Revel and Hasegawa Fw 190F-8 kits - a comparison

D Bellis

Either way, if you think about it, since its pretty evident that the photo was taken during the last days of the war, if not right after, that the pic is legit.....................which means even if someone painted the 70 on after the planes were captured (although I have to admit................I have no CLUE why any allied personnel would write or paint anything on a captured bird like that or why on earth they would spend even a few min on it, or for that matter even what purpose it would serve, as it would serve no advantage to the war effort, nor propaganda nor anything that I could think of) by German or Allied personnel, if you made a model of it exactly as it appears, it is still technically 100% accurate.     

I would recommend asking someone really in the know about German WWII birds......................there seem to be no shortage of those guys round here. Maybe even JamesH as he has already built this kit in that livery, and may have some insight on the documentation on it.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble.  It's just that it looks out of place.  I haven't seen a similar cowl number on any other FW 190's .  Seems like there would be a reason for it, especially since the aircraft already has a number on it.

No, I think any adult discussion can never be a bad thing at all. It tends to degrade more elsewhere than LSP however.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Do you know of any wartime photographic evidence of FW 190's with a similar cowl number?  Because I sure don't.

Yes.

Flugzeug Profile 9 Fw 190, page 10 shows a Fw 190 with "223" in white on the cowling.

Hei, guys. May I be allowed to add my two euro-cents? I thank the author for the comparison and since I have been lucky to have both kits for comparison I agree with most of the findings. But I may want to correct the author in regards of the fan and spinner. The old hasegawa kit has the correct spinner diameter as does the new revell kit. The newer kit-spinner from hasegawa is to small with having the correct shape. You can see that on the new hasegawa fan since the blades of this appear to long and narrow. Also a good friend of mine, Henri Dähne known for his superb and accurate props and spinners has been measuring the original parts and produced a superb prop and spinner for the FW190. As you may guess the diameter of this one is identical to those to kits and can be put onto the new mold hasegawa spinner with minor mods. I personally like the Revell much better since all parts for the undercarriage are more advanced and more proper in detail. Hasegwa took some shortcuts there and this is really the point together with the engine and the canopies where Revell wins hands down. Another thing are the superb cooling grills which are better in shape and openings. Hasegawas are too long and thin. Panel lines are more not as deeply engraved as on the Hasegawa kit and in most places more correct. A quick word to the underside with the two guide brackets mentioned. Those were indeed used on a FW190 with an ETC bguiding exhaust gasses backwards without polluting gears and underside of the wing. Again those are only my observations and hopefully they are received as addendum to the great review/comparison. Cheers

You're welcome, and thank you!

Henri Dähne known for his superb and accurate props and spinners has been measuring the original parts and produced a superb prop and spinner for the FW190.

Bill Strandberg also purportedly measured the real thing (Fw 190F-8 at the NASM Udvar Hazy facility), which is what I went by:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1361876091/Fw+190+A-F+Spinners

Until I see a photo of someone holding a measuring instrument against an original Fw 190A/F/G spinner, no one's information is any more or less credible.

D

Fockewings, just to clarify things: When you say 'old' Hasegawa kit, do you mean the 70's stuff? So then the 'new' kit is the more recent (not really new) Fw190F-8?

You also threw me by saying the 'new' Hasegawa spinner has the correct shape. I thought that was the primary problem with the 'more-recent' Hasegawa spinner: it is too pointy.