AFV Club: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1:35 scale

Elboogie

What book is that? Richard    I think Concord also did a book to. Or it was under there Assault series. 

The squadron book that you mentioned.  The author of the book is Floyd Werner from Werner Wings.

Richard

You threw a curve ball at me. I thought there was another book that he put out.

Hope to see some OH-58 work soon

Cheers

Oh I am sorry for the curve ball, I meant the same book that you mentioned.  lol

Richard

OK, I have decided to do a modern Kiowa Warrior modeled after 2010.

So that means that I have to do a couple of things.  The first thing that I planned on doing is getting the Kiowa update set from Werner Wings because they have 

the radar antenna and the GPS receiver on the tailboom.  

DSC_0127_zpsig3duaqt.jpg

The second thing that I am waiting for is the Squadron book on the Kiowa Warrior to see the reference pictures that are in there.

Now I know that I am doing a modern Kiowa I have to add something to the glare shields, which are airbags:

OH-58D_850x-4_zpst3coy2vu.jpg

No Idea on how to add those to the glare shield but I will come up with a way.

If anyone has a picture of a modern Kiowa and their glare shield so I can see the top of the glare shield, that would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I have the cockpit out and seeing what detailing that I have to do with that.  

Richard

Alright the first steps that I did was cutting the fuselage from the sprues and taping it together to see what I am dealing with.

Now the surgery has not been done yet to add the Werner Wings detail set to the top of the helicopter.

Man talk about small, compared to the Black Hawk that I just did.

BUT it has excellent details, and I love the raised rivets on the fuselage.  I wished Academy would do the same with the MHL DAP kit as well as the MH-60s kit.

20150601_201048_zps4ud8bjcc.jpg

Then I looked at the windshield and I taped it to see where I am with the windshield.  I have been reading some reviews where some people have problems with the windshield not fitting properly.

Mine doesn't have the same problems because from what I can see, the windshield fits ALMOST perfectly.  Once again, no surgery has been done yet, I am just commenting on what I can see now:

20150601_201456_zps4je576oe.jpg

20150601_201511_zpsujgyjnfk.jpg

20150601_201523_zpssejglekf.jpg

The only problem that I can see is the roof of the windshield, there seems to be a gap between the windshield and the fuselage.

20150601_201552_zpstgdtwbbk.jpg

I do not know when I install the werner wings detail set to my bird if it will correct the problem, but it is not that bad.  Nothing that some filler won't correct.

But we will see what the fit of the windshield looks like after the surgery.   lol

Richard

Yeah that was the first place that I looked because they have decent shots of the black hawk.  I got some ref pictures from those as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

Bottom chin window fitting is not bad at all:

20150601_223951_zpskzawembm.jpg

BUT:

This is why I hate clear parts.

When the manufacturer of the kit creates the clear parts on certain models, they windows that are attached to the sprue is in a point to where when we remove the part, we are left with this.

20150601_224029_zpshy1feqbg.jpg

I know that it is not their fault, that the only way to create the clear part sprue.  But I wish there was another way then can attach the windows to their sprue.

Other side is not bad but it is still there:

20150601_224053_zpsjspxvqdf.jpg

Now the mark on the chin windows is deep in there so there is no such thing as sanding with micro mesh to straighten the area out.

The mark is not on the windshield, it is in the windshield.  If anyone has a suggestion or a technique that they wish to share to remove this, I will gladly appreciate it.

Richard

Hi

As far as the mark on the wind shield goes...are you sure it can be sanded  with micro mesh? if that doesn't work dipping your windshield in future should even it out a bit and if that doesn't work you may do a very light dusting of earth color just on top of windshiled to mask the mark. 

To minimize marks on clear parts, do not cut them off the sprue but slice them off with a blade, the pressure from the cutting tool on the part creates stress.

Oliver 

Hi

As far as the mark on the wind shield goes...are you sure it can be sanded  with micro mesh? if that doesn't work dipping your windshield in future should even it out a bit and if that doesn't work you may do a very light dusting of earth color just on top of windshiled to mask the mark. 

To minimize marks on clear parts, do not cut them off the sprue but slice them off with a blade, the pressure from the cutting tool on the part creates stress.

Oliver 

I"ve got you Oliver,  I will use my knife from now on.  I will try to straighten the mark out with micro-mesh and future.

But like you said, if the mark is still there, because it is on a chin window, I may be able to cover the spot with Earth color pigment.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Richard

Alright, the first thing that I attacked was the cockpit.
I first taped the cockpit together (or the glare shield and the IP):

20150602_172541_zps6j0ubvq8.jpg

20150602_172554_zpsxbdwm23h.jpg

So I noticed that one of the things that I had to make to model a modern Kiowa is install the air bags (which I have no idea on what to do....lol) and the extra thing in the middle of the glare shield.
1. air bags
2. the thing in the middle....lol

oh-58d-kw-rollout-cockpit1_zpsif47gcqx.j

On this:

20150602_184044_zps5cpkf6sb.jpg

The next thing that I was looking at is the wires that go from the main IP to the middle console. Because you can see the wires thru the chin windows, I wanted to make that are looked really good.

c300bbbd-1c65-4de5-9176-0423360e9fc0_zps

But using this:

20150602_191349_zpsc4rdgvky.jpg

The wires will give me a chance to use my EZ wire that I just bought. I noticed some structural difference on that part that is not included on the kit part. 
That will need to be addressed as well.

Now I am trying to create a accurate model, as accurate as I can make it, but there are some areas where I will use creative licensing to do my own thing.
I will model the Kiowa off of the information that you guys give me and the reference pictures that I gather. 

Back to work.

Richard 

Edited by Elboogie

So I did a small update on the cockpit.

I added the parts to the middle console that will house some of my wires going from the main IP to itself.

I followed a  ref picture and tried to match what I saw.

20150603_004606_zpshovhx4oq.jpg

I have to shape the hose so its to scale, but other than that, I think I did that area correctly.

The wires that go to the main IP and the middle console will be housed in those parts that I created.

I am hoping that it looks better when its painted and have placards attached to it.

Richard