Revel and Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 kits - a comparison

D Bellis

Maybe I wrote it too foggy but when I say that I have seen the tool and yes ,Henri made a huge rigid tool with different probes to slide in and out to get even the shape correct as some mathematician would try to create a curb with a complex function, then I mean it. Dont get me wrong if I say that a ruler is not the tool you would try to measure a round part. Eyesight, angles, calculating mistakes when converting back to metric aso. Also, where is the problem with trusting two models and a guy known for his proper work instead of getting hooked on one favorite model? Having stated it two times , the relations at original pictures dont fit to the new mold hasegawa kit either. Dont forget that there are also differences in spinner-diameters from the first A-1( being smaller) to the later versions.

... I don't think it would matter to some people - even if Henri owned a full range of original props and spinners that were delivered from the factory to his front door, at the time they were in production ... some people would still not believe his work is on the money ... there'd be an excuse, like the ruler was off!

Having seen some of his "how to" measuring work on other threads though ... you won't find me betting agains't him.

Rog :)

Thanks GeeBee ad RBrown!  I know Karaya released some decal sheets based on profiles in these books (which I need to pick up on my next trip to Eastern Europe).  I wonder if any of the sheets have the bomb markings?

I was about to post my measurements from the Fw 190F-8 I came across in Kissimmee Florida but, without knowing the provenance of the spinner, what's the point?

Fw190F8Spinner.jpg

Regards,

Edited by sharkmotuh

Good for Henri. But:

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_tshirt-p23

:deadhorse:

D

Well suit yourself. I was just trying to give on useful info. If you dont want it its up to you. I have bought too much useless resin stuff from aftermarket suppliers in the states for the FW and most of that went practically straight into the bin thanks to good photographs and bad quality of the part itself. I dont want to name any but there were spinners and blades only minorly modified as well as other parts not up to the standards and quality I want. This is why I trust Henri and the parts he makes after proper archive and museum research are beyond critics.

And, some people will believe anything just because it is attributed to a reliable source.

D

unbelievable... Anyway some people do that because they like what they do for a hobby and Henri is one of these guys. There is also the point he is NOT making money with it since nobody would want to pay for his research and visits to sites and part owners. You want him to post pics with measurements in the net? Well believe it or not he is even listing up references and part numbers but at some point some people dont believe it anyway or even copy his fantastic work and before I get upset over some facts here I just let it be. Have a good day gents...

Thanks GeeBee ad RBrown!  I know Karaya released some decal sheets based on profiles in these books (which I need to pick up on my next trip to Eastern Europe).  I wonder if any of the sheets have the bomb markings?

I was about to post my measurements from the Fw 190F-8 I came across in Kissimmee Florida but, without knowing the provenance of the spinner, what's the point?

Fw190F8Spinner.jpg

Regards,

Shark-M

the link is not working!

regards

Good for Henri. But:

pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_tshirt-p23

:deadhorse:

D

The link shows the same method Henri use to measure the spinner on the D-9 and A-8.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1257

BTW -

AM are similar to our believes, everyone has it own favourite. That is good so and no reason for a new crusader trip - amen ;)

unbelievable...

What is unbelievable is that folks don't seem to understand that stating "this guy said this, and that guy said that" is utterly useless. Name dropping is also useless.

Show proof of what Henri measured and you have undeniable proof. Don't show it and the words are just hearsay.

Otherwise, Bill Strandberg has stated that he personally measured an Fw 190F-8 spinner and posted the results HERE. Not hearsay. Not rumor. First hand information. Is Bill Strandberg's information incorrect? Maybe. But, no one has offered up any actual proof of that, yet.

"I know a guy that knows a guy that said he measured..." isn't proof of anything.

D

Fw190F8Spinner.jpg

Still an interesting pic, though. No spinner back plate. No fan. Non-standard prop blades (US? Brit?). That spinner itself also looks quite a bit different from those originals posted by RBrown HERE.

Still wouldn't mind having any dimensions you had taken of it, particularly the overall diameter at the base. This spinner's measurements might not apply to an Fw 190, but it might be useful for sorting out Ju 88 or possibly other spinners.

D

The Fw 190A spinner is composed of two parts riveted together. The parts can be described as the cone and the drum which accommodates the prop itself. The cone is obviously tapered, but apparently so is the drum. The taper on the drum is subtle, but it is evident on photographs and it is also documented on the Bentley plans.  When Mr. S measured the circumference of the spinner he measured it at point in front of the prop and not at the base plate.  

This would result in error because it does not allow for the taper.   Although S. assumed that the this portion of the spinner was of constant diameter, and even mentions this in the post, I think he was mistaken.  Clearly S. made a honest attempt, and I commend him for his efforts,  but I now have doubts about the accuracy of the figures he provided with respect to the circumference of the spinner. 

0000fw190-spinner-1.jpg

Edited by RBrown

Hi Guys,

Having read posting 136 and the link to the 109 prop there, seen how the spinner has been measured etc, I can only say that someone here is completely missing the point. If that's how Henri Daehne does his research I for one will stand up and say I trust his work. Look how many points he's clocked to get the curve of the spinner correctly. It's not a quick eyeball job, is it? His prop kits have photos of the original full scale parts, the actual ones he had modelled, scale drawings, dimensions, part numbers from the actual items, etc. I've got most of Henri's props and they all have references, drawings, photos. Not just bits of resin in a bag. He's done the leg work doing the research properly. His mastering skills are stunning. If you haven't got one of Henri's models you really aren't in a position to comment about accuracy.

Now throw in RBrown's comments in 142 and compare the difference in measuring technique. Not quite in the same league I'm afraid.

There's only one other person I'd trust with mastering parts, having done research with him for armour kits many, many moons ago. The same "hands on" skill set, the same eye for detail, the same desire to get it perfect. If we could get them together..........

Step forward Wunwinglow!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby