AFV Club: OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1:35 scale

Elboogie

Good Afternoon Gentlemen.

Project:  AFV Club OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

AM Parts: Zactoman's OH-58 Exterior Set.  Fireball Modelworks "Skulls and Spurs" Decal Set.

I want to detail this Warrior a little bit on this build.  I am not a good scratch builder and I am limited on what I can reproduce.  SO the detailing will depends on my skills.   :help:

Now I have been looking at certain builds of the Kiowa and looking at Floyd's build, he mention the kit that he was doing was the MRC kit.

Now he mention what parts to use or not to use because of fitting problems that you will run into later in the build.  Thanks Floyd for the heads up.

But I was wondering if anyone built the AFV Club Kiowa and is there any fitting problems with that kit as well?

I would want to know if I built this kit from the box, is there any problems with the windshield fitting, etc.  Now being that this is my second helicopter, I did some research on the helicopter.

Now when I looked at prime portal and guncopter, google images, there weren't a lot.  

One thing though:   On Kiowa Wariiors, from 2009, they are armed with the M3P .50 caliber machine gun instead of the XM296 in its pod.  I cannot find that gun in 1/35 scale.  Bummer because that gun looks bad as hell.

I have more questions, but that can wait.   :mental:

So welcome to my build and I hope I can do the Kiowa Warrior justice when I am done.

Richard

Rich.

The Kiowa was my first entry into modeling contests. I recall it being great kit or have any issues with it. The rotor system is a little challenging in the gluing process. Have fun with it.

You can push the weathering on this one if you are doing a helo in operation.

Rich.

The Kiowa was my first entry into modeling contests. I recall it being great kit or have any issues with it. The rotor system is a little challenging in the gluing process. Have fun with it.

You can push the weathering on this one if you are doing a helo in operation.

Thanks Oliver.

When I looked at the images on google, the Kiowa's were heavily weathered.  Leaves a lot of options to choose from.  I am still looking at the kit 

and getting everything together in my mind....lol

Richard

Edited by Elboogie

http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/bilder/files/gallery/1/mrc-oh-58d-kiowa-warrior-07.jpg

This is my very first helo trying weathering technics...oh boy..

It is a good model Oliver.  I see that you up your game in the weathering department since that build, and I see the detailing is still going strong.

Richard

It is a good model Oliver.  I see that you up your game in the weathering department since that build, and I see the detailing is still going strong.

Richard

it was 10 ago when I built the Kiowa...Times flies.

It ended on the ground in pieces....thanks to the maid we had hired for a day to help out .

it was 10 ago when I built the Kiowa...Times flies.

It ended on the ground in pieces....thanks to the maid we had hired for a day to help out .

I knew you must have been mad as hell.  

Richard

Does anyone have pictures of the cockpit area?

I looked it up in google, but there were not a lot available.

The thing that I am looking for is any pictures that will let me know where the wires from the main IP goes.

At least until I get the Squadron book at least.

Richard

Glad it was the Kiowa instead of the MI 4 Hound. 

Well at least it is something that you can live with.  Have you did another Kiowa since that time?

Might be good to recreate and see how far you have gone since that build.

Richard

Well at least it is something that you can live with.  Have you did another Kiowa since that time?

Might be good to recreate and see how far you have gone since that build.

Richard

I have not done another Kiowa since. Its been on my list.

I just read that the Westland Wessex will be coming in 1/32 scale soon. I think its an all resin kit. Looking forward to that one.

Did u find your cockpit photos for the Kiowa?

Have you given some thoughts how you are gonna tackle the black cockpit?

Oliver

How about the Squadron Walk Around Book on the OH-58?  It seems nice to have for help!

Cheers

I think I will get that book that Floyd created, he recommended it to me.

Its has the reference pictures that I am looking for ....I think.  lol

Richard

I think I will get that book that Floyd created, he recommended it to me.

Its has the reference pictures that I am looking for ....I think.  lol

Richard

What book is that? Richard    I think Concord also did a book to. Or it was under there Assault series.