Revel and Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 kits - a comparison

D Bellis

Here are photos of the actual aircraft for which Revell has provided decal options.   

Focke_Wulf_Fw_190_F8_SG10_Black_6_CzechoFocke_Wulf_Fw_190_F8_SG10_Black_6_Czecho

Darn!  I almost got this kit thinking there exists a photo of a Fw 190F-8 with a shark mouth on the fuel tank!  None there at all!

Regards,

Contact!

Air Modeller issue 15 from 2007/08.  The author, Eric Larger, concluded that they were either training aircraft or, in his opinion, the numbers indicated where the aircraft fitted into a repair sequence.

Personally this latter sounds a little odd to me as the numbers are surely bigger and neater than would be necesasry for that purpose but I'm no sort of expert on this so he may well be correct, although I'd go with the training unit hypothesis myself.

Thanks Boris,

I have yet to see anything hung under a Fw 190 with a sharkmouth. ;)

Regards,

Hello Sharkmouth,

I thought the same thing as you and discussed it with a friend and don't be surprised the day after  somebody on some site did put up a pic with the sharkmouth on the bomb, exactly as in the revell kit,I have been searching for the pic today but havent found it and I dont remembe ron  which site I saw it .

Hope someone can chime in here if they remember or have seen the pic I referred to.

Cheers

Boris

"Fw-190 in foreign service" (Vol.2  KECAY books) has some pictures.

http://www.karaya.pl/en/kecay/0/captured-butcherbirds-fw-190s-part-2-in-foreign-service-kcy05.html?ref=/en/kecay/0/3/1/items.html

One of these hungarians Fw-190 F-8 #54 has "sharkmouths" painted on its wing and belly bombs :coolio:

Edited by GeeBee

You're welcome, and thank you!

Bill Strandberg also purportedly measured the real thing (Fw 190F-8 at the NASM Udvar Hazy facility), which is what I went by:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1361876091/Fw+190+A-F+Spinners

Until I see a photo of someone holding a measuring instrument against an original Fw 190A/F/G spinner, no one's information is any more or less credible.

D

Well, let me try to put it this this way:

Being myself an aircraft mechanic, having seen the real thing more than once and discussing the "new mold-hasegawa" over the tool with Henri for some days I dont doubt his word. He is a tool-maker of the old school and he mentioned a fact to me that even with original parts measured there are differnce from up to 1cm ! Between part and original drawing taken from archives in museums. And I am not talking about drawings which were made after the war but production drawings. So one has to just take a look at pics and compare them to the model and you will see the fan is out of proportion together with the spinner. :)

Well, let me try to put it this this way:

This is where it gets fuzzy. Nothing for or against anyone, but...

Until I see a photo of someone holding a measuring instrument against an original Fw 190A/F/G spinner, no one's information is any more or less credible.

It isn't about people or their credentials. Nor is it about attempting to interpret measurements from photographs. It is strictly about facts. One guy says for sure that it measured out to one thing, while another guy says that still another guy said for sure it measured out to something different. There's no conclusive proof either way. Until there is conclusive proof, the statement in the first post stands.

If anyone out there has an Fw 190A/F/G spinner to measure, we'd all love to see a ruler laid across the base of it.

D

Hello,

Thanks guys that is the pic I saw!!

Interesting so the original factory drawings do not have the same measurments as the original spinners so different original aircraft can have different  sizes on those parts.

Cheers

Boris

This is where it gets fuzzy. Nothing for or against anyone, but...

It isn't about people or their credentials. Nor is it about attempting to interpret measurements from photographs. It is strictly about facts. One guy says for sure that it measured out to one thing, while another guy says that still another guy said for sure it measured out to something different. There's no conclusive proof either way. Until there is conclusive proof, the statement in the first post stands.

If anyone out there has an Fw 190A/F/G spinner to measure, we'd all love to see a ruler laid across the base of it.

D

Maybe I wrote it too foggy but when I say that I have seen the tool and yes ,Henri made a huge rigid tool with different probes to slide in and out to get even the shape correct as some mathematician would try to create a curb with a complex function, then I mean it. Dont get me wrong if I say that a ruler is not the tool you would try to measure a round part. Eyesight, angles, calculating mistakes when converting back to metric aso. Also, where is the problem with trusting two models and a guy known for his proper work instead of getting hooked on one favorite model? Having stated it two times , the relations at original pictures dont fit to the new mold hasegawa kit either. Dont forget that there are also differences in spinner-diameters from the first A-1( being smaller) to the later versions.