is 1 more, top row, 2nd from left of the circuit breakers. I like your use of the CA on top of the wire to give it more of a rounded shape, maybe do the same at the base as this looks rounded as well. This is an expensive kit, and with all the added after market it just gets even more so! Your courage to try new practices on such an occasion is commendable :clap2:  I am very much enjoying this build of yours and wishing you every bit of success! I too am learning from watching you build, as I attempt to build my MH-60G, thank you for showing me the way :punk:

Sincerely

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I am using a lot of techniques that I have not tried before on this Kiowa.  I just wanted to see how the switches came out.  Not too bad.

And I will put CA at the base because the base is looking weird to me.  Thanks for your support.

Richard

So I started on the wall or bulkhead and I tried to correct my mistake on the wholes,

Looking at the ref picture, there is a tarp to cover the holes on the bulkhead.

I tried to replicate this by using a small strip of card next to the seats and then used aluminum foil to create the tarp.

And above the holder for the map, it seems like there is something above the map holder that looks like it was a different material,

I duplicated it with alum foil as well.

20150607_175535_zpsmtklanfa.jpg

20150607_175551_zps5olkx55m.jpg

Here the bulkhead all primed up.

Then I used Erick and Zero77 suggestion on the sheepskin that I was trying to create.  I used white glue and spare resin that I sanded off and applied them to the seat templates.

20150607_215059_zpsykdwoovl.jpg

it looks a little raw now but that can be cleaned up.

Richard

I have been away for a couple of days but I am back and working on the sheep skin seats.

I got the seats and blew off the extra resin off of the templates.

Then I applied flat black to them.

20150610_193651_zpsaenoesrz.jpg

But when I put on the templates on the seats, the seats looked like they needed more work.

What happen with the seats is when I started filing the seats to shape, I only used a course file and when I started to wash the seats with a light grey wash,

that is when the marks in the milliput started to show.

So I treated the milliput like plastic and used medium and fine file to the seats and they look a lot better, then I repainted them.

This time I used grey pigment and weathered the side of the seats (the only part that we will see) and then I taped the templates to see how they will look.

20150610_194752_zps5uvu7lb9.jpg

They look alright, I may need to do some more work on them.

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

So I taped the cockpit together and my seats to see what the whole thing looked like:

20150610_234136_zpsoy0gcejn.jpg

I just painted the back wall or the bulkhead black to see what the alum strips look like.  It will be repainted.

And I have not did any washes or anything to the seats yet.

Richard

I decided on a few things.

First.   I was not going to detail the avionic bay in the back of the helicopter.

I don't know if I can do it for one, and the second, if I took on that endeavor, I would take me too much time.

I will detail the engine instead and close the avionics bay.  Because I wasn't going to detail the avionics bay, I simply painted everything in there Nato Black.

No weathering or nothing.

Not in the cockpit area, I used Flat black, Nato Black, and a mixture of White with Nato Black to add in the panel area.

When I gloss coat the cockpit is when I will add pigments, etc.

20150612_013731_zpsylcn4i1u.jpg

20150612_013554_zpsufptemsm.jpg

And the switches that I did, look like switches.......lol

20150612_013540_zps8zctzffy.jpg

20150612_013514_zpsfmknbekc.jpg

I am glad they turned out alright.

I am nowhere near done with the cockpit yet though, I still have a lot of things to do.

Richard